Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47936
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:17 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:A-Train is used-up.  I'm unsure why we're signing a reject FA at this point in the season?  We have a stable of rejects already available on our roster and in Bingo.

Fill-gap, that's all.

I wonder if Phillips is feeling a little better after his surgery(ies)?

Why sign ANOTHER player when we have a bunch already?

We don't. We need a veteran leftie to play with Ceci, do a better job than Wiercioch has been doing, and fill the gap until Chabot is ready to take over. Who do we have ALREADY that can fit the bill?

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:38 pm

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:A-Train is used-up.  I'm unsure why we're signing a reject FA at this point in the season?  We have a stable of rejects already available on our roster and in Bingo.

Fill-gap, that's all.

We don't.  We need a veteran leftie to play with Ceci, do a better job than Wiercioch has been doing, and fill the gap until Chabot is ready to take over.  Who do we have ALREADY that can fit the bill?

I don't think A-Train fits the need you've identified.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:06 pm

You didn't answer the question.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13112
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:02 pm

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Fill-gap, that's all.

We don't.  We need a veteran leftie to play with Ceci, do a better job than Wiercioch has been doing, and fill the gap until Chabot is ready to take over.  Who do we have ALREADY that can fit the bill?
    To be honest I don't understand why if we've managed to play claesson with karlsson why on earth is methot not paired with Ceci leaving a less intense work load for wier and wideman. I'm not loving claesson as a partner for Karl's but if that can work maybe that's the ideal.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54403
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:30 pm

No, you need someone who plays at this level and is a clear upgrade over wiercioch. No idea whogl that is.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24764
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:17 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Fill-gap, that's all.

To be honest I don't understand why if we've managed to play claesson with karlsson why on earth is methot not paired with Ceci leaving a less intense work load for wier and wideman. I'm not loving claesson as a partner for Karl's but if that can work maybe that's the ideal.

Why on earth do people keep suggesting that Methot be paired with Ceci when he has been paired with Ceci? They did it and like every other partner Ceci has it doesn't work. Why? Maybe because Ceci is the problem.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20853
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:34 am

Ceci has Been excellent since returning from injury. He's a major key right now
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13112
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:29 am

Yeah I think Ceci has played better also. If anything when I watch him play I see how his style of play needs to be paired with a defensive Dman. He jumps up into the play and yes it can lead to bad recovery into his own zone but so does karlsson. But karlsson benefits from much better speed. I still believe Ceci can put it together. In the mean time a defensive partner would b better than another offencive styled Dman like wier.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:41 am

Flo The Action wrote:Yeah I think Ceci has played better also. If anything when I watch him play I see how his style of play needs to be paired with a defensive Dman. He jumps up into the play and yes it can lead to bad recovery into his own zone but so does karlsson. But karlsson benefits from much better speed. I still believe Ceci can put it together. In the mean time a defensive partner would b better than another offencive styled Dman like wier.

They should try Methot. Right?
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:26 am

In the history of this franchise - perhaps excluding the expansion years, has this team ever needed a veteran left hander more than it does now? Even a player with moderate success in the NHL for more than 5 years would be a blessing.

How...repeat: how are we still close to a playoff spot?? Forget Karlsson for the Hart, if we make the playoffs how about Anderson for Hart?
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:36 am

Anderson has been overrated this year. For me he hasn't stolen a lot of games. Shots against doesn't mean he's amazing if he stops all but 2 or 3. If we had Hammond in every game we'd have the same record or maybe better IMO.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:37 am

SpezDispensed wrote:In the history of this franchise - perhaps excluding the expansion years, has this team ever needed a veteran left hander more than it does now?  Even a player with moderate success in the NHL for more than 5 years would be a blessing.

How...repeat: how are we still close to a playoff spot??  Forget Karlsson for the Hart, if we make the playoffs how about Anderson for Hart?

Karlsson will probably win the Hart at this rate.

You can add a veteran D on either side at this point. A righty to push Ceci down or a lefty to help him on the 2nd pairing. Either way.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:40 am

SpezDispensed wrote:In the history of this franchise - perhaps excluding the expansion years, has this team ever needed a veteran left hander more than it does now?  Even a player with moderate success in the NHL for more than 5 years would be a blessing.

How...repeat: how are we still close to a playoff spot??  Forget Karlsson for the Hart, if we make the playoffs how about Anderson for Hart?

Meh, I still say Karlsson. Even though he's been racking up minuses lately that can be largely attributed to playing with the likes of Claesson and Borowiecki. While I think those two are great value for the money they simply aren't meant to play top-pairing minutes or top-pairing opposition.

And, yes, I completely agree that an upgrade on Wiercioch is of utmost importance (and if you recall, I've been a big Wiercioch supporter since his first development camp). If we can take Cowen and Wiercioch and replace them with a marginal top-4 LHS D-man with experience we'd be a much better team. But I'm being pragmatic and seeing as management does not appear to be willing to do this, I'm looking for the next-best options.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:47 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:

You can add a veteran D on either side at this point. A righty to push Ceci down or a lefty to help him on the 2nd pairing. Either way.

I'd take either, but a lefty would give Ceci a partner to grow with, as opposed to sticking him with Wier and hoping one of them doesn't crap their pants on a shift by shift basis.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:51 am

Ev wrote:Anderson has been overrated this year. For me he hasn't stolen a lot of games. Shots against doesn't mean he's amazing if he stops all but 2 or 3. If we had Hammond in every game we'd have the same record or maybe better IMO.

Perhaps, but Anderson has been amazing 90% of the time. I agree, a lot of shots don't tell the story, but you've watched, he's made incredible saves nightly to keep the Sens in the game and give them a chance. You couldn't ask for anything more with the D we have.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:53 am

SpezDispensed wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

I'd take either, but a lefty would give Ceci a partner to grow with, as opposed to sticking him with Wier and hoping one of them doesn't crap their pants on a shift by shift basis.

Yeah. Anyway, maybe you could say the same for Wiercioch having a partner to grow with.

All I can say is I hope this veteran D comes in and Ceci gets a lot better and proves me wrong. We all know that the next time I'm wrong will be the first time, though. People keep ignoring that he's been paired with Methot and it didn't work so I really don't know what to say anymore.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:00 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

Yeah. Anyway, maybe you could say the same for Wiercioch having a partner to grow with.

All I can say is I hope this veteran D comes in and Ceci gets a lot better and proves me wrong. We all know that the next time I'm wrong will be the first time, though. People keep ignoring that he's been paired with Methot and it didn't work so I really don't know what to say anymore.

I don't think there's really any comparables between Wiercioch and Ceci. Ceci has the frame to not get knocked off the puck, he's MUCH faster, he's basically as good an outlet passer already, he's got as good a shot. I liked Wier last year, but this year he's regressed again, I don't see a long future for him, but Ceci, I see a bright future personally.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:12 am

SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:Anderson has been overrated this year. For me he hasn't stolen a lot of games. Shots against doesn't mean he's amazing if he stops all but 2 or 3. If we had Hammond in every game we'd have the same record or maybe better IMO.

Perhaps, but Anderson has been amazing 90% of the time.  I agree, a lot of shots don't tell the story, but you've watched, he's made incredible saves nightly to keep the Sens in the game and give them a chance.  You couldn't ask for anything more with the D we have.

You could ask for more than a 916 save percentage in today's NHL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 pm