Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:03 pm

There's no sense arguing with Walter about our goaltending. Unless Anderson is absolutely perfect, he considers him sub-par.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12923
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Anderson has been more than fine. Especially if you count the defence playing in front of him. We did good by keeping him. I had my worries when the trade was about to go down but it looks like he's bringing consistency.

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Well. Mikael Wikstrand officially loaned to Farjestad. Curious about this decision, I guess sens management caved and let him play in Sweden. Bad example in my books but cutting their losses as trade bait
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24754
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Michallica wrote:Well. Mikael Wikstrand officially loaned to Farjestad.  Curious about this decision, I guess sens management caved and let him play in Sweden.  Bad example in my books but cutting their losses as trade bait

Speaking of trade bait... any trades?
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Senators press release:

The Ottawa Senators (@Senators) announced today that the club has loaned defenceman Mikael Wikstrand to Färjestad BK of the Swedish Hockey League (SHL) for the remainder of the 2015-16 season.

“After further conversations with both the player and his representatives, it appears that playing hockey in North America is not a consideration for Mikael at any point in the immediate future,” said Senators general manager Bryan Murray. “In an effort to further monitor his development, we have agreed to loan Mikael to Färjestad for the remainder of the season. We will retain his North American rights and should he change his outlook on working towards playing in the National Hockey League, we will be open to discussing a potential return at an appropriate time in the future.”

Ottawa’s seventh-round selection in the 2012 NHL Draft (196th overall), Wikstrand’s loan to Färjestad is effective immediately.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Wikstrand will play in Ottawa. He could be playing right now if he came over.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:11 pm

Flo The Action wrote:Anderson has been more than fine. Especially if you count the defence playing in front of him. We did good by keeping him. I had my worries when the trade was about to go down but it looks like he's bringing consistency.

He's been good but not elite stealing game levels people are talking about.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47671
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:35 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:Anderson has been overrated this year. For me he hasn't stolen a lot of games. Shots against doesn't mean he's amazing if he stops all but 2 or 3. If we had Hammond in every game we'd have the same record or maybe better IMO.

Perhaps, but Anderson has been amazing 90% of the time.  I agree, a lot of shots don't tell the story, but you've watched, he's made incredible saves nightly to keep the Sens in the game and give them a chance.  You couldn't ask for anything more with the D we have.

You could ask for more than a 916 save percentage in today's NHL

I'm not really one for advanced stats personally, I prefer the old eye test, but I'd say Anderson has had to make saves that are above and beyond the 'normal' tough saves to keep the Sens in games.  I'm very impressed with Hammond, so I'm not really scoffing at the suggestion that he could do the job, but as well as Anderson?  I don't think so.

And .916 is pretty relative.  Would you take someone with a .921 that plays for a team with good defence, or a guy at .916 with one of the worst defences in the league?  I'd probably take the .916 guy.

Completely disagree!  He's made saves that you expect a #1 to make.  You *do* expect a #1 to make some highlight reel saves.  I watch the highlights sometimes and you rarely see Anderson in them, not as much as Rinne, Crawford, Price -- of course and so on.  He's had highlight reel saves, for sure, but no more than pretty much any other goalie in the league.  And given that he's faced the most shots, you would expect the number of highlight real ones to also be up, right?  

He's had to make more saves, in total.  That much cannot be disputed.  While he's facing 33.5 shots per game, Flyers goalies are facing 32.1 (next worst in the league); but the Sens are giving up 2.98 goals per game the Flyers are giving up just 2.57.  They have given up 24 fewer goals than the Sens in only 2 fewer games played.  How did all those extra goals get scored?  Well, Anderson's .916 is not really dragged down much by Hammond's or O'Connor's .912  (and Driedger is 1.000 lifetime, right?) but over in Philly you have the #1 Mason with a very similar .915, but Neuvirth is at .936!  

You can feel sorry for Anderson with the amount of work he faces each night, but he's really not that far ahead of others, who *are* doing better.

There is a big difference between Rinne and Crawford's defence and Ottawa's.  I mean...one is strong, one is weak, it's not comparable, neither are the goaltending stats etc. IMO.  Price is pretty much the best goalie in the world, so comparing him to Anderson isn't really gonna work either.  

Anderson makes a ton of saves and he saves Ottawa's hide basically nightly.  I don't know if there's too much to debate about here.  He's a saviour.

You completely missed my point!

Playing behind a Dung defense -- if you are a great goalie, of course -- should mean that you are making a spectacular save after spectacular save. If you are playing behind a great defense then your "highlights" will consist of pucks bouncing off you and the defense simply clearing them, away. It is precisely when your defense is Dung the bed that you get to see *AMAZING* saves. And I have seen more highlights of other goalies making those saves (even though they are facing fewer shots) than Anderson (who has a lot more opportunities to make it to the highlight reel).

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:36 pm

tim1_2 wrote:There's no sense arguing with Walter about our goaltending.  Unless Anderson is absolutely perfect, he considers him sub-par.

I am making perfect sense, you are just blinded by your devotion to that bald lech.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:39 pm

Flo The Action wrote:Anderson has been more than fine. Especially if you count the defence playing in front of him. We did good by keeping him. I had my worries when the trade was about to go down but it looks like he's bringing consistency.

I don't disagree. He's been very good. But this is the *best* league in the world and most goalies who have attained the #1 status are very good. Some are better, sure, but you have the top-five elite, then the bulk who are very good, and they a small number that really should not be in the NHL as starters. Anderson -- this year -- has not been in that elite top five, there's no way he should be the Hart nominee for this team.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:39 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Michallica wrote:Well. Mikael Wikstrand officially loaned to Farjestad.  Curious about this decision, I guess sens management caved and let him play in Sweden.  Bad example in my books but cutting their losses as trade bait

Speaking of trade bait... any trades?

No. Just bait. Just bait and see.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Ev wrote:

He's been good but not elite stealing game levels people are talking about.

We're the only two making sense.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:47 pm

And that kinda reminds of of NEELY. Uh-oh.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:50 pm

Methot won't play tomorrow, Cameron says he doesn't know whether he will be out long or short term. Good thing they've got Wikstrand back on the ice playing now. Might need him sooner rather than later. Karlsson and two Swedish rookies. What could go wrong.

Turris and Hoffman are game-time decisions. I didn't know there was anything wrong with Turris (other than from his lacklustre play of late).

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:50 pm

Ev wrote:Wikstrand will play in Ottawa. He could be playing right now if he came over.

Yeah....maybe as an opposing player. Not a chance in hell he'll play as a senator. He may have skills but with the choice words murray/dorion had for him, this guy is done in terms of being a senator.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24754
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:54 pm

wprager wrote:Methot won't play tomorrow, Cameron says he doesn't know whether he will be out long or short term.  Good thing they've got Wikstrand back on the ice playing now.  Might need him sooner rather than later.  Karlsson and two Swedish rookies.  What could go wrong.

Turris and Hoffman are game-time decisions.  I didn't know there was anything wrong with Turris (other than from his lacklustre play of late).  

I think he's been playing with pain or an injury or two since before Christmas. You wouldn't know that just looking at the score sheet though.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:58 pm

I honestly think he's been playing to keep his iron man streak alive. It's commendable that something like that means so much to him, but it might serve the team better to sit him out to heal up.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:48 pm

Michallica wrote:I honestly think he's been playing to keep his iron man streak alive. It's commendable that something like that means so much to him, but it might serve the team better to sit him out to heal up.  

Yeah, I'm wondering the same.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 pm