VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Share

    Poll

    Who is Ottawa's female parental unit diddling #2 prospect (under 25 NHL GP)?

    [ 1 ]
    9% [9%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    9% [9%] 
    [ 9 ]
    82% [82%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 

    Total Votes: 11

    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13356
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:23 pm

    Michallica wrote:You should have shown us that at the end of all the polls to see how we match up against the sens scouts!  But you ruined it! :slap:
    **** written by Garioch.take it for what it's worth. All the players are from prior draft so I would imagine this is pre draft? And maybe even a while back? Does it include recent performance?



    EDIT: ya it was written last year. So it pretty much doesn't take into account the recent development of players from last year.

    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21017
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by Ev on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:51 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    Michallica wrote:You should have shown us that at the end of all the polls to see how we match up against the sens scouts!  But you ruined it! :slap:
    **** written by Garioch.take it for what it's worth. All the players are from prior draft so I would imagine this is pre draft? And maybe even a while back? Does it include recent performance?



    EDIT: ya it was written last year. So it pretty much doesn't take into account the recent development of players from last year.

    Garrioch didn't do the rankings and he is the most connected guy anyway.

    This was written in the winter of this year. Not last year. If it was last year Paul wouldn't be in the top 100.

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by wprager on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:26 am

    Well since none of those top-10 are generational talents then, naturally, the first rounders from this draft go right to the top. According to Ev.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21017
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by Ev on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:29 am

    wprager wrote:Well since none of those top-10 are generational talents then, naturally, the first rounders from this draft go right to the top.  According to Ev.

    Next year's future watch will no doubt have Chabot in White in the Top 3-4 with O'Connor and Paul ( if he isn't in the NHL)
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by wprager on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

    Oh, well, might as well keep it unanimous. Prince and Puempel aren't that far apart but I doubt both play for the Sens, and Puempel is organizational favorite (both got called up but Prince only got one game; there were rumblings about Prince's attitude).

    The more I read about White the more interesting he becomes but if he's committed to BC next season then the earliest we see him in Bingo is at the end of 2015-16 (when BC's season is done and Bingo is, hopefully, still in the playoffs). So no chance at a callup this season unless the Sens are completely out of it. Most likely outcome is White spends 1-2 seasons in BC and then 2-1 seasons in the AHL, so 3 seasons before he pushes for a full-time roster spot. Hard to get excited at that.

    Puempel showed last season he deserves a roster spot; no-one else is that close. And he's a goal scorer to boot.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54631
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

    I don't even know why I voted. I have to wait until white is off the board to pick differently
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21017
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by Ev on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:41 am

    wprager wrote:Oh, well, might as well keep it unanimous.  Prince and Puempel aren't that far apart but I doubt both play for the Sens, and Puempel is organizational favorite (both got called up but Prince only got one game; there were rumblings about Prince's attitude).

    The more I read about White the more interesting he becomes but if he's committed to BC next season then the earliest we see him in Bingo is at the end of 2015-16 (when BC's season is done and Bingo is, hopefully, still in the playoffs).  So no chance at a callup this season unless the Sens are completely out of it.  Most likely outcome is White spends 1-2 seasons in BC and then 2-1 seasons in the AHL, so 3 seasons before he pushes for a full-time roster spot.  Hard to get excited at that.

    Puempel showed last season he deserves a roster spot; no-one else is that close.  And he's a goal scorer to boot.

    He won't take that long based on Dorion's comments and everything we know about him. Might not need any AHL time at all.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by wprager on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:17 am

    Name the last NCAA sophomore that made the jump directly to the NHL.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by wprager on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:24 am

    Johhny Hockey was a sophomore at BC in 2012-13 when he won the Hobey Baker. He ended up playing one more season in BC (got a one-game callup at the end of the season) and then was ROTY finalist last year.

    I think it's fair to say that jumping into the NHL after your freshman season in the NCAA is very rare.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by wprager on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:24 am

    Eichel is about to do it.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21017
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by Ev on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:33 am

    wprager wrote:Johhny Hockey was a sophomore at BC in 2012-13 when he won the Hobey Baker.  He ended up playing one more season in BC (got a one-game callup at the end of the season) and then was ROTY finalist last year.

    I think it's fair to say that jumping into the NHL after your freshman season in the NCAA is very rare.

    You're talking about a completely different type of player in Gaudreau. Colin White is very much like Lazar and will be in the NHL in two years at the most.

    There are probably lots of guys who played in the NCAA the year after they were drafted then played NHL the year after, with maybe bit of AHL time in between. Chris Kreider is one, Dylan Larkin will be one (a guy extremely similar to White). Jacob Trouba is one. Noah Hanifin will play NHL this year.

    Your asking to compare to other players but each player is a different case. White has the ability to play in the NHL quicker than most because of his pro-style two-way game and skating ability.

    Here are similar players:

    Patrice Bergeron and Ryan O'Reilly were 2nd rounders who made the NHL right after they were drafted.

    Zemgus Girgensons played AHL right after being drafted then played in the NHL the year after.

    Larkin played one season NCAA and will be in the NHL this year at some point at least.

    Lazar played one season WHL then made the Sens.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by NEELY on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:45 pm

    Was between Wikstrand and Puempel... went with Wikstrand. I know too much about the guy at this point to not put him in the top 3. Hasn't played a game on NA ice as a pro but high hopes.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by NEELY on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:55 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:I don't know what you are talking about. White won't come in for me until 4rth or 5th. I'm ranking Chabot ahead of him and I'm tempted to slide Prince in there also. To me Prince has top6 forward potential. I'm not sure if white can get there. He has to really work at developing his offence from what I heard. He does everything else right.

    I think White is a much safer bet to be an NHLer than Chabot and I would put him ahead.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13356
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:34 pm

    NEELY wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:I don't know what you are talking about. White won't come in for me until 4rth or 5th. I'm ranking Chabot ahead of him and I'm tempted to slide Prince in there also. To me Prince has top6 forward potential. I'm not sure if white can get there. He has to really work at developing his offence from what I heard. He does everything else right.

    I think White is a much safer bet to be an NHLer than Chabot and I would put him ahead.
    I think he's probably one of the safest bet you're right but it's his upside that I'm unsure of. Like I mentioned before, is it bergeron or chris Kelly. I'm not sure. If it's chris Kelly than I would for sure rank chabot ahead. And that's why I'm a convo about ranking I'll go with a bit of skepticism after players a re just drafted.
    The low side of Chabot has him as a top 4 guy. Which to me is better than a chris Kelly type.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13356
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:38 pm

    NEELY wrote:Was between Wikstrand and Puempel... went with Wikstrand.  I know too much about the guy at this point to not put him in the top 3.  Hasn't played a game on NA ice as a pro but high hopes.
    Remember the last guy that hadn't played a game in NA that was being named the best D outside NA? Ya.... That sure hit a dive.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10071
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by spader on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:48 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    NEELY wrote:Was between Wikstrand and Puempel... went with Wikstrand.  I know too much about the guy at this point to not put him in the top 3.  Hasn't played a game on NA ice as a pro but high hopes.
    Remember the last guy that hadn't played a game in NA that was being named the best D outside NA? Ya.... That sure hit a dive.

    The one before that turned out pretty well though. Nod
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by wprager on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:56 pm

    Rundblad generated a lot of buzz because he was breaking SEL records. At the time I took a look at the all-time SEL full-season points leaders and didn't see any well-known NHLers among the top-quit-a-few. But I don't think Wikstrand is setting the SEL on fire with point production.

    As for Chabot, I hate to say it, but he reminds be a lot of Wiercioch. He took a hell of a lot longer to get to the NHL than we all thought and almost didn't make it based on how he was treated in the first half of last year.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    Sponsored content

    Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #2 (2015)

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:44 pm