GAME DAY #50: Sabres @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Jan 26 2016

Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1853
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Re: GAME DAY #50: Sabres @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Jan 26 2016

Post by Oglethorpe on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:54 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:If he continues to be frustrated he won't get to the end of his contract without "quietly" asking for a trade.
    I wonder if Dr. Poo is contacting him to call him alarmist for saying "budget team" ?

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:54 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Karlsson had an interesting quote after the game:

"we're a budget team... We don't have the players here that most high skill teams do. We're successful when we play a grinding game."

Heeheehee.  Obviously, he shouldn't have said this.  That said, he is obviously frustrated, and this is how it came out.  It's certainly no secret that the Sens are currently a "budget" team, but we also have the understanding that Melnyk will keep spending more to retain key players, which has been shown so far.  

Still, though, this is a tough stigma to shake...I hope that in 2019/20, Karlsson doesn't feel the same way and will be willing to stick around.

I call a whole lot of BS on that. The team has skills, same group has shown capability of winning last season. The offense has run dry, we can't score on the powerplay, etc.

Quite disappointed to hear such dumb comments from our team captain. It's still not as bad as 'probably not' but it's close.

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:00 pm

And what the shit kind of goals did the sabres score on anderson last night? They were absolute gifts. That's why we lost.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47682
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:43 pm

Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:Like I said, we needed nearly 40 shots to get 2 on Lehner and Andy couldn't keep it under 2.  

Besides Turris coming back, swap out Cowen for Methot and we have two more wins in the last five.

Lol yup Cowen lost the games himself

Wasn't just blaming Cowen but Methot is better, there's no arguing that.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Michallica wrote:And what the Dung kind of goals did the sabres score on anderson last night?  They were absolute gifts.  That's why we lost.

And why didn't someone break a few of Eichel's teeth for that ridiculous celebration on the third goal (I mean someone from the Sabres). It was a 2" tap-in for pete's sake. Maybe Grapes will have something to say about it.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16256
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:27 pm

Michallica wrote:And what the Dung kind of goals did the sabres score on anderson last night?  They were absolute gifts.  That's why we lost.

We also only scored 2 goals on one of the worst teams in the league. So that's also a reason we lost. We can poop all over some of the goals Matrix let in, but he also made some really good saves too, so I think it kind of balanced out.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12928
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:51 pm

tim1_2 wrote:

We also only scored 2 goals on one of the worst teams in the league.  So that's also a reason we lost.  We can poop all over some of the goals Matrix let in, but he also made some really good saves too, so I think it kind of balanced out.  
    Yeah I agree with is. I keep looking at stone and think "that's a guy that is clutching his stick too hard and overthinking right now" I'm sure he'll produce but he's in a funk and a big part of that seems to be mental at the moment. Thank Diddle for Bobby Ryan who's really taken control. Zib looking much better also.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:06 pm

The Senators managed 22 shots on goal in the third period. The Sabres managed 22 shots on goal in the whole game. Anderson gave up 3 goals on those 22 shots. Lehner managed to stop all 22 in the third. That first goal was a bad play by Cowen made infinitely worse by Lehner. He completely misjudged Kane's speed and tried to play the puck when he should have just put his glove on it. The second was a pylon play by Cowen but Anderson didn't even move off the post. Third one you could say that Neil shouldn't have been trying ballet right at that point in time and maybe should have given Eichel a cross check to the larynx for approaching the crease; but how does Anderson *not* put a glove on that one, either?

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:16 pm

We're fine relax.

Could use Shatty to become a top 4 team in the East though.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1853
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:58 pm

LeCaptain wrote:We're fine relax.

Shea Weber wouldn't make this team top 4 in the east.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:22 pm

LeCaptain wrote:We're fine relax.

No we're not. Definitely not where we should be, nor should we be losing to buffalo on the second half of their back to back.

Take a look at the coach's comments and then our captain's comments. Far from fine.

However relatively speaking, we are better than Montreal.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12928
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:02 pm

It's a mix of a few things. Youth is still young and needs to grow into their roles and we have a Dung back-end past the top pairing which half of which should be upgraded as it won't get better.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16256
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:31 am

Michallica wrote:
    No we're not.  Definitely not where we should be, nor should we be losing to buffalo on the second half of their back to back.  

Actually we're pretty much exactly where we should be...battling for a wild card spot. We're a very young team with not a lot of depth. Expecting more than this would be foolish.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:28 am

I agree. We were expected to be a bubble team and we are. If not for injuries (CMac for most of the year, Turris playing hurt since Dec. 6 even if he's only missing a handful of games, Methot missing a few now but likely playing at less than 100% before that), Michalek.

Those are not devastating injuries but when you have Cowen/Wiercioch/Stone regressing like they did and others not picking up slack (Chiasson/Neil/Smith/Pageau) and then you end up with rookies in the lineup (Wideman, Prince, Puempel, Dziurzynski, Dzingel, McCormick) and even Boro at forward. Woof. The only reason we're even close is because much of the rest of the East sucks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:24 pm