Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1950
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:04 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Is Marc Crawford the solution? Enough is enough bringing in unproven coaches. Crawford is hungry, Sens need an experienced coach. Jason Smith also has to go. We haven't had a good defenceman come up through the system in quite some time. Maybe Luke should be promoted to D coach or Assistant?

As for GM, I believe Murray sees the writing on the wall. Since he has taken over Ottawa has regressed significanlty. Even looking at the farm team, there isn't much left in the cupboards anymore. I barely recognize any names in Bingo since the Phaneuf/Rochester trades. At this point they should be looking at a GM who isn't afraid to move on from players if it means trading away or not signing fan favourites or people he drafted/acquired. I am going to be so disappointed when Murray re-signs Chiasson. Absolutely livid for that matter.

I also agree with Melnyk re: salary. A lot of money was being wasted this season on Phillips, Michalek, Greening, Wiercioch, Cowen, Chiasson and with MacArthur hurt. That's what, close to $20M right there? This comes down to poor asset management and aside from MacArthur's injury should fall squarely on Murray's shoulders. I completely agree that Melnyk has reason to be upset. There is no reason you couldn't ice a quality team for $68M. I am not saying the model I proposed is perfect but it shows it is attainable.

Line 1: $20M, Line 2: $12M, Line 3: $7M, Line 4: $3M
    D1-2: $12M, D3-4: $6M, D5-6: $3M
    G: $5M

It is all about asset management and I think Murray has failed at that significantly having traded Bishop and Spezza for nothing, being inactive in free agency, and re-signing regressing players to ludicrous deals. I get that vet leadership is needed but at some point you look at bringing in leaders who can still play.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20863
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:06 pm

Why would anybody be livid if they re-signed Chiasson? He's fine as a fourth line RW and has actually been good for the last month. He costs nothing to re-sign either.

The cupboard shouldn't be judged by Bingo. Other than O'Connor, the team's best prospects are playing outside of the AHL: Wikstrand, White, Chabot, Gagne, Chlapik, Hogberg, Englund, etc.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13120
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:09 pm

no way is alfie ready to be a GM. and i highly doubt anyone but Dorion gets the position. it could mean cameron is out and i hope it is. what it does mean is that Melnyk viewed the financial report to the team this year in respect to the exchange rates he's having to pay and lost it. without the playoffs it's true, this team is not profitable. it's up to him and management to put a product on the ice that makes it profitable by reaching the post season. he might be getting that if he's talking about veteran leadership. he did elude to the fact that we have good young pieces that could be moved and he probably means hoffman.
    so yeah, something is coming this summer for sure. should be interesting. personnel and players are likely to move around.
    as for cameron i wouldn't say he's guaranteed to be moved out but if he good NHL coach becomes available then they could be firing him. i doubt they fire him without a replacement waiting in the wing.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:14 pm

Ev wrote:Why would anybody be livid if they re-signed Chiasson? He's fine as a fourth line RW and has actually been good for the last month. He costs nothing to re-sign either.

The cupboard shouldn't be judged by Bingo. Other than O'Connor, the team's best prospects are playing outside of the AHL: Wikstrand, White, Chabot, Gagne, Chlapik, Hogberg, Englund, etc.
    ya i'm absolutely fine with extending chiasson for another year. he's someone that can play up and down the line-up and judging from recent games might even be turning a corner into figuring out how to use his size to drive for the net. not saying this is a huge turn around but he could be a guy putting 10 goals from the bottom 2 lines. i'd much rather have him play than Neil, especially if we have some young offencively minded youth on the bottom lines. although losing Neil will sorely hurt the leadership of this team and even more reson to go out and get some solid vet presence.
    i worry about ladd as the numbers show he has been declining for a few seasons but the leadership is there.
    we'll see. for once i'm actually thinking this off season might not be completely dead.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47948
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:17 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Is Marc Crawford the solution? Enough is enough bringing in unproven coaches. Crawford is hungry, Sens need an experienced coach. Jason Smith also has to go. We haven't had a good defenceman come up through the system in quite some time. Maybe Luke should be promoted to D coach or Assistant?

As for GM, I believe Murray sees the writing on the wall. Since he has taken over Ottawa has regressed significanlty. Even looking at the farm team, there isn't much left in the cupboards anymore. I barely recognize any names in Bingo since the Phaneuf/Rochester trades. At this point they should be looking at a GM who isn't afraid to move on from players if it means trading away or not signing fan favourites or people he drafted/acquired. I am going to be so disappointed when Murray re-signs Chiasson. Absolutely livid for that matter.

I also agree with Melnyk re: salary. A lot of money was being wasted this season on Phillips, Michalek, Greening, Wiercioch, Cowen, Chiasson and with MacArthur hurt. That's what, close to $20M right there? This comes down to poor asset management and aside from MacArthur's injury should fall squarely on Murray's shoulders. I completely agree that Melnyk has reason to be upset. There is no reason you couldn't ice a quality team for $68M. I am not saying the model I proposed is perfect but it shows it is attainable.

That's $68M and you still need a G2 (and a D7, possibly F13). What happens to your model when Karlsson is making $10M -- you pay your #2 $2M?

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:17 pm

Ev wrote:Why would anybody be livid if they re-signed Chiasson? He's fine as a fourth line RW and has actually been good for the last month. He costs nothing to re-sign either.

If they could talk The Chiasser into a 2-year deal with the first year being 2-way money, I think a year (or less depending on progress) in Bingo could get his career back on track.

You can the NHL as a place where our best prospects that are playing outside the AHL with Dzingel, The Pumper and Paul getting games up here.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:41 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:

If they could talk The Chiasser into a 2-year deal with the first year being 2-way money, I think a year (or less depending on progress) in Bingo could get his career back on track.

You can the NHL as a place where our best prospects that are playing outside the AHL with Dzingel, The Pumper and Paul getting games up here.

i really doubt that would fly. chiasson would rather holdout and test the open market and get a deal from any other association than go to the AHL. none the less, outside of the box thinking. go talk to melnyk, he might have a job for you. i hear they are restructuring.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1861
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:40 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:It's a bit contradictory at moments. He says we don't need to throw money at the team yet he says we need to acquire a couple of veteran players to bring leadership. Interesting to see how that gets done.

I dunno. Melnyk is always lip service. I don't trust what ever he says. I think everyone and their dog knows that some level of change is coming to the org so those are easy statements.

I think he knows what we know - and that's that this team has precious little veteran leadership - especially at forward.  Why do you think I want to get Statsny so badly?  We need someone to come in who's been through it before - a Phaneuf at forward.  Eriksson is a pipe dream IMO, I'd sign with a contender if I could and I was him.  So...Ladd?  I doubt he'll sign here, so he needs a GM to come in here and look for another desperate team like Toronto and make a move for a veteran forward and one veteran D-man for the third pairing (Polak would be nice).

Cameron LOST it this year...like MacLean before him, so it's time for a veteran coach too.  Murray bet on ZBad and Turris and lost the bet, and he'll have to move on because of it.
    Claude Julien, Loui and Gomez.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Oglethorpe on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:43 pm

Michallica wrote:It's Karlsson.  Didn't we hear something from Guillame Latendresse where Karlsson outright refused to follow Paul Maclean's orders?  Something to that extent.

Anyways, right or wrong, Karlsson is the man and u need a coach that gets the best out of him.  But how many coaches does Karlsson need before he gets labelled a 'coach killer' by some fans?

I like what Melnyk said today, it was needed.  This has been a colossal failure, and everyone has to be accountable.  

However, his comment about playing O'Connor on opening night, calling it a 'stupid' decision.....you know hindsight is 20/20, and at the time it was a low risk move. We scored one goal that game and lost 3-1, not sure starting O'connor was the reason for the loss.  That's embarrassing to hear our owner speak such a way and pretty disrespectful to Cameron.
    And Cameron was pretty disrespectful to Greg Anderson by not giving him the home opener.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Oglethorpe on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:48 pm

wprager wrote:

That's $68M and you still need a G2 (and a D7, possibly F13).  What happens to your model when Karlsson is making $10M -- you pay your #2 $2M?
    The cap will be higher by then and even spending to the new mid point accounts for increases.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Oglethorpe on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:51 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Paul should be playing top 6 centre in Bingo next year. ALL YEAR. The organizational philosophy of developing players in the NHL is garbage, because coaches ice the best team for each game, they aren't wired to look to the future.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54423
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:52 pm

wprager wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:It's a bit contradictory at moments. He says we don't need to throw money at the team yet he says we need to acquire a couple of veteran players to bring leadership. Interesting to see how that gets done.

I dunno. Melnyk is always lip service. I don't trust what ever he says. I think everyone and their dog knows that some level of change is coming to the org so those are easy statements.

I think he knows what we know - and that's that this team has precious little veteran leadership - especially at forward.  Why do you think I want to get Statsny so badly?  We need someone to come in who's been through it before - a Phaneuf at forward.  Eriksson is a pipe dream IMO, I'd sign with a contender if I could and I was him.  So...Ladd?  I doubt he'll sign here, so he needs a GM to come in here and look for another desperate team like Toronto and make a move for a veteran forward and one veteran D-man for the third pairing (Polak would be nice).

Cameron LOST it this year...like MacLean before him, so it's time for a veteran coach too.  Murray bet on ZBad and Turris and lost the bet, and he'll have to move on because of it.

He also bet on Cowen/Wiercioch and lost even worse.

Very true.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:

if gomez is the best we can do as bringing in vet leadership then we are truly Cussed.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Oglethorpe on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:55 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    Oglethorpe wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:

if gomez is the best we can do as bringing in vet leadership then we are truly Cussed.
    We need a 4th line centre.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16329
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:18 pm

We can never forget The Hogburglar.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:19 pm

It's almost time to put Alfie as head coach . Try to not listen to him. You can Diddle right off if you can't be coached by Alfie
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16329
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:21 pm

Lo! Much like The Great One, I'm not sure The Alfie would make a good coach.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:16 pm

I think he would personally

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:39 am