You are not connected. Please login or register

How do we fix the Senators

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 26 of 27]

376 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:45 am

Flo The Action


All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispensed wrote:It's not that he's a Turris clone, it's that he's performed at ~PPG level in the NHL and has the pedigree to do it again, especially in the East.  He's a talented C who doesn't (really) skimp on the 2-way play.  I'd say Turris is a Stastny lite right now.

It's a big price, but at the same time, you make the team immediately better and they're better next year and the year after.  You don't trade the 1st for him, you don't trade White or Chabot for him, you offer a potpourri of things - similar to the Dion trade, and you become impactfully better.
Laughing3

Ok ok... Thanks for that. But yes I think we could do worse than stastny and he is an upgrade over Zib. Might also be Backes with a new contract extention. You would dream it was Schwartz but that's not happening.

377 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:49 am

TheAvatar


Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:It's not that he's a Turris clone, it's that he's performed at ~PPG level in the NHL and has the pedigree to do it again, especially in the East.  He's a talented C who doesn't (really) skimp on the 2-way play.  I'd say Turris is a Stastny lite right now.

It's a big price, but at the same time, you make the team immediately better and they're better next year and the year after.  You don't trade the 1st for him, you don't trade White or Chabot for him, you offer a potpourri of things - similar to the Dion trade, and you become impactfully better.
Laughing3

Ok ok... Thanks for that. But yes I think we could do worse than stastny and he is an upgrade over Zib. Might also be Backes with a new contract extention. You would dream it was Schwartz but that's not happening.

At this point, just about anything that means I won't need to watch our current brand of mediocre hockey ... please ... Wink

378 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:51 pm

Oglethorpe


Veteran
Veteran
SpezDispensed wrote:It's not that he's a Turris clone, it's that he's performed at ~PPG level in the NHL and has the pedigree to do it again, especially in the East.  He's a talented C who doesn't (really) skimp on the 2-way play.  I'd say Turris is a Stastny lite right now.

It's a big price, but at the same time, you make the team immediately better and they're better next year and the year after.  You don't trade the 1st for him, you don't trade White or Chabot for him, you offer a potpourri of things - similar to the Dion trade, and you become impactfully better.
Stastny has not been close to a PPG for his last 6 seasons. I'll stand by my assessment that he is a Turris clone, and I wouldn't pay Turris 7M.

379 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:57 pm

Oglethorpe

avatar
Veteran
Veteran
To answer the original question posed by this thread.

Fix the PK and PP. If we were 10th in PP and mid pack in PK we would be in the playoffs based on goal differential (which is a pretty telling stat).

380 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:01 pm

PTFlea

avatar
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Oglethorpe wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:It's not that he's a Turris clone, it's that he's performed at ~PPG level in the NHL and has the pedigree to do it again, especially in the East.  He's a talented C who doesn't (really) skimp on the 2-way play.  I'd say Turris is a Stastny lite right now.

It's a big price, but at the same time, you make the team immediately better and they're better next year and the year after.  You don't trade the 1st for him, you don't trade White or Chabot for him, you offer a potpourri of things - similar to the Dion trade, and you become impactfully better.
Stastny has not been close to a PPG for his last 6 seasons.  I'll stand by my assessment that he is a Turris clone, and I wouldn't pay Turris 7M.

By that rationale though, he had performed at a PPG at Turris' age. Why he declined in point production, I'm not sure, although he hit 60 points in 71 games year before last. St Louis is a dead zone for offence for the most part, I don't really blame him hitting career lows last year with Hitch as coach and a stuffy system.

I like this player, I wanted to sign him when he was a UFA, I think he'd insulate Turris something fierce personally, but I'd like him on a soft trade a la Dion.

381 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:25 pm

spader

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Oglethorpe wrote:To answer the original question posed by this thread.

Fix the PK and PP.  If we were 10th in PP and mid pack in PK we would be in the playoffs based on goal differential (which is a pretty telling stat).

It's probably the most important team stat.

382 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:24 am

LeCaptain

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
If Wikstrand didn't Diddle up at the beginning of the year we might have the best 6 D in the East right now.

383 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:47 pm

tim1_2

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
LeCaptain wrote:If Wikstrand didn't Diddle up at the beginning of the year we might have the best 6 D in the East right now.

I'm unsure how I feel about this comment.  I don't think having another rookie back there would magically catapult us into elite "D" status.

It's tough, because now we have three really good d-men (65, 3, 2), but the rest is a bit of a mixed bag. I look at a team like Washington, and I feel like their D is better overall than ours: http://capitals.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

384 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:11 pm

Ev

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
seeing Hoffman live makes you appreciate how bad he is at a lot of aspects of the game. He's just so lost without the puck on most occasions, and with the puck he hold on to it far too long and makes terrible decisions.

I would not want him long term that is for sure

385 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:36 pm

PTFlea

avatar
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Most important decision the Send have to make is what to do with Hoffman

386 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:00 pm

TheAvatar

avatar
Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:seeing Hoffman live makes you appreciate how bad he is at a lot of aspects of the game. He's just so lost without the puck on most occasions, and with the puck he hold on to it far too long and makes terrible decisions.

I would not want him long term that is for sure

I'd take him 3-4 years for sure. The man is going to putt 40 goals this year and probably maintain that rhythm for the foreseeable future ...

387 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:26 pm

spader

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
TheAvatar wrote:
Ev wrote:seeing Hoffman live makes you appreciate how bad he is at a lot of aspects of the game. He's just so lost without the puck on most occasions, and with the puck he hold on to it far too long and makes terrible decisions.

I would not want him long term that is for sure

I'd take him 3-4 years for sure.  The man is going to putt 40 goals this year and probably maintain that rhythm for the foreseeable future ...  

40? ThumbsUp I'll take it, but that'll be quite a late-season surge.

EDIT: Seriously, though, 30 is definitely doable at this point. It's been a few years since Ottawa had a 30-goal guy. Might have been Spezza last.

388 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:37 am

SeawaySensFan

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispensed wrote:Most important decision the Send have to make is what to do with Hoffman  

With talk of Ottawa and the Blues being up to something I wouldn't be shocked to see Hoff and Zib dealt for Schwartz and Stastny with other pieces to work out the money. Without looking I think that's a net gain in offense for STL.

389 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:55 am

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Spezza had 34 in 2011-12. But Michalek had 25 that year. So, who was the last Sens player with 30 or more goals? Who cares, they're both gone Sad


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

390 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:03 am

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
In any case, Hoffman *will* get 30 barring any significant injury (5+ games).  He's got to stop hitting the irons, though, he'd have 30 by now already if a quarter of his posts/crossbars went in.  And if he wants to pad his stats with a few empty-netters he'll have to improve his game away from the puck.  

BTW, Hoffman has one ENG this year.  I'm a bit surprised by that.  Then I remembered that in the Tampa game they pulled the goalie with something like 9 minutes to go, down 4-1.  But that was Pageau's goal.  When was Hoffman on with the goalie pulled?

Edit: Dallas game, Sens were leading 6-4, scored from with a minute and a half to go from 169 feet out (pretty sure that means the net was empty).


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

391 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:27 am

Flo The Action

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:Most important decision the Send have to make is what to do with Hoffman  

With talk of Ottawa and the Blues being up to something I wouldn't be shocked to see Hoff and Zib dealt for Schwartz and Stastny with other pieces to work out the money. Without looking I think that's a net gain in offense for STL.
This is a joke right? We would be so lucky! Can't see that happening.

392 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:46 am

PTFlea

avatar
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I wish that would happen

393 Re: How do we fix the Senators on Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:08 pm

tim1_2

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
2ndstraight game St Louis is scouting our game.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 26 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum