GAME DAY #30: Senators @ Canadiens - 7:00pm - Saturday Dec. 12 2015

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21017
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Re: GAME DAY #30: Senators @ Canadiens - 7:00pm - Saturday Dec. 12 2015

Post by Ev on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:24 am

SpezDispensed wrote:Also, yesterday's game was much more flattering to us than it should have been.  Without Anderson it would have been 8-1.  What a piece of Dung effort that was...can't believe it.  Be ready on Monday bunghole

did he really have to make incredible saves? I don't buy that shot total they gave the Habs and I don't buy that Anderson stole the game just because he faced a lot of non-dangerous shots.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21017
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:24 am

tim1_2 wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:Probably an unpopular opinion but I was not happy with Anderson last night. Reminds me of when he was in Colorado in his final days. I would start Hammond tomorrow and give him a long stretch. The team is muhc better in front of Hammond.

Tim's gonna shout at you.

I didn't watch the game, so I don't know if Anderson was off. I do know that Ottawa gave up 27 shots in the first period, and that's not Anderson's fault. I also know that Anderson has been great for us this year. Yeah, he's a weird dude (as are a lot of goalies), but he's usually one of our best players every time he plays.

He's been good. Definitely not great. Great would be what he was doing last year

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48304
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:53 am

He faced 31 shots and gave up 3 goals. Since all those shots came in the first half of the game it's fair to say that a lot of them were rebounds. Those are harder to stop since the goalie is often out of position after making a save. On the other hand, you hardly ever see a goalie with a great SV% who is not facing a ton of shots. The three goalies with the best SV% (15+ starts) are Neuvirth (Philly is 29th worst in shots allowed per game), Reimer (Leafs are 25th) and Lundqvist (Rags are 27th). Holtby is 4th best and the Caps are 3rd best in allowing shots on goal -- that's somewhat of an anomaly.

So, yeah, hard to tell without analyzing in a lot more detail, including checking those shots on rebounds -- was the rebound unavoidable or uncontrollable?

On balance I have to agree with Ev -- Anderson's been good but he has not been great.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54631
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:31 am

What constitutes great though? We have a crap defence, so he's seeing grade A chances time and time again.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:59 am

SpezDispensed wrote:What constitutes great though?  We have a crap defence, so he's seeing grade A chances time and time again.  

I don't have the full list, but 28/31 = .903 SV% and that is not great. The Sens are giving up the most shots per game. The Flyers are second worst. Neuvirth's SV% is .939 while Andy's is .915. Good, not great.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:12 pm

I don't have any Corwick to refer to but from actually watching the game and, more importantly, seeing some of those saves from different angles, the numbers don't measure how well Anderson played.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:31 pm

wprager wrote:He faced 31 shots and gave up 3 goals.  Since all those shots came in the first half of the game it's fair to say that a lot of them were rebounds.  Those are harder to stop since the goalie is often out of position after making a save.  On the other hand, you hardly ever see a goalie with a great SV% who is not facing a ton of shots.  The three goalies with the best SV% (15+ starts) are Neuvirth (Philly is 29th worst in shots allowed per game), Reimer (Leafs are 25th) and Lundqvist (Rags are 27th).  Holtby is 4th best and the Caps are 3rd best in allowing shots on goal -- that's somewhat of an anomaly.

So, yeah, hard to tell without analyzing in a lot more detail, including checking those shots on rebounds -- was the rebound unavoidable or uncontrollable?  

On balance I have to agree with Ev -- Anderson's been good but he has not been great.  

By that do you mean...watching sports? Sarcasm
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:56 pm

spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:He faced 31 shots and gave up 3 goals.  Since all those shots came in the first half of the game it's fair to say that a lot of them were rebounds.  Those are harder to stop since the goalie is often out of position after making a save.  On the other hand, you hardly ever see a goalie with a great SV% who is not facing a ton of shots.  The three goalies with the best SV% (15+ starts) are Neuvirth (Philly is 29th worst in shots allowed per game), Reimer (Leafs are 25th) and Lundqvist (Rags are 27th).  Holtby is 4th best and the Caps are 3rd best in allowing shots on goal -- that's somewhat of an anomaly.

You can call it watching but it's more than that. I "watch" all the time but to properly analyze you would need to develop some kind of ranking system for shots (based on shot distance, quality of shooter, first shot vs. rebound, traffic in front, etc.) and then apply that ranking on each shot.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:44 pm

wprager wrote:
    spader wrote:

You can call it watching but it's more than that.  I "watch" all the time but to properly analyze you would need to develop some kind of ranking system for shots (based on shot distance, quality of shooter, first shot vs. rebound, traffic in front, etc.) and then apply that ranking on each shot.  

Or you could just turn the tv on and put the stats down. Shrug

To each his own, I guess.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16498
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:46 pm

Yeah, Walter, the stats only tell half the story. He is facing a LOT of high quality scoring chances. So, yeah, his numbers might not be spectacular, but you gotta actually watch the games to get the full story.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:48 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, Walter, the stats only tell half the story.  He is facing a LOT of high quality scoring chances.  So, yeah, his numbers might not be spectacular, but you gotta actually watch the games to get the full story.

I watch what I can. I cannot watch everything. And from what I have seen, Andy is having a good year, but not a great year. I really don't think anyone would argue with that. He doesn't cost the Sens wins, but that's simply what you expect of a #1. And he does steal a game every once in a while, but that's simply what you expect of a #1.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:37 pm

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, Walter, the stats only tell half the story.  He is facing a LOT of high quality scoring chances.  So, yeah, his numbers might not be spectacular, but you gotta actually watch the games to get the full story.

I watch what I can.  I cannot watch everything.  And from what I have seen, Andy is having a good year, but not a great year.  I really don't think anyone would argue with that.  He doesn't cost the Sens wins, but that's simply what you expect of a #1.  And he does steal a game every once in a while, but that's simply what you expect of a #1.  

So, he's been good? That's great!
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:25 pm

wprager wrote:

I watch what I can.  I cannot watch everything.  And from what I have seen, Andy is having a good year, but not a great year.  I really don't think anyone would argue with that.  He doesn't cost the Sens wins, but that's simply what you expect of a #1.  And he does steal a game every once in a while, but that's simply what you expect of a #1.  

Which is why you're forgiven for being wrong again, as usual.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:45 pm