Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Lebreton Flats Redevelopment

Post by Hoff-Machine on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Probably deserves it's own thread. Post all new info here so guys like me who aren't in Ottawa any more can keep tabs.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:29 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Ev wrote:So far with the Lebreton leaks, Melnyk's proposal knocks the other one out of the park. The other one has a brewseum and just a lot of random crap. I don't see how the Sens don't win this.

Yeah it's been a real Melnyk hate fest sprinkled with the unfounded Melnyk-is-broke BS. I personally regard the Melnyk bid as the Senators bid and I hope they win. Lots of gimmicks on the other side, which I admit are cool, but more steak than sizzle from the Senators.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20860
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:35 pm

From CBC:

DCDLS, led by Devcore Group, is competing against Rendez Vous LeBreton Group, led by Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk, for the right to redevelop the 9.3 hectares of land just west of downtown Ottawa — with the option of taking on an additional 12.3 hectares.

CBC News has learned DCDLS includes billionaire André Desmarais, the son of the late Paul Desmarais, once the richest man in Quebec, whose estate was worth about $5.6 billion US in 2015.

Major players in the bidding process say Guy Laliberté, founder of Cirque du Soleil, also backs the DCDLS bid.

According to Forbes, Laliberté was worth $2.1 billion US in 2015, and recently sold most of his shares in Cirque du Soleil.

Devcore Group also features Montreal-based developers Broccolini and Canderel, construction firm Pomerleau, plus three architects — Richard Brisbin, Claude Provencher and Moriyama & Teshima.

Both bids include a sports and entertainment centre and a new main public library, while sources familiar with the DCDLS bid told CBC News that plan recently included the following:

-Central library/National Archives building up to 200,000 square feet.
    -NHL-style arena almost entirely underground (two storeys above ground).
    -Automotive museum.
    -'Brewseum' beer museum sponsored by Molson Coors Brewing Company.
    -YMCA.
    -Farm Boy.
    -Skydiving simulator.
    -Botanical garden/man-made beach.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The LeBreton Flats redevelopment proposal backed by Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk aims to return the site to its heyday as a bustling urban hub with five distinct neighbourhoods, a focus on public transit and a world-class library, sources familiar with the bid told CBC News.

The 2,500-page proposal by RendezVous LeBreton Group (RLG) includes an NHL-calibre arena, which would become the Senators' new home rink. Detroit-based Rosetti Architects, which built the team's current home in Kanata, has been chosen by RLG to construct the new, 18,000-seat arena as well.

Sources said the arena will be located between Bayview station and the future Pimisi station. The building will serve as a multi-purpose event centre, and will feature both a glass facade similar to Ottawa's Shaw Centre and wooden cladding in tribute to the area's past as a lumber town.

It will also have a roof-top green space with a walkway and views of Parliament Hill and the city's other sights.

RLG has brought in renowned Danish architect Morten Schmidt — a member of the international team behind the much-admired Halifax Central Library — to help design the library. Sources said the building will be designed to act as a multi-faceted cultural centre rather than a traditional books-on-a-shelf venue.

Sources said the proposed library design could be expanded to include room for Library and Archives Canada, which announced earlier this month that it's working with the Ottawa Public Library on a new central branch.

Other companies involved in the bid include construction firm PCL, Brookfield Asset Management and commercial developer Trinity Development Group, which was involved in the Lansdowne Park project.

A large team of architects worked on the proposal, including well-known local architect Barry Hobin.

The RLG bid includes a public plaza beside the arena with room for approximately 28,000 people, as well as pedestrian connections to the future Bayview and Pimisi light rail transit stations. The entire development will be heavily transit-oriented, sources said.

The bid also includes at least two hotels, commercial and retail space, and a residential component.

The redevelopment, worth a total of $3.5-billion, will include five distinct neighbourhoods to be constructed over three multi-year phases.

-Phase 1 will be built from 2018-26, and will include 1,400 residential and 500 hotel units. The three neighbourhoods to be built during this phase are LeBreton, Pimisi, and the Aqueduct, a pedestrian-only area of street-level shops, bars and condos in the eastern-most section of LeBreton Flats.

-Phase 2 will be built from 2026-2036, and will include another 1,000 residential and 300 hotel units, as well as a fourth neighbourhood.

-Phase 3 will be built after 2036, and will include a fifth neighbourhood.

Sources said the buildings will be massed in such a way that they will not interfere with sight lines to landmarks such as Parliament Hill, a condition stipulated by the National Capital Commission.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:51 pm

daaaaaamn melnyk's group did their homework and then some.

Why is a 'farm boy' listed as one of the highlights in the other bid? Beer museum sounds meh, it could be built anywhere. Melnyk's group is more attractive but then get ready for construction for the next 20 years....
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47948
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:51 pm

The Saddledome wasn't even below ground level:

As cool as it is, what are the advantages of having it mostly underground?

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:53 pm

wprager wrote:The Saddledome wasn't even below ground level:

keeps the building from looking like an arena I think.

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:53 pm

Maybe below ground level is supposed to make it easier for commuters on subways to get to the arena, as opposed to congesting the traffic and crosswalks above ground?
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Michallica wrote:daaaaaamn melnyk's group did their homework and then some.  

Why is a 'farm boy' listed as one of the highlights in the other bid?  Beer museum sounds meh, it could be built anywhere.  Melnyk's group is more attractive but then get ready for construction for the next 20 years....

Puck drops at LeBreton in 2021 according to the Sens proposal.

I think the Farm Boy is to insert some sort of local tie-in.

Last edited by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:56 pm

Michallica wrote:Maybe below ground level is supposed to make it easier for commuters on subways to get to the arena, as opposed to congesting the traffic and crosswalks above ground?

that makes sense but is the LRT underground there?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:57 pm

Why is a 'farm boy' listed as one of the highlights in the other bid?  Beer museum sounds meh, it could be built anywhere.  Melnyk's group is more attractive but then get ready for construction for the next 20 years....

Lol -- Farmboy! Also, an automobile museum? In Canada? You've got the DeLorean, that's it! And Brewseum is only a cool name.

Curiously, I didn't see a cineplex mentioned in either one. Where do people downtown go to see movies?

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:59 pm

wprager wrote:

Lol -- Farmboy!  Also, an automobile museum?  In Canada?  You've got the DeLorean, that's it!  And  Brewseum is only a cool name.  

Curiously, I didn't see a cineplex mentioned in either one.  Where do people downtown go to see movies?

Well there aren't that many people right downtown but they would go to Lansdowne or St Laurent I guess .
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:00 pm

Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:The Saddledome wasn't even below ground level:

keeps the building from looking like an arena I think.

So does rooftop green space.

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:02 pm

wprager wrote:

Lol -- Farmboy!  Also, an automobile museum?  In Canada?  You've got the DeLorean, that's it!  And  Brewseum is only a cool name.  

Curiously, I didn't see a cineplex mentioned in either one.  Where do people downtown go to see movies?

That's true, could use a nice one downtown. My guess is they consider lansdowne being pretty close to downtown and that's where the high-rollers need to go to get their movie fix
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Ev wrote:
    Michallica wrote:Maybe below ground level is supposed to make it easier for commuters on subways to get to the arena, as opposed to congesting the traffic and crosswalks above ground?

You're right, it's not underground there between bayview and whatever station
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:07 pm

Michallica wrote:
    Ev wrote:

You're right, it's not underground there between bayview and whatever station

I guess the "Montreal bidders" were thinking "Metro?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:30 am