PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54426
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

OT: Anyone like Prog Rock?

Post by PTFlea on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:56 pm

I'm not sure many on here will be into prog rock, but you never know. I find that when I get a couple of moments to myself, I like to immerse myself in a glass of wine or a beer or perhaps a smoke of sort and enjoy some music - and that music is pretty much entirely prog rock right now.

Growing up, I enjoyed the Genesis that became worldwide phenoms, but I had no idea what lay behind door number 2; that is, a Genesis where Peter Gabriel sang, Phil Collins drummed (superbly) and guys I didn't really know at the time, like Steve Hackett for example, were playing some of the best music of the generation.

There are a lot of groups lumped into the 'symphonic' sounds of prog rock, some that don't belong, some that haven't been discovered by the masses - and likely never will. You have the giants, like Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Strawbs etc., then you have lesser known bands like Gentle Giant.

Anyone else into this style of music?

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16330
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: OT: Anyone like Prog Rock?

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:44 am

No.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:06 am

SpezDispensed wrote:I'm not sure many on here will be into prog rock, but you never know. I find that when I get a couple of moments to myself, I like to immerse myself in a glass of wine or a beer or perhaps a smoke of sort and enjoy some music - and that music is pretty much entirely prog rock right now.

Growing up, I enjoyed the Genesis that became worldwide phenoms, but I had no idea what lay behind door number 2; that is, a Genesis where Peter Gabriel sang, Phil Collins drummed (superbly) and guys I didn't really know at the time, like Steve Hackett for example, were playing some of the best music of the generation.

There are a lot of groups lumped into the 'symphonic' sounds of prog rock, some that don't belong, some that haven't been discovered by the masses - and likely never will. You have the giants, like Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Strawbs etc., then you have lesser known bands like Gentle Giant.

Didn't you write a short story about a Genesis song?
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13123
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:17 am

Cant say i really ever got into prog. There were some bands that had touches of prog in them but not actual prog. If you like prog but can get in psych rock you should probably go hang out at Birdman sound record store on bank near the queensway. They like their psych rock there plus you might discover a whole heap of more underground and lesser known bands from those genres.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:42 am

spader wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:I'm not sure many on here will be into prog rock, but you never know. I find that when I get a couple of moments to myself, I like to immerse myself in a glass of wine or a beer or perhaps a smoke of sort and enjoy some music - and that music is pretty much entirely prog rock right now.

Didn't you write a short story about a Genesis song?

I did:

http://lambliesdownonbroadway.blogspot.ca/
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by TheAvatar on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:38 am

I have been a huge Genesis fan, since times immemorial
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47955

Post by wprager on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:38 am

I take it prog=progressive? I don't think I've ever heard "prog rock". At my house we call it "classic rock" or just "the only music worth listening to". You should give a listen to some Supertramp. They were always the 1B to Pink Floyd's 1A in my book.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:50 pm

wprager wrote:I take it prog=progressive? I don't think I've ever heard "prog rock". At my house we call it "classic rock" or just "the only music worth listening to". You should give a listen to some Supertramp. They were always the 1B to Pink Floyd's 1A in my book.

Supertramp's up there as one of my favourites as well.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:36 pm

CHEZ 106 ruined Pink Floyd for me. Playing over and over and over again... And the same few songs from PF, at that. Never having the guts to mix it up. I switch the dial when PF comes on now.

Anywho. Prog is OK. I like Supertramp I've always liked and I would pay to see Roger Hodgson.

But it's hard rock and metal that I dig the most.

ALL HAIL DAVE MUSTAINE!!!!
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:45 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:CHEZ 106 ruined Pink Floyd for me. Playing over and over and over again... And the same few songs from PF, at that. Never having the guts to mix it up. I switch the dial when PF comes on now.

Anywho. Prog is OK. I like Supertramp I've always liked and I would pay to see Roger Hodgson.

How about some FFDP?

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:33 pm

spader wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:CHEZ 106 ruined Pink Floyd for me. Playing over and over and over again... And the same few songs from PF, at that. Never having the guts to mix it up. I switch the dial when PF comes on now.

How about some FFDP?

The presence of a Gibson Explorer adds credibility and pizzazz to this metallic onslaught.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:26 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    spader wrote:

How about some FFDP?

The presence of a Gibson Explorer adds credibility and pizzazz to this metallic onslaught.
    You know, ive been playing a les paul for over 10 years and i have to say those are some flaud guitars. I like gibson because they do produce a beautiful tone but i put some super 58 pick ups in it and its that much better sounding. Plus theres always the neck problem with guibsom which the company has never tried to fix. You drop your guitar a little bit and the neck will snap. They could of changed the angle in which they shape the top part pf the neck to fix it but they dont. I snapped mone twice actually. Its criminal how much it hurts to see happen.
    Recently ive been looking at some classic Iceman from ibanez.their neck are much thiner which provides greater maneuvrability for playing lead. Plus you can attain some great tones. Just ask paul stanley.

I mean, a less paul Junior will always be a sexy guitar i cant affoard but when it comes down to it... Theres much better out there than gibson
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:28 pm

Roger's coming to the NAC in December, I believe.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Less Paul. More John. Right?

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:32 pm

The plan so far is im going to sweden this summer for 4 days. Sweden rock fest. Only 22 bands announced so far but if you look at past years its the mother of all summer metal and rock festival!
    http://www.swedenrock.com/en/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:16 am