wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48177
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Thanks, Nissan :(

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:35 am

As some of you may know, my dad recently passed away. It was very sudden and there were many things my mom simply wasn't prepared for. If you are ever in a similar situation, here are some things to avoid:

- If you call 911 make sure your front door is not locked; the police broke it down and then charger her $400 to replace the lock; the door itself had to be replaced (insurance covered it but not the deductable, of course)
    - Don't tell the bank right away that your spouse has passed away and ask them what to do -- they will (at least in Quebec, not sure exactly how it works in Ontario) freeze any joint accounts you have; the process to get then unfrozen can takes weeks or (more likely) months
    - They *are* authorized to release funds to cover funeral/cemetery costs but most probably aren't even aware that they can do it (in any case, transfer funds to a non-joint account before you tell them anything
    - If you are dealing with an aging parent who just lost their partner, it's not a bad idea to tell them to send you a copy of all contracts/receipts/whatever that they receive if they don't have someone more local; believe it or not there are plenty of unscrupulous people who are more than willing to try to strong-arm someone they think will give in easily (one such case was the contractor she originally hired to replace the door)

Which brings me to Nissan. Shortly before my dad passed away he got a new (leased) Nissan Juke. My mom doesn't drive. Semi-jokingly I told her to just not pay the monthly lease bills and they'll just send a collector to take the car away. Saves here the trouble of having to arrange for someone to drive it over, and all the calling involved. Well, my sister stayed with her for a week so they called up the dealer and arrange for the car to be brought back.

The dealer then sends it to an auction, and "the estate" is then on the hook for the difference between what they get at the auction and what is still owed on the lease. The car is brand new, extremely low mileage, very clean. And by the time I found out about it it was too late to point her to LeaseBusters.com.

Here is some of the wording in the letter she received from Nissan, with a bill for $7,927.48!

We confirm that the present balance of this account is $7,927.48.

If this matter is not dealt with immediately we may be seeking instructions to prepare a Statement of Claim, indicating that you are to be sued by Nissan Canada Finance in connection with the above-noted matter.

You may avoid a lawsuit by making a payment in-full within 10 days from the date of this letter.

I just got off the phone with "Jessica" (whose name was at the bottom of the letter). Now, I know it's not her fault, she's just following company policies, using company form letters, etc. And my call probably wasn't the highlight of her day, but I did make a few useful suggestions. Like maybe the letter should start with "Our heartfelt condolences for your recent loss". I expressed that it was my opinion that in cases like this, perhaps the standard form letter is not the best option, and perhaps Nissan should also work with their dealers and inform them that in such cases they should offer options (like looking for someone to take over the lease, or even pointing them to leasebusters.com; I am pretty sure that the dealer sent the car to the auction then called a friend telling him a clean, low-mileage car is on the way that's worth way more than its auction price). She then told me, and I quote:

Sir, I apologize for your opinion.

Well that just set me off even more. You may apologize for your company's actions, but you damn well better not apologize for *my* opinion.

So, what do you think is my next step? Should I drive down to the Nissan dealer and pull a Tim Robbins (Cadillac Man)? E-mail the BBB? Call Consumer Protection?

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16440
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: Thanks, Nissan :(

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:00 pm

Honestly, there likely isn't much you can do if you already returned the vehicle to Nissan. They're (most likely) respecting the terms of the lease. The best you could hope for is to get a hold of a manager at Nissan and hope they have some sympathy.
    dennycrane
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2121
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Post by dennycrane on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:39 pm

Their Facebook page appears to accept comments Smile. Their Twitter handle is @Nissan. If you have a picture of this ridiculous letter, uploading that could cause some enjoyable trouble.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:45 pm

If my mom was a prospective future car buyer I'm sure the leasing guy would have tried to find some other option for her, like another customer how was looking to lease a car or just point her to LeaseBusters. They told her at the time that going the auction route could cost her as much as $5k. I just heard that from my mother -- frankly, if I was with her and they said it could be $5K I would have laughed at them, then asked how many monthly payments would she have to skip for them to just send someone to repossess the car? At least she could then put that as a deadline in her LeaseBusters ad.

Seriously, if you were leasing a car and skipped a few payments, they'd send a repo man to take the car back. And what, then? Your credit rating would suffer? Big deal, my dad no-longer cares about his credit rating. Neither does my mom, she's not going to be taking out any more mortgages.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:51 pm

wprager wrote:If my mom was a prospective future car buyer I'm sure the leasing guy would have tried to find some other option for her, like another customer how was looking to lease a car or just point her to LeaseBusters.  They told her at the time that going the auction route could cost her as much as $5k.  I just heard that from my mother -- frankly, if I was with her and they said it could be $5K I would have laughed at them, then asked how many monthly payments would she have to skip for them to just send someone to repossess the car?  At least she could then put that as a deadline in her LeaseBusters ad.

Seriously, if you were leasing a car and skipped a few payments, they'd send a repo man to take the car back.  And what, then?  Your credit rating would suffer?  Big deal, my dad no-longer cares about his credit rating.  Neither does my mom, she's not going to be taking out any more mortgages.  

I'm sure that, in addition to them repoing the car, that you'd get stuck with the bill for the auction value difference in addition to some sort of extra charge for the repo itself.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:56 pm

Actually, my mom just phoned her notary and was informed that she is *not* the executor of the estate; the estate is not settled yet. So Nissan will have to go Diddle themselves if they want to be paid in 5 days' time.

Look, I realize they are just following company procedures and that it's just a form letter, and I realize that the person I should really be upset with is the car dealer. But that Nissan dealer *is* a representative of the company, whether they like it or not, and his behavior in this case does not put the Nissan brand in a good light. And they really should review those corporate templates because there is no good reason to send a "pay us $8K right Cussing now or we will sue you for $8K plus all legal fees and court costs" letter to a recent widow in her 70s.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:38 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:If my mom was a prospective future car buyer I'm sure the leasing guy would have tried to find some other option for her, like another customer how was looking to lease a car or just point her to LeaseBusters.  They told her at the time that going the auction route could cost her as much as $5k.  I just heard that from my mother -- frankly, if I was with her and they said it could be $5K I would have laughed at them, then asked how many monthly payments would she have to skip for them to just send someone to repossess the car?  At least she could then put that as a deadline in her LeaseBusters ad.

Seriously, if you were leasing a car and skipped a few payments, they'd send a repo man to take the car back.  And what, then?  Your credit rating would suffer?  Big deal, my dad no-longer cares about his credit rating.  Neither does my mom, she's not going to be taking out any more mortgages.  

I'm sure that, in addition to them repoing the car, that you'd get stuck with the bill for the auction value difference in addition to some sort of extra charge for the repo itself.  

About 3000 for the repo and yard costs until the car gets sold. What a racket.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:41 pm

dennycrane wrote:Their Facebook page appears to accept comments Smile. Their Twitter handle is @Nissan. If you have a picture of this ridiculous letter, uploading that could cause some enjoyable trouble.

Hmm, interesting.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:42 pm

tim1_2 wrote:

If someone can't afford the lease payments they figure they're good for the penalties?

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:41 pm

That's awful. I'd be as noisy as I could. I'd escalate every single call and I'd make as big a racket as possible on every social media outlet available. cbc.ca has a consumer protection arm as well. Try to contact them.

This is copy pasted from their contact us page:

Got a gripe? Getting the run-around? Fighting the good fight? Tell us about it!

You can get in touch with us a few different ways:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/contactus/

Email: marketplace@cbc.ca

Mailing Address:
    CBC News: Marketplace
    P.O. Box 500
    Toronto, Ontario
    M5W 1E6

Fax: 416-205-2246
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Good luck.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:26 pm

Things like Marketplace are reserved for when the company is doing something illegal or really shafting the customer. In Prags' case, they've just been insensitive.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:02 pm

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player