Game Day #56: Avalanche @ Senators - 7:30PM, Thurs Feb 11 2016

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13116
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Re: Game Day #56: Avalanche @ Senators - 7:30PM, Thurs Feb 11 2016

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:35 pm

Michallica wrote:Yeah I'm starting to feel like we need to show more commitment on becoming contenders, otherwise Karlsson will bolt.  Why wouldn't he?  By the time he reaches UFA, he would have played 10 solid seasons for the sens.  Doesn't owe them anything more.  

Chicago will still be competitive and little Sweden has already once stolen one of our captains before.  
    I agree. The time to commit to being contenders is now. I'm all for acquiring Drouin but not at the expense of Hoffman (baring looking him) we need both those players. IMO Drouin isn't far off from being a player so I'm all for it. But the cost shouldn't really hurt us.
    The pipeline is ok, it's time to move some 1st at the draft for upgrades(as long as we don't win the lottery for the top 3 spots) and get ready to compete for next year.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:45 pm

The one thing that I hope changes is the Canadian dollar. It usually goes on a 5-10 year cyclical period so we might be hitting a high Ina few years when a lot of the contracts come up for renewal. A large increase in the cap over that period of time would probably go a long way to helping us face some of those difficulties.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16325
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:54 pm

You can't argue that Droin is going to be good, but shouldn't cost us much at the same time. Yeesh.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1861
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:19 pm

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:We're still a very young team with a big window to be competitive (ignoring the goaltending situation), so it wouldn't be crazy to bring in another 20 year old.  Scenarios like the Drouin situation don't come along very often, so you have to consider it no matter where your team is at.

I assume if Murray is going to trade The Hoff, he'll get shopped around a bit first to see what offers are out there...it would be tough to top the temptation of bringing in Drouin.

Drouin could well be another Filatov.  He has done absolutely nothing but pout.

And we keep saying how young we are, but Karlsson is in his 8th season next year.   In three years' time we will be wondering if he will re-sign here or go elsewhere.  If, in three years, we haven't progressed to a point where we are a strong contender for the Cup, he may do The Alfie and "probably not" his way out of town.  This year it looks like we've take a step backward instead of forward.  We lost Cowen and probably Wiercioch, Zibanejad appears to have plateaued, Stone hit a sophomore slump, Methot had another injury scare, MacArthur may never play like he did before.

We have upgraded our 2nd pairing by getting Phaneuf but the expectation coming into this season was that Cowen or Wiercioch would have been doing that same job, and at half the cap hit.  So, yes, we got better, but we were already expecting that to happen and for less.  

We have shed some contracts (and will lose Phillips/Neil) so that gives us flexibility.  What we do in the off-season will be vital.  If we don't show a steady improvement next year and the year after that we may be losing Karlsson and then a full on rebuild.
    Phaneuf makes 2.5 more than Cowen next year, and Wiercioch will make 2.9M minimum. I'll take Dion over those two anyway and save money doing it.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1861
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:21 pm

tim1_2 wrote:You can't argue that Droin is going to be good, but shouldn't cost us much at the same time. Yeesh.
    I think he's a second line winger once he gets going. On the other hand I know Hoff is at least a second line winger.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:04 pm

tim1_2 wrote:You can't argue that Droin is going to be good, but shouldn't cost us much at the same time. Yeesh.

LOL says who? Nothing's a guarantee and if I'm Bmurr I'd be arguing the same point that we don't know if Drouin will be good or not. Based on draft year, there were high hopes but since then value has to have dropped. You can't always just go on 'potential'.

Like I said in one of the other threads, stevie Y can go Diddle himself with his trade demands. He's not going to be bending over another GM, and after the Bishop trade, if I'm Bmurr I'm extra careful to not give up any significant piece.

Media has been blowing it out of proportion that Drouin is some type of saviour or will be an offensive juggernaut. Quite clearly the kid hasn't been able to put things together and that's why he got demoted.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47948
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 pm

Heard that Yzerman is a bit gun-shy about another Turris type deal, where Arizona go next to nothing and Turris turned into a 1LC. Sorry, bud, but you turned a flash-in-the pan into a Vezina finalist goalie, so you win some, you lose some. That's just the way this world works.

P.S. Anyone see that screencap of someone trying that Phaneuf trade in "Be a GM" mode? The trade was not allowed!

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:17 am

Michallica wrote:

LOL says who?  Nothing's a guarantee and if I'm Bmurr I'd be arguing the same point that we don't know if Drouin will be good or not.  Based on draft year, there were high hopes but since then value has to have dropped.  You can't always just go on 'potential'.  

Like I said in one of the other threads, stevie Y can go Diddle himself with his trade demands.  He's not going to be bending over another GM, and after the Bishop trade, if I'm Bmurr I'm extra careful to not give up any significant piece.

Media has been blowing it out of proportion that Drouin is some type of saviour or will be an offensive juggernaut.  Quite clearly the kid hasn't been able to put things together and that's why he got demoted.

I don't think he will cost very much. Again, Yzerman waited too long. Potential cost: "Sugar" Shane Prince, Patty Wiercioch and a 5th round pick.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:11 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Michallica wrote:

LOL says who?  Nothing's a guarantee and if I'm Bmurr I'd be arguing the same point that we don't know if Drouin will be good or not.  Based on draft year, there were high hopes but since then value has to have dropped.  You can't always just go on 'potential'.  

Like I said in one of the other threads, stevie Y can go Diddle himself with his trade demands.  He's not going to be bending over another GM, and after the Bishop trade, if I'm Bmurr I'm extra careful to not give up any significant piece.

Media has been blowing it out of proportion that Drouin is some type of saviour or will be an offensive juggernaut.  Quite clearly the kid hasn't been able to put things together and that's why he got demoted.

I don't think he will cost very much. Again, Yzerman waited too long. Potential cost: "Sugar" Shane Prince, Patty Wiercioch and a 5th round pick.
    if thats all that It comes down to im sure He'd be a sens right now.
    That's why I think this might drag on. To many teams have backed out. Might as well wait till the summer.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54417
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:49 am

Id ask for Dzingel, 2017 1st and wier
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:23 pm

Meh, who am i kidding, who cares about wier.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:59 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:Meh, who am i kidding, who cares about wier.
    Exactly. Same for dzingel. Could be a good player but a player they probably have in their system.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:26 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    Exactly. Same for dzingel. Could be a good player but a player they probably have in their system.

They watch pretty close - and if they're watching, they know what most of us know:  Dzingel is a player to watch.  He has the skating, the puck handing skills, he's a tenacious little hound.  People might laugh away from sites like this, but I think he can be a top 6 player - and a 20 goal guy going forward.

I see it, I see it I tell ya!  Ahhhhh!

A MUCH better prospect than Lindberg IMO.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:42 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

They watch pretty close - and if they're watching, they know what most of us know:  Dzingel is a player to watch.  He has the skating, the puck handing skills, he's a tenacious little hound.  People might laugh away from sites like this, but I think he can be a top 6 player - and a 20 goal guy going forward.

ya think? i dunno about that. take it easy on the pipe man
    smokeweedeveryday
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

ya think? i dunno about that. take it easy on the pipe man
    smokeweedeveryday

Why do you say that? I like lindberg a lot, but i think dzingel's upside is higher.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:28 am