tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16332
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: GAME DAY #52: Oilers @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Thursday, Feb 4 2016

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:19 am

*fart noises*

I get the feeling that the finish to this season won't be as enjoyable as last season.

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:12 am

PK was 0% last night again.
    I don't care what the stats say, Ceci is not a top 4 right now. Not blaming our PK entirely on him as Anderson hasn't been good either but he hasn't made a big defensive play in a loooong time. I don't see Methot making the same kind of mistake.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47966
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:49 am

tim1_2 wrote:*fart noises*

I get the feeling that the finish to this season won't be as enjoyable as last season.

Ultimately, though, the finish last season sucked.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:04 pm

LeCaptain wrote:PK was 0% last night again.
    I don't care what the stats say, Ceci is not a top 4 right now. Not blaming our PK entirely on him as Anderson hasn't been good either but he hasn't made a big defensive play in a loooong time. I don't see Methot making the same kind of mistake.

I don't understand why Boro/Ceci was our top PK unit. You're right, Ceci wasn't good on the PK. But he was fine there 2 years ago. Who was he paired with back then?

I can't upload from work now but take a look at that first PP goal. True, Ceci is in the crease and not covering anyone, but Boro isn't covering anyone either! McDavid has the puck on the goal line about 6 feet to the left of the crease. Ceci is just beyond the top of the crease and standing directly between McDavid and Eberle. He can't really move to one or the other, he's caught it no-man's land and his only hope is to block the pass. But the reason he's in that predicament is that Boro is in the faceoff circle! He's been standing there for quite a while. When Pouliot comes up from the side of the net and switches places with McDavid, Boro taps McDavid on the but as he goes behind him, but it takes him a second to realize that maybe he should be sticking with him. By the time he finally makes his move McDavid has the puck and is passing it to Eberle.

I don't think Ceci was in the wrong place. I think Borowiecki had a brain cramp.

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:48 pm

I thought boro, ceci, and even karlsson were bad last night.

Craig button said a very correct thing last night after the game. He showed clips of karlsson just dogging it and giving half-hearted efforts in defensive play, and that rubs off on the rest of the group when even your captain isn't committing to defence.

He might be right.....
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16332
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Michallica wrote:I thought boro, ceci, and even karlsson were bad last night.

Craig button said a very correct thing last night after the game. He showed clips of karlsson just dogging it and giving half-hearted efforts in defensive play, and that rubs off on the rest of the group when even your captain isn't committing to defence.

He might be right.....

I think Karlsson plays too much, and this results in him thinking he needs to conserve energy.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:21 pm

Michallica wrote:I thought boro, ceci, and even karlsson were bad last night.

He might be right.....

He's played like 500 mins more than the 2nd highest TOI on the team this year.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:42 pm

Play him less then. Stop making him play the full 2mins on a PP. I'm not disagreeing with his effort, I'm agreeing that the rest of his team mates aren't committing to defence cuz they feel he doesn't either.

EDIT: I'm just frustrated, the guy needs help and I don't know what it is with our core players but it can't always be the coach's fault
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13130
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:14 pm

I don't even know what to say. Between the injuries and Murray sitting on his thumbs this team can't even turn in a good game. I wonder how realistic it is to think about Mathews. I want Dorion to head the team going into the draft.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Flo The Action wrote:I don't even know what to say. Between the injuries and Murray sitting on his thumbs this team can't even turn in a good game. I wonder how realistic it is to think about Mathews. I want Dorion to head the team going into the draft.

Murray mentioned yesterday during the intermission that he needs to speak with his doctors and then decide. I can't imagine any doctor recommending to continue working when you're going through cancer treatment but I could be wrong. Besides that, i hope Murray sees that it's time to step away. He's been talking about retiring for a good 3-4 years, and it's as good a time as any now to step back from the GM's role.

I would be shocked if Dorion isn't announced as the new GM by the end of the season. I don't see an outsider coming in.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13130
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Michallica wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:I don't even know what to say. Between the injuries and Murray sitting on his thumbs this team can't even turn in a good game. I wonder how realistic it is to think about Mathews. I want Dorion to head the team going into the draft.

Murray mentioned yesterday during the intermission that he needs to speak with his doctors and then decide. I can't imagine any doctor recommending to continue working when you're going through cancer treatment but I could be wrong. Besides that, i hope Murray sees that it's time to step away. He's been talking about retiring for a good 3-4 years, and it's as good a time as any now to step back from the GM's role.

I would be shocked if Dorion isn't announced as the new GM by the end of the season. I don't see an outsider coming in.

Yeah Melnyk mentioned that Murray had a succetion plan already set up so its pretty straight forward what will happen next. Murray can just become an advisor, it's not like he has to step away completely but things are pretty clear that he's not getting the job done. I wonder what the phiophy will be once he moves on. You have Dorion to thank for the draft but how much of those choices were 100% Dorion or were there moves Dorion would of made that BM nixed?
    I don't mind Dorion stepping in to be honest. I imagine he'll want to adress issues of weakness.

I'll always be greatful for some of what Murray has done but it's time to move on. He's a good builder but never proven finisher. Now please don't extend Neil before you walk away!
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:00 am

Michallica wrote:Play him less then. Stop making him play the full 2mins on a PP. I'm not disagreeing with his effort, I'm agreeing that the rest of his team mates aren't committing to defence cuz they feel he doesn't either.!

EDIT: I'm just frustrated, the guy needs help and I don't know what it is with our core players but it can't always be the coach's fault

We just all miss Spezza's wide shoulders to place all the blame.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:18 am