GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Share

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:11 pm

    spader wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:That's true, it was him who made that tying goal happen.

    I realize you're talking about Ryan, but I also want to point out that when I saw the highlight of that last goal, Hoffman was buzzing around the net and may well have created space for JGP.

    That too. Hoffman was flying towards the end - credit to him.

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48302
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by wprager on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:12 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Don't forget it was this time last year that Ryan totally vanished.  Let's hope this isn't a theme.  1G in in the last 11 games, and 3 points during that stretch just isn't good enough when the team is desperate.  Sorry.

    I don't really care when a player scores or goes on a slump. The games when he was scoring at a 70 point pace were just as important as these ones.

    He and others are gonna have a slump, we can't choose when it happens. Most of it is due to luck.

    He's still a consistent guy and our first or second best scoring forward.

    The timing of the slump does matter if it's the same time every year...And maybe this is just a blip on the radar of this season and he comes out of it in the next game or two, but I just found it odd that this is when he entered his slump last year too.  

    He was playing with a broken finger and couldn't shoot last year. I still also think he was injured beside the finger but would not admit to it.

    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21012
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by Ev on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:13 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Don't forget it was this time last year that Ryan totally vanished.  Let's hope this isn't a theme.  1G in in the last 11 games, and 3 points during that stretch just isn't good enough when the team is desperate.  Sorry.

    I don't really care when a player scores or goes on a slump. The games when he was scoring at a 70 point pace were just as important as these ones.

    He and others are gonna have a slump, we can't choose when it happens. Most of it is due to luck.

    He's still a consistent guy and our first or second best scoring forward.

    The timing of the slump does matter if it's the same time every year...And maybe this is just a blip on the radar of this season and he comes out of it in the next game or two, but I just found it odd that this is when he entered his slump last year too.  

    but it doesn't really if the pre-slump play was extremely good. Nobody but the elites are going to keep it up all year.

    but he has two points in the last three games so he is already doing better than last year
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16493
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by tim1_2 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:19 pm

    Ev wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Don't forget it was this time last year that Ryan totally vanished.  Let's hope this isn't a theme.  1G in in the last 11 games, and 3 points during that stretch just isn't good enough when the team is desperate.  Sorry.

    I don't really care when a player scores or goes on a slump. The games when he was scoring at a 70 point pace were just as important as these ones.

    He and others are gonna have a slump, we can't choose when it happens. Most of it is due to luck.

    He's still a consistent guy and our first or second best scoring forward.

    The timing of the slump does matter if it's the same time every year...And maybe this is just a blip on the radar of this season and he comes out of it in the next game or two, but I just found it odd that this is when he entered his slump last year too.  

    but it doesn't really if the pre-slump play was extremely good. Nobody but the elites are going to keep it up all year.

    but he has two points in the last three games so he is already doing better than last year

    Yep. Let's hope he keeps it up.
    avatar
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 8461
    Age : 32
    Location : Orange County, CA
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:18 pm

    Let's not be so stats focused. Great, he's got 2 points in 3 games but he's looked utterly useless for the most part. I'm afraid the points he got recently are the actual 'blip' and he's going to revert back to his pointless streak.

    God I hope he proves me wrong. This team is going no where without Hoffman, Ryan. OH and Karlsson hasn't looked great either.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21012
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by Ev on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:47 pm

    Without Hoffman? I disagree. I think we're fine without him in the long term. Our team is going to be two-way oriented with the likes of Pageau, Stone, Ryan, Turris, White, MacArthur, Zibanejad
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:46 pm

    You always need top end skill though. I'm really conflicted regarding Hoffman
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13351
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by Flo The Action on Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:57 pm

    SpezDispensed wrote:You always need top end skill though.   I'm really conflicted regarding Hoffman

    he's a polarizing figure it seems for many fans.
    some can't overcome the flaws in his game while other recognize the positives as hard to find in the NHL.


    personally i question how easy is it to find a guy that can snipe 25+ a year. sure he's not perfect but he's playing with players that can help him be better and yes, to an extend, cover up his mistakes.
    i also do see flashes in his game where he is trying to change his game and be more responsible. it's like he's stuck in the middle, playing in a way that makes him a goal scorer at lower-levels but can prove to be difficult in the NHL because mistakes don't go unpunished and be a more responsible guy. i don't think he's done growing.
    IMO you keep a guy like that.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:20 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:You always need top end skill though.   I'm really conflicted regarding Hoffman

    he's a polarizing figure it seems for many fans.
    some can't overcome the flaws in his game while other recognize the positives as hard to find in the NHL.


    personally i question how easy is it to find a guy that can snipe 25+ a year. sure he's not perfect but he's playing with players that can help him be better and yes, to an extend, cover up his mistakes.
    i also do see flashes in his game where he is trying to change his game and be more responsible. it's like he's stuck in the middle, playing in a way that makes him a goal scorer at lower-levels but can prove to be difficult in the NHL because mistakes don't go unpunished and be a more responsible guy. i don't think he's done growing.
    IMO you keep a guy like that.

    I think you do, yeah. But what's he worth? What if it's an elite C? Or Brodin?
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13351
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by Flo The Action on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:24 pm

    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:You always need top end skill though.   I'm really conflicted regarding Hoffman

    he's a polarizing figure it seems for many fans.
    some can't overcome the flaws in his game while other recognize the positives as hard to find in the NHL.


    personally i question how easy is it to find a guy that can snipe 25+ a year. sure he's not perfect but he's playing with players that can help him be better and yes, to an extend, cover up his mistakes.
    i also do see flashes in his game where he is trying to change his game and be more responsible. it's like he's stuck in the middle, playing in a way that makes him a goal scorer at lower-levels but can prove to be difficult in the NHL because mistakes don't go unpunished and be a more responsible guy. i don't think he's done growing.
    IMO you keep a guy like that.

    I think you do, yeah.  But what's he worth?  What if it's an elite C?  Or Brodin?
    This is an obsession with D eh? We got Phaneuf! Now you improve on The LW and center position.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48302
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by wprager on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:25 pm

    We've got all these terrific, defensively responsible players like Stone, Pageau, Phaneuf, Methot, Zibanejad, Smith, Ryan. And Karlsson spends so much time on the attack that he's got the best CORSI on the team even if people don't think he plays defense. Yet we consistently give up 30+ or more shots. It can't be all on guys like Hoffman, Prince. And we're doing this even without Turris (who is minus infinity since December 5).

    So WTF???! Could it be rebound control? Positioning in the defensive zone? Plain old lack of desire to be first on the puck?


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:26 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:You always need top end skill though.   I'm really conflicted regarding Hoffman

    he's a polarizing figure it seems for many fans.
    some can't overcome the flaws in his game while other recognize the positives as hard to find in the NHL.


    personally i question how easy is it to find a guy that can snipe 25+ a year. sure he's not perfect but he's playing with players that can help him be better and yes, to an extend, cover up his mistakes.
    i also do see flashes in his game where he is trying to change his game and be more responsible. it's like he's stuck in the middle, playing in a way that makes him a goal scorer at lower-levels but can prove to be difficult in the NHL because mistakes don't go unpunished and be a more responsible guy. i don't think he's done growing.
    IMO you keep a guy like that.

    I think you do, yeah.  But what's he worth?  What if it's an elite C?  Or Brodin?
    This is an obsession with D eh? We got Phaneuf! Now you improve on The LW and center position.

    Brodin is good though , really good, but yeah the C position is where it's at.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13351
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by Flo The Action on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:29 pm

    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:You always need top end skill though.   I'm really conflicted regarding Hoffman

    he's a polarizing figure it seems for many fans.
    some can't overcome the flaws in his game while other recognize the positives as hard to find in the NHL.


    personally i question how easy is it to find a guy that can snipe 25+ a year. sure he's not perfect but he's playing with players that can help him be better and yes, to an extend, cover up his mistakes.
    i also do see flashes in his game where he is trying to change his game and be more responsible. it's like he's stuck in the middle, playing in a way that makes him a goal scorer at lower-levels but can prove to be difficult in the NHL because mistakes don't go unpunished and be a more responsible guy. i don't think he's done growing.
    IMO you keep a guy like that.

    I think you do, yeah.  But what's he worth?  What if it's an elite C?  Or Brodin?
    This is an obsession with D eh? We got Phaneuf! Now you improve on The LW and center position.

    Brodin is good though , really good,  but yeah the C position is where it's at.
    So i would imagine you would move ceci down and let Phaneuf plat on his offside?

    I get It. But then what do We have on The left wing? Nothing. No one. Mac is no guarantee to come back. And we are still thin at the center position.but you likely increased the cap hit to your org. I don't see it.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:36 pm

    wprager wrote:We've got all these terrific, defensively responsible players like Stone, Pageau, Phaneuf, Methot, Zibanejad, Smith, Ryan.  And Karlsson spends so much time on the attack that he's got the best CORSI on the team even if people don't think he plays defense.  Yet we consistently give up 30+ or more shots.  It can't be all on guys like Hoffman, Prince.  And we're doing this even without Turris (who is minus infinity since December 5).  

    So WTF???!  Could it be rebound control?  Positioning in the defensive zone? Plain old lack of desire to be first on the puck?

    Losing puck battles and passing isn't great from half the team, but yeah, this is the big question

    Sponsored content

    Re: GAME DAY #64: Blues @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, Mar 1, 2016

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:34 pm