GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Lebreton Flats Redevelopment

Lebreton Flats Redevelopment

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

16Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:02 pm

SensHulk


All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
Michallica wrote:daaaaaamn melnyk's group did their homework and then some.  

Why is a 'farm boy' listed as one of the highlights in the other bid?  Beer museum sounds meh, it could be built anywhere.  Melnyk's group is more attractive but then get ready for construction for the next 20 years....

Lol -- Farmboy!  Also, an automobile museum?  In Canada?  You've got the DeLorean, that's it!  And  Brewseum is only a cool name.  

Curiously, I didn't see a cineplex mentioned in either one.  Where do people downtown go to see movies?

That's true, could use a nice one downtown. My guess is they consider lansdowne being pretty close to downtown and that's where the high-rollers need to go to get their movie fix

17Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:04 pm

SensHulk


All-Star
All-Star
Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:Maybe below ground level is supposed to make it easier for commuters on subways to get to the arena, as opposed to congesting the traffic and crosswalks above ground?

that makes sense but is the LRT underground there?

You're right, it's not underground there between bayview and whatever station

18Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:07 pm

SeawaySensFan


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Michallica wrote:
Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:Maybe below ground level is supposed to make it easier for commuters on subways to get to the arena, as opposed to congesting the traffic and crosswalks above ground?

that makes sense but is the LRT underground there?

You're right, it's not underground there between bayview and whatever station

I guess the "Montreal bidders" were thinking "Metro?"

19Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:12 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Michallica wrote:
Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:Maybe below ground level is supposed to make it easier for commuters on subways to get to the arena, as opposed to congesting the traffic and crosswalks above ground?

that makes sense but is the LRT underground there?

You're right, it's not underground there between bayview and whatever station

I guess the "Montreal bidders" were thinking "Metro?"

Melnyk should piss them off by countering with a metro of their own....formerly known as Loeb

20Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:17 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
The Sens' bid involves all Ottawa business people/architects etc and the other bid is all Montreal folks. Shouldn't that play a part in this?

It seems like the other people panicked and put in a Farm Boy to make their bid more Ottawa

21Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:26 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:The Saddledome wasn't even below ground level:


As cool as it is, what are the advantages of having it mostly underground?

The Saddledome is partially below grade. It's not unusual for arenas and stadiums.

22Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:32 pm

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore
If you want to watch the presentations they are being streamed..

http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/capital-planning/master-plans/lebreton-flats/calendar-events/lebreton-flats-redevelopment-public-con

23Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore
SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:The Saddledome wasn't even below ground level:


As cool as it is, what are the advantages of having it mostly underground?

The Saddledome is partially below grade. It's not unusual for arenas and stadiums.

In regards to the arena being partially built underground, it’s to make sure that they don’t have a huge monstrosity of a building blocking the view of the city. They don’t want the arena to stand out.

24Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
in regards to views, the Sens arena or building will not block views to Parliament, war museum, etc.

25Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:49 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Ev wrote:in regards to views, the Sens arena or building will not block views to Parliament, war museum, etc.

Parliament is up on a hill and it's not like an arena is a skyscraper to begin. The other proposal just had it with a lower profile (2-storeys above ground, whereas if the ice is at street level it's like a 5 storey building.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

26Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:53 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Unless you're planning on living in Lebreton Flats, none of us care about the sightlines. They're really going to have to come up with good public transit options, but that'll more up to the city than the developers.

27Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:58 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:Unless you're planning on living in Lebreton Flats, none of us care about the sightlines.  They're really going to have to come up with good public transit options, but that'll more up to the city than the developers.

The NCC cares about the sightlines. And I think the public transit plans already exist and the building plans factor them in. But we'll see, right?

28Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:Unless you're planning on living in Lebreton Flats, none of us care about the sightlines.  They're really going to have to come up with good public transit options, but that'll more up to the city than the developers.

they already did, it's called LRT

29Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:06 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
LRT doesn't serve the whole city.

Anyway, here's more on the Sens bid:

http://illuminationlebreton.ca/

30Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:16 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Presentations
DEVCORE
http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/sites/defau...16_english.pdf

RendezVous
http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/sites/defau...ebreton-bi.pdf

31Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:18 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran
tim1_2 wrote:LRT doesn't serve the whole city.

Anyway, here's more on the Sens bid:

http://illuminationlebreton.ca/
You lost me on transit options. LRT goes to both ends of the area. The western end is where Melnyk's arena will go and that is where LRT and O-Train meet.

32Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:22 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
tim1_2 wrote:Unless you're planning on living in Lebreton Flats, none of us care about the sightlines.  They're really going to have to come up with good public transit options, but that'll more up to the city than the developers.

Another bridge or two (and none of these dinky 1-2 lane bridges, either) would help. 500 parking spaces allocated to the arena is not going to work. Montrealers may be used to taking the bus or metro to the games, but Ottowans will take a while to adapt. Transporting 18,000 to and from was always a huge obstacle in my opinion. I have not seen a solution to that yet. Even if LRT is the answer, that only resolves traffic from the East and South, it does nothing for the North or West. They want to increase the ticketholder base by expanding into Aylmer -- sure, it's not as far as Kanata, but it's still a pain to use the existing routes. And people from Kanata -- the existing ticket holders -- will likely just stay home.

I see where Melnyk wants to go to -- clearly my having fewer seats, stating he wants it to be an event and so on -- translation is "Higher ticket prices". Seriously, it's about time, since they are the lowest tickets in Canada, for a city that is one of the most affluent.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

33Lebreton Flats Redevelopment - Page 2 Empty Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Oglethorpe wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:LRT doesn't serve the whole city.

Anyway, here's more on the Sens bid:

http://illuminationlebreton.ca/
You lost me on transit options.   LRT goes to both ends of the area.  The western end is where Melnyk's arena will go and that is where LRT and O-Train meet.

There is no LRT in the West. Whose Koolaid have you been drinking?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum