Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:35 pm

tim1_2 wrote:I honestly think a one year deal makes sense for both sides. You'd think they'd be able to come to a $2.8Mish compromise before arbitration, but who knows.

The team might want to pay a little more for a one-year to have another go at Hoffman with RFA status. And Hoffman might lean towards a discounted 2 year deal to lead into a UFA windfall.

more to come
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54631
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by PTFlea on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:43 pm

At this point, I doubt the Sens even listen to a 2 year offer. I forgot that he'll be a UFA in 2, so it's either 1 or 3+, but I would imagine they want a 1 year to re-assess.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:38 pm

Michallica wrote:Hmm hate to say it, but sens are low-balling hoffman big time.  I'd say he's easily worth greening money at least, even if he's only shown it for a year, still what a year.  Outscored everyone on the team including bobby ryan.  

You can't use a contract that everyone realizes is a mistake as a comparable. "Greening money" = an inappropriate $ value and term. No one is "worth" Greening money because Greening money is a poor investment.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:24 pm

Any progress with The Hoffer?
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:01 pm

spader wrote:
    Michallica wrote:Hmm hate to say it, but sens are low-balling hoffman big time.  I'd say he's easily worth greening money at least, even if he's only shown it for a year, still what a year.  Outscored everyone on the team including bobby ryan.  

You can't use a contract that everyone realizes is a mistake as a comparable. "Greening money" = an inappropriate $ value and term. No one is "worth" Greening money because Greening money is a poor investment.

Maybe not. Sure it was a mistake, but greening never led his team in scoring or even scored 20 goals for that matter to 'earn' that contract. When I say he deserves greening money, I mean the actual cap hit, not directly comparing situations. But the sens also have to look in the mirror and realize they are offering hoffman much less than what they're paying a healthy scratch....after leading the team in scoring.

A bit of an insult, but based on the bernier stuff, it looks like it's just all strategy.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7429
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Michallica wrote:
    spader wrote:

Maybe not.  Sure it was a mistake, but greening never led his team in scoring or even scored 20 goals for that matter to 'earn' that contract.  When I say he deserves greening money, I mean the actual cap hit, not directly comparing situations.  But the sens also have to look in the mirror and realize they are offering hoffman much less than what they're paying a healthy scratch....after leading the team in scoring.  

A bit of an insult, but based on the bernier stuff, it looks like it's just all strategy.

In player elected arbitration, I believe the player submits his request first and the team responds to that number. I think, anyway. At any rate, you see how it works. The mid point between the player's # and the team's number usually represents the actual max that the team has in mind. 1.75 isn't an insult... It's part of the process to get Hoffman signed for something like $2.5-2.75 mil for the year.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:20 am

No news on The Hoffer.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48303
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:56 am

Regardless of who submits first, I think neither side knows the other side's figure until the arbitrator has both numbers.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16493
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Here's Senschirp's 15/16 opening lineup prediction: http://senschirp.ca/news/your-20152016-ottawa-senators/

Seems about right. Assuming the young kids take a step forward, this should be a playoff team.

The one thing I disagree with Senschirp about is the Methot/Karlsson pairing. He thinks that they should be split to pair Methot with Ceci and Karlsson with Wiercioch, but I don't see how anyone would want to do that given how well they played together after Methot came back last season. Karlsson won the Norris trophy playing with Methot...why mess with that?
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13354
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:48 pm

You know what grinds my gears. I can't even tune into go TSN 1200 anymore without having to suffer through all the other sports(why the focus on Golf so much) at this time of year. God this sucks.

Does anyone know how to access syrus NHL radio online for free? I need something vaguely interesting to listen to in these dog days of summer.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21014
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Flo The Action wrote:You know what grinds my gears. I can't even tune into go TSN 1200 anymore without having to suffer through all the other sports(why the focus on Golf so much) at this time of year. God this sucks.

Does anyone know how to access syrus NHL radio online for free? I need something vaguely interesting to listen to in these dog days of summer.

i'm the opposite. I don't wanna hear about hockey in the summer.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16493
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:40 pm

Yeah, there really isn't much to say this time of year about hockey. The guys on TSN 1200 don't have much real insight most of the time anyway, it's just reactions to headlines.

I'm fine if they want to yack about golf and baseball. The Blow Jays are somewhat interesting these days.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Flo The Action wrote:You know what grinds my gears. I can't even tune into go TSN 1200 anymore without having to suffer through all the other sports(why the focus on Golf so much) at this time of year. God this sucks.

There's other sports? What?!?!
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48303
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:29 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Here's Senschirp's 15/16 opening lineup prediction:   http://senschirp.ca/news/your-20152016-ottawa-senators/

Seems about right.  Assuming the young kids take a step forward, this should be a playoff team.  

The one thing I disagree with Senschirp about is the Methot/Karlsson pairing.  He thinks that they should be split to pair Methot with Ceci and Karlsson with Wiercioch, but I don't see how anyone would want to do that given how well they played together after Methot came back last season.  Karlsson won the Norris trophy playing with Methot...why mess with that?

Because Karlsson/Wiercioch were even better than Karlsson/Methot, and it's fair to say that Methot/Ceci would be better than Wiercioch/Ceci.

Let's face it, both Wiercioch and Ceci play better when paired up with someone with experience.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13354
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:40 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:

There's other sports? What?!?!
    My feelings exactly. I couldn't give to Dung about watching any other team sports. Unless it's a nice surf competition or snowboarding I'm not gonna care what goes on on TSN. Diddle the Jays. I will never support any sports franchise coming out of that putrid city.
    Speaking of surfing 10 days left until I spend 3 weeks in Costa Rica on a board! Longest 10 days of my life....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:04 am