How do we fix the Senators

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13115
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Re: How do we fix the Senators

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:45 am

SpezDispensed wrote:It's not that he's a Turris clone, it's that he's performed at ~PPG level in the NHL and has the pedigree to do it again, especially in the East. He's a talented C who doesn't (really) skimp on the 2-way play. I'd say Turris is a Stastny lite right now.

It's a big price, but at the same time, you make the team immediately better and they're better next year and the year after. You don't trade the 1st for him, you don't trade White or Chabot for him, you offer a potpourri of things - similar to the Dion trade, and you become impactfully better.
    Laughing3

Ok ok... Thanks for that. But yes I think we could do worse than stastny and he is an upgrade over Zib. Might also be Backes with a new contract extention. You would dream it was Schwartz but that's not happening.

TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by TheAvatar on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:49 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:It's not that he's a Turris clone, it's that he's performed at ~PPG level in the NHL and has the pedigree to do it again, especially in the East. He's a talented C who doesn't (really) skimp on the 2-way play. I'd say Turris is a Stastny lite right now.

It's a big price, but at the same time, you make the team immediately better and they're better next year and the year after. You don't trade the 1st for him, you don't trade White or Chabot for him, you offer a potpourri of things - similar to the Dion trade, and you become impactfully better.
    Laughing3

Ok ok... Thanks for that. But yes I think we could do worse than stastny and he is an upgrade over Zib. Might also be Backes with a new contract extention. You would dream it was Schwartz but that's not happening.

At this point, just about anything that means I won't need to watch our current brand of mediocre hockey ... please ... Wink

Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1855
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:51 pm

Stastny has not been close to a PPG for his last 6 seasons. I'll stand by my assessment that he is a Turris clone, and I wouldn't pay Turris 7M.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1855
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:57 pm

To answer the original question posed by this thread.

Fix the PK and PP. If we were 10th in PP and mid pack in PK we would be in the playoffs based on goal differential (which is a pretty telling stat).
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54409
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:

Stastny has not been close to a PPG for his last 6 seasons. I'll stand by my assessment that he is a Turris clone, and I wouldn't pay Turris 7M.

By that rationale though, he had performed at a PPG at Turris' age. Why he declined in point production, I'm not sure, although he hit 60 points in 71 games year before last. St Louis is a dead zone for offence for the most part, I don't really blame him hitting career lows last year with Hitch as coach and a stuffy system.

I like this player, I wanted to sign him when he was a UFA, I think he'd insulate Turris something fierce personally, but I'd like him on a soft trade a la Dion.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:To answer the original question posed by this thread.

Fix the PK and PP. If we were 10th in PP and mid pack in PK we would be in the playoffs based on goal differential (which is a pretty telling stat).

It's probably the most important team stat.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:24 am

If Wikstrand didn't Diddle up at the beginning of the year we might have the best 6 D in the East right now.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16321
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:47 pm

LeCaptain wrote:If Wikstrand didn't Diddle up at the beginning of the year we might have the best 6 D in the East right now.

I'm unsure how I feel about this comment. I don't think having another rookie back there would magically catapult us into elite "D" status.

It's tough, because now we have three really good d-men (65, 3, 2), but the rest is a bit of a mixed bag. I look at a team like Washington, and I feel like their D is better overall than ours: http://capitals.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20857
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:11 pm

seeing Hoffman live makes you appreciate how bad he is at a lot of aspects of the game. He's just so lost without the puck on most occasions, and with the puck he hold on to it far too long and makes terrible decisions.

I would not want him long term that is for sure
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:36 pm

Most important decision the Send have to make is what to do with Hoffman
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728

Post by TheAvatar on Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:00 pm

Ev wrote:seeing Hoffman live makes you appreciate how bad he is at a lot of aspects of the game. He's just so lost without the puck on most occasions, and with the puck he hold on to it far too long and makes terrible decisions.

I'd take him 3-4 years for sure. The man is going to putt 40 goals this year and probably maintain that rhythm for the foreseeable future ...
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:26 pm

TheAvatar wrote:
    Ev wrote:seeing Hoffman live makes you appreciate how bad he is at a lot of aspects of the game. He's just so lost without the puck on most occasions, and with the puck he hold on to it far too long and makes terrible decisions.

I'd take him 3-4 years for sure. The man is going to putt 40 goals this year and probably maintain that rhythm for the foreseeable future ...

40? ThumbsUp I'll take it, but that'll be quite a late-season surge.

EDIT: Seriously, though, 30 is definitely doable at this point. It's been a few years since Ottawa had a 30-goal guy. Might have been Spezza last.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24764
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:37 am

SpezDispensed wrote:Most important decision the Send have to make is what to do with Hoffman

With talk of Ottawa and the Blues being up to something I wouldn't be shocked to see Hoff and Zib dealt for Schwartz and Stastny with other pieces to work out the money. Without looking I think that's a net gain in offense for STL.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47937

Post by wprager on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:55 am

Spezza had 34 in 2011-12. But Michalek had 25 that year. So, who was the last Sens player with 30 or more goals? Who cares, they're both gone Sad

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47937

Post by wprager on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:03 am

In any case, Hoffman *will* get 30 barring any significant injury (5+ games). He's got to stop hitting the irons, though, he'd have 30 by now already if a quarter of his posts/crossbars went in. And if he wants to pad his stats with a few empty-netters he'll have to improve his game away from the puck.

BTW, Hoffman has one ENG this year. I'm a bit surprised by that. Then I remembered that in the Tampa game they pulled the goalie with something like 9 minutes to go, down 4-1. But that was Pageau's goal. When was Hoffman on with the goalie pulled?

Edit: Dallas game, Sens were leading 6-4, scored from with a minute and a half to go from 169 feet out (pretty sure that means the net was empty).

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13115
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:27 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:Most important decision the Send have to make is what to do with Hoffman

With talk of Ottawa and the Blues being up to something I wouldn't be shocked to see Hoff and Zib dealt for Schwartz and Stastny with other pieces to work out the money. Without looking I think that's a net gain in offense for STL.
    This is a joke right? We would be so lucky! Can't see that happening.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:46 am

I wish that would happen
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16321
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:08 pm

2ndstraight game St Louis is scouting our game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:54 pm