Lebreton Flats Redevelopment

Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1853
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Re: Lebreton Flats Redevelopment

Post by Oglethorpe on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:06 pm

wprager wrote:The drive *across* Ottawa is 20 minutes max at top speed.  The issue is getting to the highway.  I live in Morgan's Grant and have had to go to Colonel By highschool a few times, recently.  Takes about a half hour, and 12 minutes of that is spent on March Road getting to the highway.  Getting out of LeBreton will be similar (but worse).  

CTC holds 18K and you have 4,000 cars in the parking lot, most hold 2-3 people.  A few hundred more cars park around.  Of the 18,000 people I'd say 12-15,000 are driving.  That simply will not work in LeBreton, so mass transit will be absolutely essential, and it will not serve Kanata.

Guess you're right, no one cares about Kanata.

LRT will not help Kanata/Stittsville.
    If I lived in the south, centre or east end of the city or in Gatineau I would never go to CTC.

Moving the team to Lebreton is basically tripling the market they can realistically pull fans in from.

Also, using transit makes for more drinking, which makes for a louder and more energetic experience.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12928
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:13 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:
    wprager wrote:The drive *across* Ottawa is 20 minutes max at top speed.  The issue is getting to the highway.  I live in Morgan's Grant and have had to go to Colonel By highschool a few times, recently.  Takes about a half hour, and 12 minutes of that is spent on March Road getting to the highway.  Getting out of LeBreton will be similar (but worse).  

CTC holds 18K and you have 4,000 cars in the parking lot, most hold 2-3 people.  A few hundred more cars park around.  Of the 18,000 people I'd say 12-15,000 are driving.  That simply will not work in LeBreton, so mass transit will be absolutely essential, and it will not serve Kanata.

If I lived in the south, centre or east end of the city or in Gatineau I would never go to CTC.  

Moving the team to Lebreton is basically tripling the market they can realistically pull fans in from.  

Also, using transit makes for more drinking, which makes for a louder and more energetic experience.  

not to mention cash sales of alcohol will likely increase.

you can't lose by moving to lebreton.
    this isn't a half concocted plan from the org. there's lots of market analysis and potential revenue increase that i'm sure they did their homework on. this isn't a gamble and they will make the stadium much more accessible. just being on the border from hull(gatineau now i guess) will directly link the arena to all parts of gatineau. a section of the fan base that the team is well aware as being a huge hockey market. might actually go a long way into converting that regions habs fans into sens fans. or at least their children.

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:16 pm

So who votes on the bidding?
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20775
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:17 pm

NCC votes

Based on people's reaction so far, it seems like everyone thinks the Sens have the worst concept
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:18 pm

Yes it will help because it's a short bus ride to westboro station and then lrt would be quick from there to lebereton

They want less car transportation, that's the point
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:19 pm

wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Oglethorpe wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:LRT doesn't serve the whole city.

Anyway, here's more on the Sens bid:

http://illuminationlebreton.ca/
    You lost me on transit options.   LRT goes to both ends of the area.  The western end is where Melnyk's arena will go and that is where LRT and O-Train meet.

There is no LRT in the West.  Whose Koolaid have you been drinking?

LRt is going to Westboro

LOL you think that's West?  

We're not talking Kanata here. Nobody cares about Kanata.

Like I keep saying, that's where a lot of your season ticket holders live now.  My brother in law has been a season ticket holder for the last 20 years or longer.  He didn't renew this year because he's finding it a huge commitment in time just to go from Beaverbrook to the CTC.  Meanwhile the couch at home is very comfy and the HD broadcast is great (and just wait till they have 4K).  A lot of the ticket holders, like him, are getting older and their kids aren't taking over the tickets, either.  This move will just accelerate their decision.  

Look, I'm not saying the Sens are doomed if they move, not at all.  Just saying that transportation *will be* an issue because a lot of people will still want to come by car, because mass transit simply is not an option.  It's not like Ottawa downtown core has a lot of people -- most live out in Nepean/Barrhaven, Orleanse/Rockland and Kanata.  Sure, you'll get some new season ticket holders from Westboro, just not sure how many of those are hockey consumers to begin.  Guess we'll see.  I suppose if I really wanted I could drive to Barrhaven and take the train.  Actually, I'm probably moving to Barrhaven in the next 4-5 years anyway.

Is your brother in law serious? Sounds pathetic on his part.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47682
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:01 pm

My brother in law is spending more and more of his free time on Maine where he has two houses. He is not pathetic, just busy nearing retirement.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:09 pm

wprager wrote:My brother in law is spending more and more of his free time on Maine where he has two houses. He is not pathetic, just busy nearing retirement.

Fair enough, that is excellent. Just saying if you complain about the commute from bear brook to ctc, you're just complaining for th sake of complaining. It's ten minutes tops.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:09 pm

I saw a comment on another site that the devcore proposal seems like Niigata falls. Agreed
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12928
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Ev wrote:NCC votes

Based on people's reaction so far,  it seems like everyone thinks the Sens have the worst concept

I like it. It think it looks fine. And it's the only concept that will actually have he senators play there.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:59 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:NCC votes

Based on people's reaction so far,  it seems like everyone thinks the Sens have the worst concept

I like it. It think it looks fine. And it's the only concept that will actually have he senators play there.

Naw either one will have tn sens play there eventually
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:10 am

General consensus seems to be Devcore's looks more fun and ambitious, but Sens proposal is more practical and realistic with a much better arena and arena location.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16256
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:19 am

I think everyone agrees that the centre-piece to both plans is the arena. I don't see how Devcore's bid could logically be voted for when they don't own a team, and the NHL isn't providing a new team to Ottawa. It makes no sense to me.

The evaluation committee is supposed to provide a recommendation on which bid to pursue to the NCC in March. You would have to think that Devcore will be going hard after the Sens in the mean time, otherwise they have just wasted their time and money in bidding.

All this talk from Melnyk about how he'll "never the sell the team" is just talk. Everybody has their price, and we'll see if Devcore can find out what his is.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:31 am

tim1_2 wrote:I think everyone agrees that the centre-piece to both plans is the arena.  I don't see how Devcore's bid could logically be voted for when they don't own a team, and the NHL isn't providing a new team to Ottawa.  It makes no sense to me.

The evaluation committee is supposed to provide a recommendation on which bid to pursue to the NCC in March.  You would have to think that Devcore will be going hard after the Sens in the mean time, otherwise they have just wasted their time and money in bidding.

All this talk from Melnyk about how he'll "never the sell the team" is just talk.  Everybody has their price, and we'll see if Devcore can find out what his is.

yeah, if they win the Sens are going there and everyone knows it

that being said it seems like the arena isn't their centre-piece, which I think is a downfall. The arena does not looks as good as the Sens.

I don't see the Sens losing this, but Simmer also mentioned that the head of the NCC and Trudeau have large Montreal ties so they may be swayed by Devcore.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24760
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:51 am

I'm guessing the price is around 1/2 a BILL US.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1853
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:57 am

My only concern about the Devcore proposal is that they say the Event Centre can be built anytime or not at all, which changes the look of their design. Aquarium would be sweet though.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:28 am

If history is any indication, Melnyk will lose as none of his past proposals have gotten off the ground.  Even more so if the other guys have connections.

I can't find any images of the Devcore bid, but Melnyk's proposal looks practical and realistic. I hope he wins, the Sens need to move downtown.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16256
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:11 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:I'm guessing the price is around 1/2 a BILL US.

That would be my guess. The fact that the team is moving downtown really increases the value....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:28 pm