dennycrane
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2121
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Revisit the Trade: Spezza to Dallas

Post by dennycrane on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:33 pm

Hard to judge trades the day they are made (though we do). Let's look back at some more notable ones:

** Adding in subsequent trade of picks to give complete picture - Gagne for Dallas 2nd and Ottawa 3rd in 2016
    To Dallas: Jason Spezza, Ludwig Karlsson, 3rd in 2016
    To Ottawa: Alex Chiasson, Alex Guptill, Nicholas Paul, Gabriel Gagne

So Who Won?
    Essentially, this is a classic short-term vs. long-term trade. To this point, Dallas is the winner as they have someone in the lineup producing, whereas Ottawa has some potential in Paul and Gagné. Dallas got immediate scoring and they are a first place team this year. Ottawa did attempt to resign Spezza but he declined. Interesting to think how different the team would look with Spezza-Turris-Zibanejad as your top 3 centers (list in no particular order).

Ottawa's big win is that money is freed up and Spezza is getting 1st line money for borderline 1st line production (39 pts in 50 games). Additionally, Ottawa's offence continues to do well so they traded from strength. Paul and Gagne could turn out to be productive forwards, which would make this a big win for Ottawa, but you will not see either being contributing forwards before the 17-18 season.

NHL Stats Since Trade
    Spezza - 34 G, 67 A - 101 pts in 132 games
    Chiasson - 14 G, 18 A - 32 pts in 121 games

Guptill and Karlsson are both in the ECHL, so that makes them a wash. Paul has struggled in Bingo but that is not a bad thing long term. He has produced more lately. Gagne has been point a game in junior this year despte being traded. Chiasson has been a 4th liner when not scratched. He had a good start in Ottawa but has been mostly a dud. The 3rd round pick, now belonging to NJ, could be as high as a high 60's pick.

Spezza's overall value has been picked apart endlessly. I was always a fan but thought it best when he moved on. Still, there is no comparison between him and Chiasson, and that is all you have at the NHL level now.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12918
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Re: Revisit the Trade: Spezza to Dallas

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:48 pm

I think we could of gotten a much better value for spezza but ultimately he controlled his destiny and nixed an other trade. It all comes down to gagné and Paul. Even Paul, I'm not sure will ever be more than a third liner. Tempered expectations.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:11 pm

I don't look at anything we got in return for him. His value was limited and we needed to move on.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47669
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:57 pm

We were going to lose any trade. At least we didn't have to absorb a large salary coming back so we got some budgetary relief.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:58 pm

Added bonus: no more "Save Spezza" rallies.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12918
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:43 pm

The part that will be forgotten in this trade going forward is that culture that departed when he left this team. The coasting mentality isn't well regarded in this team. Even though the effort seems to be lacking on half the night this season I don't think it's a question of culture within the org. It comes down to having a sub par defence and following on the game plan.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:28 am

The time had come to move Spezza, and Murray's hands were somewhat tied. At the time, Chiasson was much more highly regarded than he obviously is now. Chiasson had 35 points in his rookie season with Dallas. Paul and Gagne are still decent prospects at this point, so the true winner of this trade is yet-to-be-determined.

Spezza is aging and is an on-going injury concern. He pretty much had to be moved at the time. I think it was a good trade for both teams.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1853
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:48 am

Considering Spezza was not going to resign in Ottawa, I would rather have some return for him rather than let him play last year and lose him for nothing.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:23 am

tim1_2 wrote:Chiasson had 35 points in his rookie season with Dallas.

Chiasson had 13 goals in his first full season, then followed it up with 11 in Ottawa (in 76 games vs. 79 in Dallas). Considering he had to move to a different country I think a 2-goal drop is not unexpected as an adjustment. The main difference was quality of linemates. Put him on the top line and he'll get 10-15 goals and 15-25 assists. But when you see a big body like that and (seemingly) little effort you don't want to reward that with top-six ice time. When you struggle to score you need to do something else, and Chiasson has done very little of that. This season he's mostly played on Pageau's line but he's really struggled for some reason. He's on an arbitrator-awarded contract and the way it's going he'll be lucky to be playing for league minimum next year.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:24 am

Oglethorpe wrote:Considering Spezza was not going to resign in Ottawa, I would rather have some return for him rather than let him play last year and lose him for nothing.

We lost Chara for nothing. Actually it was worse than nothing, it was for Redden @ $6M.

dennycrane
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2121
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Post by dennycrane on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:56 am

True he would not resign and frankly the team looks kind of the same with or without him. Inconsistent play and poor overall team defence has been this franchise's calling card for the last 5 years.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:38 pm

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Chiasson had 35 points in his rookie season with Dallas.

Chiasson had 13 goals in his first full season, then followed it up with 11 in Ottawa (in 76 games vs. 79 in Dallas).  Considering he had to move to a different country I think a 2-goal drop is not unexpected as an adjustment.  The main difference was quality of linemates.  Put him on the top line and he'll get 10-15 goals and 15-25 assists.  But when you see a big body like that and (seemingly) little effort you don't want to reward that with top-six ice time.  When you struggle to score you need to do something else, and Chiasson has done very little of that.  This season he's mostly played on Pageau's line but he's really struggled for some reason.  He's on an arbitrator-awarded contract and the way it's going he'll be lucky to be playing for league minimum next year.

Pageau has 11 goals or something ilke that this year, so there's not much excuse for Chiasson to not have more...especially since he's had a bunch of PP time this year.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:22 pm

Like I said, I don't know what's going on with him this year. I was only making excuses for his first year here.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:02 am