Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1853
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Re: Deadline moves.

Post by Oglethorpe on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:09 pm

TheAvatar wrote:
    spader wrote:The idea was that they traded an NHL player for a 3rd, which is unlikely to become an NHL player. He's saying we sold too low.

I guess we'll see.  The Isle have him doing drills on their first line! with Tavares and Strome ... we'll find out what young Mr. Prince is made of pretty quickly Smile
    He will put up points with them but so did Matt Moulson. Won't make him a true top 6 forward, it used to be called the Mario effect.

TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by TheAvatar on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:23 pm

Moulson's having a tough year this year but he got > 40 points last year

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47671

Post by wprager on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    you went back too far. You should of only evaluated it under the Murray leadership since that is under this regime.

Murray took over just before the 2007 draft.  Assuming 3rd rounders take 4+ years that means 2008 (Smith), 2009 (nobody), 2010 (Culek), 2011 (nobody).  Really pushing it to 2012 you add Driedger and Maidens.  So Smith and Driedger.  While you know I love reminding every one that Driedger has a career NHL SV% of .000 his .903 in the AHL is OK but not earth shattering.  Too early to decide on Driedger so that leaves Smith out of two picks, and if you throw in Maidens (who definitely didn't turn out) that, again, leaves you with 1 out of 3 picks.  

The numbers stand.
    I believe history will tell a different story. To be continued...

To be continued when? And exactly what are the parameters here? Are you saying evaluate all of Murray's third rounders at year N+4 (or later) to determine what percentage turns into NHLers?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:32 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    you went back too far. You should of only evaluated it under the Murray leadership since that is under this regime.

Murray took over just before the 2007 draft.  Assuming 3rd rounders take 4+ years that means 2008 (Smith), 2009 (nobody), 2010 (Culek), 2011 (nobody).  Really pushing it to 2012 you add Driedger and Maidens.  So Smith and Driedger.  While you know I love reminding every one that Driedger has a career NHL SV% of .000 his .903 in the AHL is OK but not earth shattering.  Too early to decide on Driedger so that leaves Smith out of two picks, and if you throw in Maidens (who definitely didn't turn out) that, again, leaves you with 1 out of 3 picks.  

The numbers stand.

What was your point again, I genuinely forgot.  

Point was that less than a third of 3rd round picks ever turn into NHL players, whereas Prince already is there. In my opinion he was at the very least a third liner. Capuano seems to disagree as he's putting him out there with Tavares. Good luck keeping up.

Regardless. Prince, by even suiting up for a bunch of games and scoring a few points, has already gone way further than half of the third rounders. Sure, sometimes lightning strikes, but the odds of that are very low. Odds are 50/50 that after spending 4-5 years developing that third round pick he will end up not playing anywhere. Meanwhile Prince was contributing at $700K right now.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:33 pm

spader wrote:The idea was that they traded an NHL player for a 3rd, which is unlikely to become an NHL player. He's saying we sold too low.

Actually, not exactly. I'm saying there didn't need to be a sale at all.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:35 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:Thanks, I remember now.  I'd rather have a 3rd pick than keep a fringe NHL who doesn't have top 6 potential.  I'll keep drafting hoping to find a gem when I can replace a guy like Prince with any other prospect or cheap veteran UFA.   Now if you think Prince has top 6 potential then keep him, but has nowhere near top 6 potential IMO.

Costs a lot of time and money to develop a 3rd rounder. You don't pick in the third round expecting top-six talent. Not in a 30 team league, anyway. You can always hope, of course, but it's like buying a lottery ticket.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:36 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:
    TheAvatar wrote:

I guess we'll see.  The Isle have him doing drills on their first line! with Tavares and Strome ... we'll find out what young Mr. Prince is made of pretty quickly Smile
    He will put up points with them but so did Matt Moulson.  Won't make him a true top 6 forward, it used to be called the Mario effect.

If he puts up points and then they end up moving him for, say, a late 2nd rounder or an earlier 3rd rounder then that's good asset management. And they'd still have a 7th for the swing-for-the-fences pick.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:43 pm

Good for Prince. We'll see what happens. He never got much of an opportunity here with high-end talent.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24754
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:17 pm

The PrinceTh Sens will blog extensively on the travails of "Sugar" Shane Prince.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1853
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:46 pm

wprager wrote:
    Oglethorpe wrote:
    TheAvatar wrote:

He will put up points with them but so did Matt Moulson.  Won't make him a true top 6 forward, it used to be called the Mario effect.

If he puts up points and then they end up moving him for, say, a late 2nd rounder or an earlier 3rd rounder then that's good asset management.  And they'd still have a 7th for the swing-for-the-fences pick.
    If they re-sign him it will be a one-way and he takes a roster spot or you lose him on waivers possibly. That might be bad asset management

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:13 pm