Re: Elections

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.

Yeah they were manipulated big time by voting Obama in. He was nothing but a popularity vote and Bush was honestly the better president for the country.

Yep there's no discussing politics when people lie on different side. As far as I'm concerned Obama was probably the best president since carter. Bush, the better president. You mean because he led the country into a depression or because he started a false war in Iraq. Please.

Regardless of my opinion of bush, you can't deny Obama was a media driven polouarity vote. He had the youth vote big time, who voted for him knowing nothing about politics, and he had the black vote. Simple as that.
    I think him having such a strong majority in the first term yes had to do with that. For sure, people vote for reasons that should have very little to do with what is at stake all the time. But I think what he did and tried to do(especially since senate blocked him constantly) was far better for the American population than anything we seen since th carter era.

Also big part of the reason that he had the youth vote is because more  youth tend to believe in democratic values over those of the republicans. Same goes in Canada.

I was a teen at the time Obama first got voted in. Everybody liked him because he was this cool black guy and McCain was an old veteran. It had nothing to do with parties. Obama became a meme and he marketed his campaign well.

It's the same thing with Trudeau. Ask teens what his policies are, they won't know. They'll know he's the hip cool young guy with a famous last name. He's so phoney in his ads, it's baloney. And he named his kid Hadrian. Think about that.
    Hadrian? Hahaha. That's pretty bad.
    I'm not voting liberal. To be honest I don't think there's any political party that I believe in all their policies but I can probably feel secure that either the liberals or NDP won't infuriate me on the international level.
    Trudeau might be a little douchy but the liberal party is long established and have enough people to surround him if he is the next pm.

Obama did market his campaign well but also McCain was a terrible choice and the republican were responsible for the large part of the mess that was falling unro America so was there any other choice?

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:20 pm

Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Harper has been voted in how many times now? Clearly people respect him and wanted him as pm on multiple occasions.

I have nothing to add as I hate politics and think they bring out the worst in people, especially the people who think they know something about it when they don't.

George W was voted in twice also and people are encouraging Donald trump on. Doesn't mean that the right choice. People are constantly being manipulated by media and political agendas.

Yeah they were manipulated big time by voting Obama in. He was nothing but a popularity vote and Bush was honestly the better president for the country.

Yep there's no discussing politics when people lie on different side. As far as I'm concerned Obama was probably the best president since carter. Bush, the better president. You mean because he led the country into a depression or because he started a false war in Iraq. Please.

Regardless of my opinion of bush, you can't deny Obama was a media driven polouarity vote. He had the youth vote big time, who voted for him knowing nothing about politics, and he had the black vote. Simple as that.

I totally disagree with that.
    I would be the first to say after 7 and a half years Obama and his administration has been disappointing to say the least. But saying he was only media driven is completely wrong. Yes it helped big time. But have you watched the debates when he ran for the primaries? He killed every single one of the other candidates it was ridiculous. He was the best candidate by a mile.
    What he's done after is another debate that could take days.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13344
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:26 pm

LeCaptain wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

I would be the first to say after 7 and a half years Obama and his administration has been disappointing to say the least. But saying he was media driven is completely wrong. Have you watched the debates when he ran for the primaries? He killed every single one of the other candidates it was ridiculous.

Are you really that disappointed? I mean he was blockaded from being to affect real change by a republican senate. And it's not like he was going to be revolutionary either. I think he brought about positive change and any other republican leader would have been worse. In the case of American politics it's the lesser of all evils. I mean, then there's Bernie sanders but even I have reservations on whether a lot of his promises are not a lot of smoke that doesn't really stand to be possible.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by LeCaptain on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:56 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    LeCaptain wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

I would be the first to say after 7 and a half years Obama and his administration has been disappointing to say the least. But saying he was media driven is completely wrong. Have you watched the debates when he ran for the primaries? He killed every single one of the other candidates it was ridiculous.

Are you really that disappointed? I mean he was blockaded  from being to affect real change by a republican senate. And it's not like he was going to be revolutionary either. I think he brought about positive change and any other republican leader would have been worse. In the case of American politics it's the lesser of all evils. I mean, then there's Bernie sanders but even I have reservations on whether a lot of his promises are not a lot of  smoke that doesn't really stand to be possible.

Hard and impossible to know what effect the Republican-heavy Congress has in all of this to be honest.
    All I know is he inherited a financial crisis and the famous Edward Snowden reveals and he did nothing to address it. Obamacare is too complicated for me to even comment on.
    But Wall Street along with the Federal reserve is IMO the biggest problem in the USA and in the World economy right now. When you see what some of those Wall Street CEO make (hundreds of millions of $$) and then get bailed out by taxpayers money (Federal Reserve) after they created the financial crisis, it's absolutely disgusting.

The thing that most people don't know is the Federal Reserve is not a public corporation. It's owned by private investors. That in itself is mind boggling.
    Then you look at the Fed's board and it's all ex-members of Goldman Sachs, Merryl Lynch, JP Morgan etc. Then everything makes sense.
    During the past 8 years, Obama has done absolutely nothing to change that. Not a single CEO in Wall Street went to jail after the 2008 crisis, but in the meantime millions of people lost their houses...
    They are corrupt from top to bottom, including universities, banks etc. They are all in it.

We'll see how Sanders do. He hates Wall Street CEOs. Even Trump does. I wouldn't mind him TBH. At least we know what he's all about, and he hates Wall Street.
    I am 100% certain that if Wall Street is held accountable, the middle class will get stronger.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13344
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:02 am

LeCaptain wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    LeCaptain wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

Are you really that disappointed? I mean he was blockaded  from being to affect real change by a republican senate. And it's not like he was going to be revolutionary either. I think he brought about positive change and any other republican leader would have been worse. In the case of American politics it's the lesser of all evils. I mean, then there's Bernie sanders but even I have reservations on whether a lot of his promises are not a lot of  smoke that doesn't really stand to be possible.

Hard and impossible to know what effect the Republican-heavy Congress has in all of this to be honest.
    All I know is he inherited a financial crisis and the famous Edward Snowden reveals and he did nothing to address it. Obamacare is too complicated for me to even comment on.
    But Wall Street along with the Federal reserve is IMO the biggest problem in the USA and in the World economy right now. When you see what some of those Wall Street CEO make (hundreds of millions of $$) and then get bailed out by taxpayers money (Federal Reserve) after they created the financial crisis, it's absolutely disgusting.

The thing that most people don't know is the Federal Reserve is not a public corporation. It's owned by private investors. That in itself is mind boggling.
    Then you look at the Fed's board and it's all ex-members of Goldman Sachs, Merryl Lynch, JP Morgan etc. Then everything makes sense.
    During the past 8 years, Obama has done absolutely nothing to change that. Not a single CEO in Wall Street went to jail after the 2008 crisis, but in the meantime millions of people lost their houses...
    They are corrupt from top to bottom, including universities, banks etc. They are all in it.

We'll see how Sanders do. He hates Wall Street CEOs. Even Trump does. I wouldn't mind him TBH. At least we know what he's all about, and he hates Wall Street.
    I am 100% certain that if Wall Street is held accountable, the middle class will get stronger.

You can't be saying you want trump. The man is a walking oxymoron. He preaches protectionist rhetoric while everything else is going towards liberal markets. He spews populist rhetoric.
    You seriously don't think he pulled himself out of bankruptcy without major back door deals? I wouldn't trust that guy with the military or economy. He's a walking Buffoon.

I understand what you are saying about the failures of Obama but the difference is republican government would of been worse. yes Wall Street is out of hand but at the time where companies where asking for bailouts what was government to do? If they didn't bail those companies out you Are talking about a major sector of the economy collapsing. Thousands and thousands of American jobs lost and an entire sector of the economy crumble. That's far worse than any bailout. If anything they saved that sector and the bailout was repaid faster than anticipated with interest. So yes that was a win for the economy. Doesn't mean the way companies operate is perfect but that was the right move to make.
    As for Obama care the reason it's not what it was intended to be is because senate blockaded every attempt that Obama tried to pass because they hold senate majority. Of course Obama couldn't do everything he's constantly being blocked. By the time America votes for their next senators hopefully they can get a democratic majority.

Another thing that Obama planned that was pretty good is the legalization of illegal immigrants. That's millions of illegal workers already living in America but having to play fugitives. That's millions of people becoming tax paying Americans and contributing to the national revenu. That's a move that is far beyond the scope of any republican plans.

Sure there's a lot of work to be done and Yes Wall Street is pretty flawed but Obama and the Democratic Party played a much better part in that country moving forward. I'm really hoping that democrats get reflected so that they can move forward.

Again it's the lesser of two evils.

As for sanders I doubt he can overtake Clinton. It's too bad but maybe it's for the best as I think he would lose some votes in favour of the republicans. Clinton will be the next president.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48298
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:03 pm

How can you say "the difference is republican government would of been worse" (and I don't mean the grammar)?  There is no way to compare what someone *did* with what someone else *could have done*.  

Say what you want about Trump (none of it was wrong) but Trump funded his own campaign, so he doesn't owe anything to any of the lobby groups.  Which means he literally could do whatever he wanted.  This is both scary and hell of exciting.  I don't think he's stupid enough to bring about WWIII (if he is, that's what the CIA is for) so, who knows, maybe we US needs 4 years of unchecked/uncontrolled/uncontrollable/untethered buffonery.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16491
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Did you just...endorse...Trump?

Time to shut this topic down.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:20 am

He's right about Trump not being in the pocket of lobby groups or special interest groups though, I can't see how you disagree with that point. That part is refreshing. With that said I disagree with most of what that man stands for and wouldn't vote for him if I had a gun to my head. Trump says what he thinks, won't let anyone tell him what to do, and he has no obligation to because it's his own money... there is nothing wrong with that and I agree with Prags, it's nice not to have a puppet talking for once.

Warren Buffet... he's probably a man you could get behind and comes from the same group of people as Trump.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by LeCaptain on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:56 am

Back to Canada, looks like the Liberals are ahead in the latest poll.

Canopy here I come
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:07 am

tim1_2 wrote:Did you just...endorse...Trump?  

Time to shut this topic down.

Nah. I have a Ben Carson sticker on the back of my car!

For real. Brother in law (in the US) is a big Carson supporter and while we were in Europe (with the car parked in their driveway) he put a sticker on it. Makes it easier to spot the card, now.

But as for Trump, it really would not surprise me if he won and, frankly, I could think of worse things (long-term) that could happen. If he wins it'll just be 4 years (or less) and who knows, maybe this kind of shake up (both in the political/lobby circles and among the voters themselves) will have some benefits longer term. It won't kill the country but it will knock them down a peg and maybe that's not a bad thing to happen.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:52 am

LeCaptain wrote:Back to Canada, looks like the Liberals are ahead in the latest poll.

Canopy here I come

If the Liberal win then the stock will go beyond my price point in terms of what I think it's worth right now without paying any dividends or see any kind of substantial profits... I bought when it was anywhere between 1.50 and 1.90 a share.

It should do well once legalized.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21010
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:34 pm

Gotta love people who are so shortsighted and ignorant. this guy on Reddit, who everyone is agreeing with, is encouraging young people to vote because voting is a privilege etc.etc., but he also says it is important to not vote for the for th conservatives. What an bunghole.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Ev wrote:Gotta love people who are so shortsighted and ignorant. this guy on Reddit, who everyone is agreeing with, is encouraging young people to vote because voting is a privilege etc.etc., but he also says it is important to not vote for the for th conservatives. What an bunghole.

It's important (for him) that those who usually don't vote go out and support his favorite party.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Ev wrote:Gotta love people who are so shortsighted and ignorant. this guy on Reddit, who everyone is agreeing with, is encouraging young people to vote because voting is a privilege etc.etc., but he also says it is important to not vote for the for th conservatives. What an bunghole.

Complete trash. Vote but vote this way is a complete crock of crap and no one should ever vote based on what someone else says, I don't care what point of view you take.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21010
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:12 pm

Now he's saying he didn't mean that. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, judge for yourself:

-----

Okay, so, it's pretty easy.

Firstly, go [here](http://www.elections.ca/home.aspx) and if you look on the right side of the page, it'll say to put in your postal code. Do that, it will show you where you can vote on Monday.

Next up, you need to know what to bring - [here's a list](http://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=id&document=index&lang=e). Basically, the easiest thing to do is to have something with your photo (health card, passport, driver licence) and something with your address - now, I imagine you're not paying utilities or anything so maybe pop by your bank and ask for a statement (let them know you're looking to vote) - there's a pretty big list of stuff that's accepted, so [take a look](http://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=id&document=index&lang=e) and I imagine you'll find something.

And please, please for the love of all that is good in this country, encourage your friends to vote. I don't know if you have to do it via Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter or whatever you kids use the most nowadays, but as someone who desperately wants to see a change in this country, please get them to vote. I know it probably sounds lame to them, but you know what's even more lame, another few years under the Conservative Party of Canada - I'm so done with their Dung.

SO PLEASE, ASSCONE, GET YOUR BUDS TO VOTE! If they don't know how to vote, now they know and you can copy and past the info here for them.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by LeCaptain on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:38 pm

I don't know, if you rely on someone else to decide who to vote for then the blame is on you not him.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:55 pm

I don't like people telling other people how to vote, plain and simple. There is enough information out there where people can form their own opinion and decide for themselves.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:51 pm

Harper wrote a book about hockey. Did Trudeau ever even watch a game? And as for Mulcair, clearly that beard has never seen a chinstrap.

You all like hockey, you should all vote Harper.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:19 am