Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by spader on Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:11 pm

wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:They'll sell it as a continuation of the rebuild. I thought they'd be fighting for the wild card but at this rate they'll sink to the bottom of the East

It would have been nice to build on last season's success. I think that's a reasonable expectation. Oh well.
    At this point I'm getting more and more upset at management inability to improve this club. All this effort about trying to rid ourselves of greening's contract. We'll never compete with this sort of ownership that can't cover the mistakes management makes. If BM's hands are tied because of Melnyk refusing to make moves without shedding a contract we may really need a change in ownership.

How is Greening in Bingo hurting this team, though?

He chews up budget dollars.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47936
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:29 am

spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:They'll sell it as a continuation of the rebuild. I thought they'd be fighting for the wild card but at this rate they'll sink to the bottom of the East

It would have been nice to build on last season's success. I think that's a reasonable expectation. Oh well.
    At this point I'm getting more and more upset at management inability to improve this club. All this effort about trying to rid ourselves of greening's contract. We'll never compete with this sort of ownership that can't cover the mistakes management makes. If BM's hands are tied because of Melnyk refusing to make moves without shedding a contract we may really need a change in ownership.

How is Greening in Bingo hurting this team, though?

He chews up budget dollars.

I guess Murray told Melnyk he could probably find a trade partner, then the phones went dead. Can't buy him out now until the next window, whenever that is. I simply don't understand why they aren't playing him in Ottawa, it's not like Chiasson and Neil couldn't benefit from a tour of the pressbox once in a while.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1948
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:51 am

Ottawa's success happened with Cowen, Phillips, Neil, and Smith out of the lineup last season. They had consistent scoring from all four lines.

I don't dislike Smith. He's a fourth liner. But he's being anchored down by Neil and you can't expect Prince to produce on that line with those two. They will never bench Neil though.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1855
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:24 am

spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:Ha yost.  Still...that would be great.  

It would be less than great considering Smid is the rumoured return.

I've got nothing against Smid, but if we trade for a D-man shouldn't it be a rightie?

I think their greatest need is on the left side of the second pairing. So, no.
    I think their greatest need is on the left side of the top pairing. Methot is suited to the second pairing and Claesson/Boro could alternate on the 3rd. Boro plays when Neil sits and Claesson plays when Neil plays.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:38 pm

That would be a huge upgrade, if they could move Methot down the pairings on a permanent and get a good #2 guy on the left.

I wonder if Wideman could hold down duties as the #4 guy on the right, freeing up Ceci to get moved in a deal.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24764
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:08 pm

spader wrote:That would be a huge upgrade, if they could move Methot down the pairings on a permanent and get a good #2 guy on the left.

I wonder if Wideman could hold down duties as the #4 guy on the right, freeing up Ceci to get moved in a deal.

Wideman would be an upgrade on Ceci. However...

I think the management group will a) stubbornly refuse to move Ceci b) give in to his demands to be paid as Top 4 D-Man, since that's where they foolishly decided to have him play and c) end up with an overpaid problem like Cowen all over again.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54403
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:48 am

Oglethorpe wrote:
    spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

I've got nothing against Smid, but if we trade for a D-man shouldn't it be a rightie?

I think their greatest need is on the left side of the top pairing.  Methot is suited to the second pairing and Claesson/Boro could alternate on the 3rd.  Boro plays when Neil sits and Claesson plays when Neil plays.  

It's pretty obvious, I guess they just can't get a deal done. They need a top pairing or 2nd pairing D-man on the left side and the time has come to call it a year with Mac soon, so we need a veteran LW.

Clearly this is tough to do though.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:11 pm

Let's take a moment to let this sink in....sens swept season series with the sharks and kings. That's nuts.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:12 pm

Michallica wrote:Let's take a moment to let this sink in....sens swept season series with the sharks and kings.  That's nuts.  

7 of 8 going to last year.

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:19 pm

wprager wrote:
    Michallica wrote:Let's take a moment to let this sink in....sens swept season series with the sharks and kings.  That's nuts.  

7 of 8 going to last year.

Could have swept California for second year in a row had they not had that meltdown against Anaheim (which I was sadly in attendance for)
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:59 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    Oglethorpe wrote:
    spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

I think their greatest need is on the left side of the top pairing.  Methot is suited to the second pairing and Claesson/Boro could alternate on the 3rd.  Boro plays when Neil sits and Claesson plays when Neil plays.  

It's pretty obvious, I guess they just can't get a deal done.  They need a top pairing or 2nd pairing D-man on the left side and the time has come to call it a year with Mac soon, so we need a veteran LW.

Clearly this is tough to do though.

If you do that (get a top-four left-hand-side D-man) then you need to somehow move *at least* one of Cowen/Wiercioch/Borowiecki/Claesson.

Who knows what Calgary wants in a trade for Cowen -- perhaps another bad contract coming back or the Sens retaining some of his salary. His buyout this summer would likely be a better option, financially, and I doubt that whatever player is coming back would be any better than any number we already have here. So unless the tune changes (e.g. Flames have an injury to one of their LHD) I see the Sens simply buying out Cowen in the off season, in which case you would use Wiercioch plus a roster forward to get a small upgrade for Wier -- a veteran who has 3 years left until Chabot can start taking regular shifts.

So Wier + Prince = ???

Alternatively, is there anyone left on the scrapheap of UFAs that could work for the remainder of the season and perhaps next year? For example, I see that A-Train is not playing anywhere. Does he have a few games left in him? If we could get someone like that then we could use Wier + forward to get an upgrade on the wing, perhaps.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16317
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:20 pm

A-Train is used-up. I'm unsure why we're signing a reject FA at this point in the season? We have a stable of rejects already available on our roster and in Bingo.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:23 pm

tim1_2 wrote:A-Train is used-up.  I'm unsure why we're signing a reject FA at this point in the season?  We have a stable of rejects already available on our roster and in Bingo.

Fill-gap, that's all.

I wonder if Phillips is feeling a little better after his surgery(ies)?

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16317
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:31 pm

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:A-Train is used-up.  I'm unsure why we're signing a reject FA at this point in the season?  We have a stable of rejects already available on our roster and in Bingo.

Fill-gap, that's all.

Why sign ANOTHER player when we have a bunch already?
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24764
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:43 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Fill-gap, that's all.

Exactly. This will all get sorted out between now and Feb. 29
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:17 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Fill-gap, that's all.

We don't. We need a veteran leftie to play with Ceci, do a better job than Wiercioch has been doing, and fill the gap until Chabot is ready to take over. Who do we have ALREADY that can fit the bill?

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:38 pm

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Fill-gap, that's all.

We don't.  We need a veteran leftie to play with Ceci, do a better job than Wiercioch has been doing, and fill the gap until Chabot is ready to take over.  Who do we have ALREADY that can fit the bill?

I don't think A-Train fits the need you've identified.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:06 pm

You didn't answer the question.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:10 pm