Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Re: Game Day #56: Avalanche @ Senators - 7:30PM, Thurs Feb 11 2016

Post by Ev on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:11 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    Oglethorpe wrote:On another note I am ready to give Hoffman 25M of Eugene's money fo the next 5 years.  Offer him 4M per for 5, he counters with 6M and we settle at 5M per.  
    Yeah im hoping that's what happens. Could even go 5.5. Need to keep him around. His speed is great out there.

I'd be willing to offer him for drouin if he wants more than five

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24754
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:27 am

Oglethorpe wrote:On another note I am ready to give Hoffman 25M of Eugene's money fo the next 5 years.  Offer him 4M per for 5, he counters with 6M and we settle at 5M per.  

Very generous of you.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12923
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:54 am

Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    Yeah im hoping that's what happens. Could even go 5.5. Need to keep him around. His speed is great out there.

I'd be willing to offer him for drouin if he wants more than five
    No you wouldn't.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1853
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:58 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Very generous of you.

Cheers
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:17 am

Signing Hoffman is going to be a nightmare, due in no small part to the silly arbitration award he got. Murray even said himself that if Hoff kept scoring like last year, they'd pay him.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47671
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:01 am

So, are they done yet? 5/6 points behind the two wildcard teams, each of whom have 3 games in hand. Both those teams are above .500 so those 3 games in hand are likely 4 points or more. So, more realistically, they are 10 points out.

26 games to go. If they went 18-6-2 that would give them 94 points. I think that's about as close as I can get to "remotely possible" with this team (i.e. winning 2 out of every 3 games). There's absolutely nothing that they have shown all season that would suggest they could go on such a run.

Now, here's a bit of optimism. In the two games with Phaneuf in the lineup they gave up 29 shots to Detroit (a team that's playing pretty well) and 27 to Colorado. Getting under 30 shots on goal a game is a step forward, for sure. It's just 2 games, but it could turn into a trend.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:16 am

tim1_2 wrote:That goal's on Chiasson. Brutal change.

Agree it was a brutal change, but that shot from Zibanejad is what caused it. Chiasson was done and was heading off after the rush, he didn't have any gas to chase. ZBad should have either passed it or shot it short-side. The way he shot it it ricocheted around and out of the zone before Chiasson could turn around.

But would have been nice if Hammond could make a couple of big saves. He is brutal on powerplays for some reason. He has given up more than 35% of the team's total goals on the PK (and has 22% of the total TOI). Looking at goalies with 10 or more starts, Hammond is *dead-last* in PPSV% (.754). Only one other goalie (Hiller) is below .800. In fact I have to include goalies with just 1 start to find any with a worse PPSV% than Hammond (Saros who faced 6 PP shots and let in 2, and Will, who surrendered a goal on the only PP shot he faced).

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:49 am

wprager wrote: There's absolutely nothing that they have shown all season that would suggest they could go on such a run.  

This is what we said last season and then the impossible happened. I'm not gonna write them off yet, but it is certainly a longshot to make the playoffs at this point, especially considering how well some of the teams are playing that are battling for those wildcard spots.

As for your other post about Hammond, I am going to refuse to discuss goaltending with you since you aren't happy unless the goalie gets a shutout, and even then you will likely say it was an "easy" shutout.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:34 am

Weed to get a "Condra" and the wins will come.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:51 am

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote: There's absolutely nothing that they have shown all season that would suggest they could go on such a run.  

This is what we said last season and then the impossible happened.  I'm not gonna write them off yet, but it is certainly a longshot to make the playoffs at this point, especially considering how well some of the teams are playing that are battling for those wildcard spots.  

As for your other post about Hammond, I am going to refuse to discuss goaltending with you since you aren't happy unless the goalie gets a shutout, and even then you will likely say it was an "easy" shutout.  

I don't think any discussion is necessary. He gave up 3 goals, they scored 3. They had a chance to win. But there's no denying that you need the goalie to make a couple big saves. The one on McKinnon was a stoppable puck.

Reffing was ridiculous again. Wiercioch clears the puck and his stick is up on the followthrough. Iginla then drives into him (borderline interference because he no-longer had the puck) and pushes Wier's stick into whats-his-name's cheek. And somehow that's a 4 minute penalty to Borowiecki, whose stick is up against the boards as he's facing away from the play. That's just a bad call all around. Shouldn't have been a penalty in the first place (follow-through, late hit, not responsible for someone else's actions with your stick), have to be blind to somehow give it to Boro (who is one of our PK guys). And the other call on Wiercioch, which he truly deserved, also had Duchene holding on to Wier's stick; should have been coincidental minors.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:05 am

if somebody wouldn't trade Hoffman for Drouin they are out of their minds. You'd get an equal talent at a much lesser cost
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:23 am

Ev wrote:if somebody wouldn't trade Hoffman for Drouin they are out of their minds. You'd get an equal talent at a much lesser cost

Talent is only one part of the formula. It's an important part but it's by no means the most important. So far Hoffman has shown that he both has the talent and the drive. He's got elite level speed and shot and I think he's improving on his playmaking skills, too. Drouin has shown very little at the pro level.

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:26 am

Ev wrote:if somebody wouldn't trade Hoffman for Drouin they are out of their minds. You'd get an equal talent at a much lesser cost

I'd rather trade Zibanejad.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1853
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:16 pm

Hoffman is a more talented goal scorer than Drouin. Drouin may wind up getting higher point totals, but goal scoring is a talent that is hard to find. Hoffman all day for me.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:22 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:I felt like Duchene had a great game.

Nice to see the Duche have a great game against the sens.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:25 pm

tim1_2 wrote:

This is what we said last season and then the impossible happened.  I'm not gonna write them off yet, but it is certainly a longshot to make the playoffs at this point, especially considering how well some of the teams are playing that are battling for those wildcard spots.  

They're done and I think the players can sense it as well from post-game comments. They're well aware that the deficit is more or less 10 points once those games in hand are all used up.

I know I know, last season was what it was. There's just no way it happens twice in a row. Sens are what they are: Mediocre. You can't expect a team with the worst PK in the league to make the playoffs. It just won't ever happen.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12923
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:40 pm

I find it amusing that all this time we are debating Hoffman's character while he's shown that he continuously produces and has shown a good level of effort and all this came from supposedly Zib which is the one that may have all the flaws that are attributing to Hoff.

It might be time to rethink those assumptions.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:48 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:
    Hoffman is a more talented goal scorer than Drouin.  Drouin may wind up getting higher point totals, but goal scoring is a talent that is hard to find.  Hoffman all day for me.

What people have to keep in mind here is our ability to retain Hoffman. I've said all along that I think Hoffman is a "difficult" personality and may hold the arbitration award against the Sens until the end of time. His utilization by the coach is another potential issue (especially if he is off PP1 in favour of Phaneuf). If Murray believes that Hoffman is going to be very difficult to retain long-term, then trade him now when his value is very high (he's still a RFA after this season). If he takes another short-term contract, you can bet your Donkey he's heading for free agency, full speed ahead.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:30 pm