GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Share

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48298
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by wprager on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:38 am

    tim1_2 wrote:It's unfortunate that our bottom 4 D are terrible right now, while our #1 D is prone to the odd defensive lapse...so really, there is no "shutdown" pairing or anything even close to that.  It's just the wild west out there and you hope we can outscore the competition.

    He missed a hip-check. Still forced him to the outside where his only play was to go around the net, and Methot had him on the other side. If Anderson is in Beast Mode then the first two goals don't go in. Hell, on the first one, *any* NHL goalie should have stopped that.

    But the real stink on this team is how they let the momentum just go. After Ryan scored late to tie it up, you figure that's it, against all those odds (Chiasson getting the slash call in the last 5 minutes when numerous ones didn't get called earlier) they came back and tied it, the pendulum has swung all the way over to the other side. And then they lay an egg in OT. Awful.

    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16491
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by tim1_2 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:49 am

    Yeah, that first goal was awful and put us in a tough spot. That's pretty much exclusively on Matrix (who later kept us within reach in the 3rd)...although Karlsson's play there was beyond soft. Despite the points we're somehow managing to pick up, there's no doubt that our defensive needs improvement, and soon, if we're going to make the playoffs.

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by PTFlea on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:50 am

    Always good to pick up points when we're clearly not playing our best
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16491
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by tim1_2 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:53 am

    SpezDispensed wrote:Always good to pick up points when we're clearly not playing our best

    Yep. If we get a little bit of improvement on D, then with our offense and goaltending, we're going to win more than lose and end up making the playoffs. Bryan Murray is in a tough spot right now...it's got to be very difficult to make a trade for a quality defenceman without giving up too much at this point in the season.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by PTFlea on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:16 am

    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:Always good to pick up points when we're clearly not playing our best

    Yep.  If we get a little bit of improvement on D, then with our offense and goaltending, we're going to win more than lose and end up making the playoffs. Bryan Murray is in a tough spot right now...it's got to be very difficult to make a trade for a quality defenceman without giving up too much at this point in the season.

    Sounds like it'll be difficult no matter what with garrioch saying a lot of teams are looking for d
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16491
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by tim1_2 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:20 am

    I think what we end up doing is a smaller deal to get Hainsey or Daley.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by PTFlea on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:31 am

    Either would be an upgrade on what we have now. Depends on the price I guess.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13344
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by Flo The Action on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:00 am

    tim1_2 wrote:I think what we end up doing is a smaller deal to get Hainsey or Daley.  
    Hainsey over Daley
    avatar
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 8461
    Age : 32
    Location : Orange County, CA
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by Hoff-Machine on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:56 am

    Let's call a spade a spade. That first goal was absolutely terrible for anderson to give up and put the sens behind. he played decent after that but in the end the biggest save was made by borowiecki and not anderson.

    As for the rest of the team, it was in shambles for the first two periods. I applaud cameron for the coaching moves in the 3rd period to jumpstart the comeback. There's still lots wrong with the group. No one at any position is really playing up to their capabilities. Goaltending has some work, forwards got some work, and defensive pairs got some major work.

    I hate tatar sauce.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10071
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by spader on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:37 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:I think what we end up doing is a smaller deal to get Hainsey or Daley.  
    Hainsey over Daley

    I'd take Daley over Hainsey. Especially since they can probably buy very low.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48298
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by wprager on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:49 pm

    Michallica wrote:Let's call a spade a spade. That first goal was absolutely terrible for anderson to give up and put the sens behind. he played decent after that but in the end the biggest save was made by borowiecki and not anderson.

    As for the rest of the team, it was in shambles for the first two periods.  I applaud cameron for the coaching moves in the 3rd period to jumpstart the comeback.  There's still lots wrong with the group.  No one at any position is really playing up to their capabilities.  Goaltending has some work, forwards got some work, and defensive pairs got some major work.

    I hate tatar sauce.  

    Also let's not forget the officiating. When I was listening on the radio and following on twitter they said something along the lines of, since Weircioch touched that puck first it negated the high sticking. But that makes no sense. From the replays Weircioch touched the puck with his stick (idiot, would have been much easier to bat it away with his glove) so that's an immediate high stick, which meansif he or another Sens player gets control the whistle goes. But the Detroit player's stick touched it right after that. Weircioch is 6'3" and it was above his shoulders, so don't try to tell me it may have been under the crossbar. If the puck goes in right after that, that's a high stick and no goal. If it lands on the ice and a Detroit player bangs it in, that play id immediately dead on the high stick. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether a Sens player could have played it, since it went from Weir's high stick onto the Detroit player's high stick.

    The slashing on Chiasson is called -- I'm fine with that because he broke the guy's stick (if they want to change the rule so that it's not an automatic penalty but at the very least a stoppage in play I'd be fine with that, too, because some times those sticks break from a tap; but it's still a stick broken from *unnecessary* contact). What I'm not fine with is that Borowiecki was slashed hard enough that he immediately dropped the stick and went to the bench; no call!

    And how about lifting an opponent's stick *before* he has a chance to take the puck -- is that not interference? I saw that on (I believe) the powerplay when one of the Sens players was about to be first on the puck and clear it, but the Detroit player lifted his stick from behind. If he had been carrying the puck and he lifted it to get the puck back -- I get it, that's a clean takeaway. But if the guy has not yet gotten the puck and he lifts his stick (or, frankly, touches him in any way that's not incidental contact) is that not interference?


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16491
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by tim1_2 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:30 pm

    wprager wrote:
    Also let's not forget the officiating.  When I was listening on the radio and following on twitter they said something along the lines of, since Weircioch touched that puck first it negated the high sticking. But that makes no sense.  From the replays Weircioch touched the puck with his stick (idiot, would have been much easier to bat it away with his glove) so that's an immediate high stick, which meansif he or another Sens player gets control the whistle goes.  But the Detroit player's stick touched it right after that.  Weircioch is 6'3" and it was above his shoulders, so don't try to tell me it may have been under the crossbar.  If the puck goes in right after that, that's a high stick and no goal.  If it lands on the ice and a Detroit player bangs it in, that play id immediately dead on the high stick.  The only thing I'm not sure of is whether a Sens player could have played it, since it went from Weir's high stick onto the Detroit player's high stick.

    You're yelling at the clouds again, but the non-call on the high-stick seemed to be the right call, even if it was incredibly close. Since a Detroit player hit the puck, but it didn't go directly in the net, the point of reference for a high stick becomes the players shoulders, not the crossbar. It was very close.

    Again, we pretty much got the result we deserved.

    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48298
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by wprager on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:20 pm

    Way I heard it it was not reviewable, and that in itself is wrong when so many other cases are. It led directly to a goal, I think it can and should be reviewed. In any case, Weircioch should have swatted at it with his glove.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2728
    Age : 50
    Location : Colorado springs, colorado
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by TheAvatar on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:33 pm

    wprager wrote:Way I heard it it was not reviewable, and that in itself is wrong when so many other cases are.  It led directly to a goal, I think it can and should be reviewed.  In any case, Weircioch should have swatted at it with his glove.

    If Wiercioch did everything he was supposed to do, we'd be fairing better ... Smile
    avatar
    Urkie
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 638
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by Urkie on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:00 pm

    It's been a long long time since I posted here or anywhere for that matter but it's always nice to give your 2 cents and talk hockey with some knowledgeable fans.

    Anyway, I just wanted to share my opinion on what I've seen now that we've had a pretty good sample size. I think we can all agree that this team is way different then last years team that went on that run. Most people are pointing at the defense, which I agree has been terrible but the one thing people aren't talking about that I believe is having a greater impact is the third line or lack there of. Last season Lazar-Pageau-Condra was probably our most consistent line. They rarely had a shift where there weren't forechecking the crap out of the other team. It's way easier to defend when you have the other team hemmed in. That line inspired the rest of the team to do the same. It was almost like a snowball effect.

    This season it has been the exact opposite. The third line has been horrid quite honestly. I don't think they've contributed more then a goal or 2 at 5 on 5 play. Chiasson is an awful player. He needs to go and Pageau needs to get back to working hard every shift.

    But to prove this point you have evidence backing it up like shots against per game and our lack of shots per game. You might say well hey that's the defense and it is to a degree but our forwards are making things even more difficult on a defense that's already not up to snuff. How many times have you seen this team dump the puck in and not get any forecheck out of it what so ever? I've seen this way too many times and it's going to start to create huge issues. Right now they're holding it all together but it won't last unless this team can have at least 3 forward lines that can sustain a forecheck.
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 30
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by LeCaptain on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:53 pm

    Pageau needs to be better for sure and I think that will help his other 2 linemates. Chris Neil is beyond useless at this point and he drags the line with him.
    That doesn't change the fact that on a simple 2 on 2 Ceci and Wiercioch get beat like crazy and when even Karlsson do the same thing it's a recipe for disaster.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 46
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:17 pm

    Trade everyone?
    avatar
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 8461
    Age : 32
    Location : Orange County, CA
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by Hoff-Machine on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:20 pm

    Welcome back Urkie. Secondary scoring has definitely been an issue and I don't think the sens have shown enough jam. The 4th line however does generate some energy from time to time. To me both pageau and zibanejad's lines have left more to be desired.

    We may be in 2nd place right now, but the atlantic division is extremely tight. With a couple losses, we could plummet down to 7th, which wouldn't shock any of us considering how the sens have been playing. Definitely not the same team as last season. Even Mark Stone isn't the same.

    Sponsored content

    Re: GAME DAY #18: Red Wings @ Sens - 7:30pm - Monday Nov. 16 2015

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:33 pm