Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Share
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21007
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Ev on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:28 am

    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:Anderson has been overrated this year. For me he hasn't stolen a lot of games. Shots against doesn't mean he's amazing if he stops all but 2 or 3. If we had Hammond in every game we'd have the same record or maybe better IMO.



    Perhaps, but Anderson has been amazing 90% of the time.  I agree, a lot of shots don't tell the story, but you've watched, he's made incredible saves nightly to keep the Sens in the game and give them a chance.  You couldn't ask for anything more with the D we have.

    You could ask for more than a 916 save percentage in today's NHL

    I'm not really one for advanced stats personally, I prefer the old eye test, but I'd say Anderson has had to make saves that are above and beyond the 'normal' tough saves to keep the Sens in games.  I'm very impressed with Hammond, so I'm not really scoffing at the suggestion that he could do the job, but as well as Anderson?  I don't think so.

    And .916 is pretty relative.  Would you take someone with a .921 that plays for a team with good defence, or a guy at .916 with one of the worst defences in the league?  I'd probably take the .916 guy.

    Defence doesn't really inflate a save percentage. Jon Quick always has crappy save percentage. In fact Anderson's should be higher since he faces more shots than any other goalie.

    if he was truly stealing games he'd be what he was at last year

    Sens live and die by their offense

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2032
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:54 am

    Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:Anderson has been overrated this year. For me he hasn't stolen a lot of games. Shots against doesn't mean he's amazing if he stops all but 2 or 3. If we had Hammond in every game we'd have the same record or maybe better IMO.



    Perhaps, but Anderson has been amazing 90% of the time.  I agree, a lot of shots don't tell the story, but you've watched, he's made incredible saves nightly to keep the Sens in the game and give them a chance.  You couldn't ask for anything more with the D we have.

    You could ask for more than a 916 save percentage in today's NHL

    I'm not really one for advanced stats personally, I prefer the old eye test, but I'd say Anderson has had to make saves that are above and beyond the 'normal' tough saves to keep the Sens in games.  I'm very impressed with Hammond, so I'm not really scoffing at the suggestion that he could do the job, but as well as Anderson?  I don't think so.

    And .916 is pretty relative.  Would you take someone with a .921 that plays for a team with good defence, or a guy at .916 with one of the worst defences in the league?  I'd probably take the .916 guy.

    Defence doesn't really inflate a save percentage. Jon Quick always has crappy save percentage. In fact Anderson's should be higher since he faces more shots than any other goalie.

    if he was truly stealing games he'd be what he was at last year

    Sens live and die by their offense

    If we're on the outside looking in at deadline time, do you trade Anderson? No, because he gives you a chance to win every night. I am not sure you can say the same about Hammond.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48296
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:12 pm

    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:Anderson has been overrated this year. For me he hasn't stolen a lot of games. Shots against doesn't mean he's amazing if he stops all but 2 or 3. If we had Hammond in every game we'd have the same record or maybe better IMO.



    Perhaps, but Anderson has been amazing 90% of the time.  I agree, a lot of shots don't tell the story, but you've watched, he's made incredible saves nightly to keep the Sens in the game and give them a chance.  You couldn't ask for anything more with the D we have.

    Thing is, that's exactly what you expect of a #1. He's not leading the league in SV%, not even close. Saying that your goalie is making huge saves is like saying Karlsson can really skate and stickhandle. Umm, yeah, that's his *JOB* and he gets paid well for it.

    Unbelievable/game-saving is the run that Hammond went on last season, made all the more fantastic because he was an AHL callup, and not a very successful one, at that.



    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48296
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:16 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:In the history of this franchise - perhaps excluding the expansion years, has this team ever needed a veteran left hander more than it does now?  Even a player with moderate success in the NHL for more than 5 years would be a blessing.

    How...repeat: how are we still close to a playoff spot??  Forget Karlsson for the Hart, if we make the playoffs how about Anderson for Hart?

    Karlsson will probably win the Hart at this rate.

    You can add a veteran D on either side at this point. A righty to push Ceci down or a lefty to help him on the 2nd pairing. Either way.

    I'd take either, but a lefty would give Ceci a partner to grow with, as opposed to sticking him with Wier and hoping one of them doesn't crap their pants on a shift by shift basis.

    Yeah. Anyway, maybe you could say the same for Wiercioch having a partner to grow with.



    All I can say is I hope this veteran D comes in and Ceci gets a lot better and proves me wrong. We all know that the next time I'm wrong will be the first time, though. People keep ignoring that he's been paired with Methot and it didn't work so I really don't know what to say anymore.

    Thing about Wiercioch is he has more than 350 pro games under his belt and is 25, whereas Ceci has under 200 games and is 22. Not saying that Wiercioch should be a seasoned veteran but, well, yeah, kinda.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 46
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:20 pm

    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48296
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:31 pm

    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:Anderson has been overrated this year. For me he hasn't stolen a lot of games. Shots against doesn't mean he's amazing if he stops all but 2 or 3. If we had Hammond in every game we'd have the same record or maybe better IMO.



    Perhaps, but Anderson has been amazing 90% of the time.  I agree, a lot of shots don't tell the story, but you've watched, he's made incredible saves nightly to keep the Sens in the game and give them a chance.  You couldn't ask for anything more with the D we have.

    You could ask for more than a 916 save percentage in today's NHL

    I'm not really one for advanced stats personally, I prefer the old eye test, but I'd say Anderson has had to make saves that are above and beyond the 'normal' tough saves to keep the Sens in games.  I'm very impressed with Hammond, so I'm not really scoffing at the suggestion that he could do the job, but as well as Anderson?  I don't think so.

    And .916 is pretty relative.  Would you take someone with a .921 that plays for a team with good defence, or a guy at .916 with one of the worst defences in the league?  I'd probably take the .916 guy.

    Completely disagree! He's made saves that you expect a #1 to make. You *do* expect a #1 to make some highlight reel saves. I watch the highlights sometimes and you rarely see Anderson in them, not as much as Rinne, Crawford, Price -- of course and so on. He's had highlight reel saves, for sure, but no more than pretty much any other goalie in the league. And given that he's faced the most shots, you would expect the number of highlight real ones to also be up, right?

    He's had to make more saves, in total. That much cannot be disputed. While he's facing 33.5 shots per game, Flyers goalies are facing 32.1 (next worst in the league); but the Sens are giving up 2.98 goals per game the Flyers are giving up just 2.57. They have given up 24 fewer goals than the Sens in only 2 fewer games played. How did all those extra goals get scored? Well, Anderson's .916 is not really dragged down much by Hammond's or O'Connor's .912 (and Driedger is 1.000 lifetime, right?) but over in Philly you have the #1 Mason with a very similar .915, but Neuvirth is at .936!

    You can feel sorry for Anderson with the amount of work he faces each night, but he's really not that far ahead of others, who *are* doing better.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21007
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Ev on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:44 pm

    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:Anderson has been overrated this year. For me he hasn't stolen a lot of games. Shots against doesn't mean he's amazing if he stops all but 2 or 3. If we had Hammond in every game we'd have the same record or maybe better IMO.



    Perhaps, but Anderson has been amazing 90% of the time.  I agree, a lot of shots don't tell the story, but you've watched, he's made incredible saves nightly to keep the Sens in the game and give them a chance.  You couldn't ask for anything more with the D we have.

    You could ask for more than a 916 save percentage in today's NHL

    I'm not really one for advanced stats personally, I prefer the old eye test, but I'd say Anderson has had to make saves that are above and beyond the 'normal' tough saves to keep the Sens in games.  I'm very impressed with Hammond, so I'm not really scoffing at the suggestion that he could do the job, but as well as Anderson?  I don't think so.

    And .916 is pretty relative.  Would you take someone with a .921 that plays for a team with good defence, or a guy at .916 with one of the worst defences in the league?  I'd probably take the .916 guy.

    Defence doesn't really inflate a save percentage. Jon Quick always has crappy save percentage. In fact Anderson's should be higher since he faces more shots than any other goalie.

    if he was truly stealing games he'd be what he was at last year

    Sens live and die by their offense

    If we're on the outside looking in at deadline time, do you trade Anderson? No, because he gives you a chance to win every night. I am not sure you can say the same about Hammond.

    Hammond is 23-5-3 in his career so far. I would certainly say he gives them a chance to win every night.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 46
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:02 pm

    I guess we're back to "trade everyone" then.
    avatar
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 8461
    Age : 32
    Location : Orange County, CA
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:10 pm

    Anderson was very good for the last two games in this trip, but I have absolutely no problems pinning the loss in anaheim squarely on his shoulders. Those were some Dung goals he allowed. Ironically, that was probably the best game the sens played through 60 (or 55) mins on this trip

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2032
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:22 pm

    Ev wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:Anderson has been overrated this year. For me he hasn't stolen a lot of games. Shots against doesn't mean he's amazing if he stops all but 2 or 3. If we had Hammond in every game we'd have the same record or maybe better IMO.



    Perhaps, but Anderson has been amazing 90% of the time.  I agree, a lot of shots don't tell the story, but you've watched, he's made incredible saves nightly to keep the Sens in the game and give them a chance.  You couldn't ask for anything more with the D we have.

    You could ask for more than a 916 save percentage in today's NHL

    I'm not really one for advanced stats personally, I prefer the old eye test, but I'd say Anderson has had to make saves that are above and beyond the 'normal' tough saves to keep the Sens in games.  I'm very impressed with Hammond, so I'm not really scoffing at the suggestion that he could do the job, but as well as Anderson?  I don't think so.

    And .916 is pretty relative.  Would you take someone with a .921 that plays for a team with good defence, or a guy at .916 with one of the worst defences in the league?  I'd probably take the .916 guy.

    Defence doesn't really inflate a save percentage. Jon Quick always has crappy save percentage. In fact Anderson's should be higher since he faces more shots than any other goalie.

    if he was truly stealing games he'd be what he was at last year

    Sens live and die by their offense

    If we're on the outside looking in at deadline time, do you trade Anderson? No, because he gives you a chance to win every night. I am not sure you can say the same about Hammond.

    Hammond is 23-5-3 in his career so far. I would certainly say he gives them a chance to win every night.

    3-4-1 this year.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21007
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Ev on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:09 pm

    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:Anderson has been overrated this year. For me he hasn't stolen a lot of games. Shots against doesn't mean he's amazing if he stops all but 2 or 3. If we had Hammond in every game we'd have the same record or maybe better IMO.



    Perhaps, but Anderson has been amazing 90% of the time.  I agree, a lot of shots don't tell the story, but you've watched, he's made incredible saves nightly to keep the Sens in the game and give them a chance.  You couldn't ask for anything more with the D we have.

    You could ask for more than a 916 save percentage in today's NHL

    I'm not really one for advanced stats personally, I prefer the old eye test, but I'd say Anderson has had to make saves that are above and beyond the 'normal' tough saves to keep the Sens in games.  I'm very impressed with Hammond, so I'm not really scoffing at the suggestion that he could do the job, but as well as Anderson?  I don't think so.

    And .916 is pretty relative.  Would you take someone with a .921 that plays for a team with good defence, or a guy at .916 with one of the worst defences in the league?  I'd probably take the .916 guy.

    Defence doesn't really inflate a save percentage. Jon Quick always has crappy save percentage. In fact Anderson's should be higher since he faces more shots than any other goalie.

    if he was truly stealing games he'd be what he was at last year

    Sens live and die by their offense

    If we're on the outside looking in at deadline time, do you trade Anderson? No, because he gives you a chance to win every night. I am not sure you can say the same about Hammond.

    Hammond is 23-5-3 in his career so far. I would certainly say he gives them a chance to win every night.

    3-4-1 this year.

    He gives them a chance to win and only had one bad game against Washington.

    I don't see how anyone can refute that he gives them a chance to win. Any goalie in the league should, that's their job.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:59 pm

    wprager wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:Anderson has been overrated this year. For me he hasn't stolen a lot of games. Shots against doesn't mean he's amazing if he stops all but 2 or 3. If we had Hammond in every game we'd have the same record or maybe better IMO.



    Perhaps, but Anderson has been amazing 90% of the time.  I agree, a lot of shots don't tell the story, but you've watched, he's made incredible saves nightly to keep the Sens in the game and give them a chance.  You couldn't ask for anything more with the D we have.

    You could ask for more than a 916 save percentage in today's NHL

    I'm not really one for advanced stats personally, I prefer the old eye test, but I'd say Anderson has had to make saves that are above and beyond the 'normal' tough saves to keep the Sens in games.  I'm very impressed with Hammond, so I'm not really scoffing at the suggestion that he could do the job, but as well as Anderson?  I don't think so.

    And .916 is pretty relative.  Would you take someone with a .921 that plays for a team with good defence, or a guy at .916 with one of the worst defences in the league?  I'd probably take the .916 guy.

    Completely disagree!  He's made saves that you expect a #1 to make.  You *do* expect a #1 to make some highlight reel saves.  I watch the highlights sometimes and you rarely see Anderson in them, not as much as Rinne, Crawford, Price -- of course and so on.  He's had highlight reel saves, for sure, but no more than pretty much any other goalie in the league.  And given that he's faced the most shots, you would expect the number of highlight real ones to also be up, right?  

    He's had to make more saves, in total.  That much cannot be disputed.  While he's facing 33.5 shots per game, Flyers goalies are facing 32.1 (next worst in the league); but the Sens are giving up 2.98 goals per game the Flyers are giving up just 2.57.  They have given up 24 fewer goals than the Sens in only 2 fewer games played.  How did all those extra goals get scored?  Well, Anderson's .916 is not really dragged down much by Hammond's or O'Connor's .912  (and Driedger is 1.000 lifetime, right?) but over in Philly you have the #1 Mason with a very similar .915, but Neuvirth is at .936!  

    You can feel sorry for Anderson with the amount of work he faces each night, but he's really not that far ahead of others, who *are* doing better.

    There is a big difference between Rinne and Crawford's defence and Ottawa's. I mean...one is strong, one is weak, it's not comparable, neither are the goaltending stats etc. IMO. Price is pretty much the best goalie in the world, so comparing him to Anderson isn't really gonna work either.

    Anderson makes a ton of saves and he saves Ottawa's hide basically nightly. I don't know if there's too much to debate about here. He's a saviour.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16490
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:03 pm

    There's no sense arguing with Walter about our goaltending. Unless Anderson is absolutely perfect, he considers him sub-par.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13342
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:07 pm

    Anderson has been more than fine. Especially if you count the defence playing in front of him. We did good by keeping him. I had my worries when the trade was about to go down but it looks like he's bringing consistency.
    avatar
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 8461
    Age : 32
    Location : Orange County, CA
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:00 pm

    Well. Mikael Wikstrand officially loaned to Farjestad. Curious about this decision, I guess sens management caved and let him play in Sweden. Bad example in my books but cutting their losses as trade bait

    Sponsored content

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:14 am