Elections

    Share

    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20747
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Elections

    Post by Ev on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:55 pm

    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:I'm voting for the conservative candidate in riding, Walter Prager

    Walter Pamic.

    No relation.

    I actually met him on Canada Day at the park.  It started raining so my daughters and I ducked under the canopy.  Wasn't until about 10 minutes later I figured out it was the CPC tent.  For a guy with a pretty polished look he was surprisingly genuine.  So he's probably not cut out for politics and that's why it'd a dead heat in Kanata (after the landslides the past few elections).

    No, it's Walter Prager Sarcasm

    He was exposed on Ashley Madison and he's been taking down other parties' signs haha.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: Elections

    Post by NEELY on Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:45 pm

    Ev wrote:
    NEELY wrote:Not only do I disagree but I believe you are extremely misguided and ignorant for you to believe what you just stated about others being immoral.

    As for the TFSA contributions, I also believe 5K is all you need.  I put a lot into a TFSA and the only time I would ever use over 5K in a year is if someone died and left it to me.

    Are you using the TFSA as a savings account or as an investment account?

    Investment in Canopy Growth Corp and bank stock right now.

    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: Elections

    Post by LeCaptain on Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:46 pm

    NEELY wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    NEELY wrote:Not only do I disagree but I believe you are extremely misguided and ignorant for you to believe what you just stated about others being immoral.

    As for the TFSA contributions, I also believe 5K is all you need.  I put a lot into a TFSA and the only time I would ever use over 5K in a year is if someone died and left it to me.

    Are you using the TFSA as a savings account or as an investment account?

    Investment in Canopy Growth Corp and bank stock right now.  

    Then you should vote liberal

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: Elections

    Post by NEELY on Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:57 pm

    I am voting Liberal.  I'll take the TSFA the Conservatives gave me and invest in something I know the Liberals will move forward with like Canada should. The idea that you can drink all you want but smoking a joint for whatever purpose is wrong is completely disgusting IMO.

    I just take serious issue with someone claiming, suggesting, and flat out implying I am immoral for voting a certain way.  Might as well call me a Nazi which is basically the line that people have taken in this election.  

    I agree that it's time to change things up but suggesting that voting for Harper and the Conservatives is wrong... go *uck yourself and find a job.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12869
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Elections

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:20 pm

    NEELY wrote:I am voting Liberal.  I'll take the TSFA the Conservatives gave me and invest in something I know the Liberals will move forward with like Canada should.  The idea that you can drink all you want but smoking a joint for whatever purpose is wrong is completely disgusting IMO.  

    I just take serious issue with someone claiming, suggesting, and flat out implying I am immoral for voting a certain way.  Might as well call me a Nazi which is basically the line that people have taken in this election.  

    I agree that it's time to change things up but suggesting that voting for Harper and the Conservatives is wrong... go *uck yourself and find a job.
    The conservatrices have completely attacked this nation environmental protection by gutting Navigable Waters Protection Act, they ripped the Fisheries Act and repealed the Environmental Assessment Act. They've museled scientists about the effects of their energy plans and fast-tracked mining applications and done nothing to stop mining runoff a into waterways.
    The embarrassment that Harper caused by reneging on the Kyoto agreement and basically turning his back on one of the most pressing issues of our time.
    You want to speak about immoral? I call that immoral. Supporting a government that is stripping our natural resources by making it easy for companies to come and rape the land with minimal protection. Yeah that's bloody immoral. I'm not against opening up resources but this government has done nothing to protect and have a watchful eye on things.

    You want to talk about drumming up insecurities in regards to religion? That government has tried to drum up xenophobic sentiments in order to have people fear a multicultural Canada so they could say they would be the only one to protect them.

    This party IS Dung, not what I have to say about it. God knows what you mean about people having to get a job but obviously you have some weird conception that people who think like me are jobless and baseless. but I bet there's lots of ex-employees at environment Canada that would love to get their job back.
    Anything but a Harper government if you want to have a country to be proud of.

    So yeah, smoke your weed if that's what you think should drive an election and is important you are clearly high.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20747
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Elections

    Post by Ev on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:25 pm

    Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

    I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12869
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Elections

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:37 pm

    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

    I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

    George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.

    avatar
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1848
    Age : 49
    Location : Charleston
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

    Re: Elections

    Post by Oglethorpe on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:57 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

    I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

    George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.

    The irony of your statement is incredulous.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20747
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Elections

    Post by Ev on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:00 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

    I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

    George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.


    Yeah they were manipulated big time by voting Obama in. He was nothing but a popularity vote and Bush was honestly the better president for the country.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12869
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Elections

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:04 pm

    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

    I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

    George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.


    Yeah they were manipulated big time by voting Obama in. He was nothing but a popularity vote and Bush was honestly the better president for the country.

    Yep there's no discussing politics when people lie on different side. As far as I'm concerned Obama was probably the best president since carter. Bush, the better president. You mean because he led the country into a depression or because he started a false war in Iraq. Please.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20747
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Elections

    Post by Ev on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:07 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

    I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

    George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.


    Yeah they were manipulated big time by voting Obama in. He was nothing but a popularity vote and Bush was honestly the better president for the country.

    Yep there's no discussing politics when people lie on different side. As far as I'm concerned Obama was probably the best president since carter. Bush, the better president. You mean because he led the country into a depression or because he started a false war in Iraq. Please.

    Regardless of my opinion of bush, you can't deny Obama was a media driven polouarity vote. He had the youth vote big time, who voted for him knowing nothing about politics, and he had the black vote. Simple as that.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12869
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Elections

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:09 pm

    Oglethorpe wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

    I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

    George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.

    The irony of your statement is incredulous.
    Easily said. My ideas towards politics and their agenda haven't changed since coming into adulthood. of course if you're sitting on the other side of the fence al, you wanna say is how you are the one that's wrong. That's fine. If that's what you want to add to the discussion.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12869
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Elections

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:12 pm

    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

    I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

    George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.


    Yeah they were manipulated big time by voting Obama in. He was nothing but a popularity vote and Bush was honestly the better president for the country.

    Yep there's no discussing politics when people lie on different side. As far as I'm concerned Obama was probably the best president since carter. Bush, the better president. You mean because he led the country into a depression or because he started a false war in Iraq. Please.

    Regardless of my opinion of bush, you can't deny Obama was a media driven polouarity vote. He had the youth vote big time, who voted for him knowing nothing about politics, and he had the black vote. Simple as that.
    I think him having such a strong majority in the first term yes had to do with that. For sure, people vote for reasons that should have very little to do with what is at stake all the time. But I think what he did and tried to do(especially since senate blocked him constantly) was far better for the American population than anything we seen since th carter era.

    Also big part of the reason that he had the youth vote is because more youth tend to believe in democratic values over those of the republicans. Same goes in Canada.
    avatar
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1848
    Age : 49
    Location : Charleston
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

    Re: Elections

    Post by Oglethorpe on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:18 pm

    wprager wrote:
    Oglethorpe wrote:I am having a tough time deciding this year.  I have eliminated all 3 parties several times over.  

    In the past I have usually voted Conservative but almost a decade of power is too long for anyone and the party has lost some of the more centrist influences in John Baird, Jim Flaherty, etc..  Bill C-51 goes a little too far in my mind and needs some alterations and the ridiculous Income splitting for families is bad economic policy intended to garner votes at the cost of good governance.

    The NDP has some interesting ideas but pulling out of the TPP and their Cap and Trade policies would destroy every last manufacturing job in this country and drive the GDP into negative growth.  Mulcair comes off as a smug, power hungry career politician who I fear will pander to Quebec at the cost of the rest of the country.

    The Liberal party has the same terrifying environmental policies as the NDP and is so urban centric that the rural population might as well not exist.  They seem to flip flop between NDP and Conservative policies so much that I worry they will govern by opinion polls.

    I am leaning Liberal, but don't want a majority for any of these clowns so I am in no man's land at the moment.

    Why is income splitting ridiculous?  They've had it for years for seniors.  They've had it for years in the US.  What, exactly, is ridiculous about it?  If you have two people each bringing in $75K with a family of four, and a single earner who is making $150K, supporting that same family of four, why should the "rich" guy pay more income taxes?

    Put it another way, why should those who make more money pay more *proportionally* than those making less?  Do large corporations have a higher corporate tax rate than small companies?  Do their payroll taxes go up (as a percentage of payroll) as the payroll increases?  Do larger houses have a higher mill-rate?  Is the GST on a Cadillac higher than the GST on a Chevy Cobalt?  Well, maybe that last one should actually happen -- I don't mind luxury taxes on truly luxury items.
    Missed this earlier. Income splitting for families will only benefit 15% of households in the country. If you want to help families and do it fairly then either broad based income tax cuts or increasing the taxable UCB is the more effective way.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20747
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Elections

    Post by Ev on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:23 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

    I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

    George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.


    Yeah they were manipulated big time by voting Obama in. He was nothing but a popularity vote and Bush was honestly the better president for the country.

    Yep there's no discussing politics when people lie on different side. As far as I'm concerned Obama was probably the best president since carter. Bush, the better president. You mean because he led the country into a depression or because he started a false war in Iraq. Please.

    Regardless of my opinion of bush, you can't deny Obama was a media driven polouarity vote. He had the youth vote big time, who voted for him knowing nothing about politics, and he had the black vote. Simple as that.
    I think him having such a strong majority in the first term yes had to do with that. For sure, people vote for reasons that should have very little to do with what is at stake all the time. But I think what he did and tried to do(especially since senate blocked him constantly) was far better for the American population than anything we seen since th carter era.

    Also big part of the reason that he had the youth vote is because more  youth tend to believe in democratic values over those of the republicans. Same goes in Canada.

    I was a teen at the time Obama first got voted in. Everybody liked him because he was this cool black guy and McCain was an old veteran. It had nothing to do with parties. Obama became a meme and he marketed his campaign well.

    It's the same thing with Trudeau. Ask teens what his policies are, they won't know. They'll know he's the hip cool young guy with a famous last name. He's so phoney in his ads, it's baloney. And he named his kid Hadrian. Think about that.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12869
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Elections

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:09 pm

    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

    I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

    George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.


    Yeah they were manipulated big time by voting Obama in. He was nothing but a popularity vote and Bush was honestly the better president for the country.

    Yep there's no discussing politics when people lie on different side. As far as I'm concerned Obama was probably the best president since carter. Bush, the better president. You mean because he led the country into a depression or because he started a false war in Iraq. Please.

    Regardless of my opinion of bush, you can't deny Obama was a media driven polouarity vote. He had the youth vote big time, who voted for him knowing nothing about politics, and he had the black vote. Simple as that.
    I think him having such a strong majority in the first term yes had to do with that. For sure, people vote for reasons that should have very little to do with what is at stake all the time. But I think what he did and tried to do(especially since senate blocked him constantly) was far better for the American population than anything we seen since th carter era.

    Also big part of the reason that he had the youth vote is because more  youth tend to believe in democratic values over those of the republicans. Same goes in Canada.

    I was a teen at the time Obama first got voted in. Everybody liked him because he was this cool black guy and McCain was an old veteran. It had nothing to do with parties. Obama became a meme and he marketed his campaign well.

    It's the same thing with Trudeau. Ask teens what his policies are, they won't know. They'll know he's the hip cool young guy with a famous last name. He's so phoney in his ads, it's baloney. And he named his kid Hadrian. Think about that.
    Hadrian? Hahaha. That's pretty bad.
    I'm not voting liberal. To be honest I don't think there's any political party that I believe in all their policies but I can probably feel secure that either the liberals or NDP won't infuriate me on the international level.
    Trudeau might be a little douchy but the liberal party is long established and have enough people to surround him if he is the next pm.

    Obama did market his campaign well but also McCain was a terrible choice and the republican were responsible for the large part of the mess that was falling unro America so was there any other choice?
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 29
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: Elections

    Post by LeCaptain on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:20 pm

    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

    I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

    George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.


    Yeah they were manipulated big time by voting Obama in. He was nothing but a popularity vote and Bush was honestly the better president for the country.

    Yep there's no discussing politics when people lie on different side. As far as I'm concerned Obama was probably the best president since carter. Bush, the better president. You mean because he led the country into a depression or because he started a false war in Iraq. Please.

    Regardless of my opinion of bush, you can't deny Obama was a media driven polouarity vote. He had the youth vote big time, who voted for him knowing nothing about politics, and he had the black vote. Simple as that.

    I totally disagree with that.
    I would be the first to say after 7 and a half years Obama and his administration has been disappointing to say the least. But saying he was only media driven is completely wrong. Yes it helped big time. But have you watched the debates when he ran for the primaries? He killed every single one of the other candidates it was ridiculous. He was the best candidate by a mile.
    What he's done after is another debate that could take days.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12869
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Elections

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:26 pm

    LeCaptain wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

    I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

    George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.


    Yeah they were manipulated big time by voting Obama in. He was nothing but a popularity vote and Bush was honestly the better president for the country.

    Yep there's no discussing politics when people lie on different side. As far as I'm concerned Obama was probably the best president since carter. Bush, the better president. You mean because he led the country into a depression or because he started a false war in Iraq. Please.

    Regardless of my opinion of bush, you can't deny Obama was a media driven polouarity vote. He had the youth vote big time, who voted for him knowing nothing about politics, and he had the black vote. Simple as that.

    I totally disagree with that.
    I would be the first to say after 7 and a half years Obama and his administration has been disappointing to say the least. But saying he was media driven is completely wrong. Have you watched the debates when he ran for the primaries? He killed every single one of the other candidates it was ridiculous.

    Are you really that disappointed? I mean he was blockaded from being to affect real change by a republican senate. And it's not like he was going to be revolutionary either. I think he brought about positive change and any other republican leader would have been worse. In the case of American politics it's the lesser of all evils. I mean, then there's Bernie sanders but even I have reservations on whether a lot of his promises are not a lot of smoke that doesn't really stand to be possible.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Elections

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:48 am