2016 NHL Draft Discussion

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13130
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Re: 2016 NHL Draft Discussion

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:23 am

Ev wrote:Brown is legit top six with hockey sense and great skating. He will be a good player.

Seems like I'm not the only one that's not high on Brown
    http://the6thsens.com/2016-articles/senators-re-sign-alfie-as-sr-advisor-of-hockey-ops.html

Not a big fan on 6th sens as he goes in and on about analytics way too much but I do think some of his opinions are valid.

Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1861
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:43 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    Ev wrote:Brown is legit top six with hockey sense and great skating. He will be a good player.

http://the6thsens.com/2016-articles/senators-re-sign-alfie-as-sr-advisor-of-hockey-ops.html

Not a big fan on 6th sens as he goes in and on about analytics way too much but I do think some of his opinions are valid.
    The 6th Sens opinion of Brown sounds like someone who has never watched him play a single game.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47966
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:47 am

The kid is 6'6" at 18. Big players typically take longer to hit their stride. He increased his goals from his 1st year to the 2nd and doubled his assist totals. I know it's just 2 points on the graph, but isn't that the point?

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1953
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:52 am

A lot of mock drafts have him going to Calgary
    dennycrane
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2121
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Post by dennycrane on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:55 am

12th Overall Picks:
    Too soon to know the impact of recent selections at #12 but it is an impressive list over the past several years. A lot of D who slid down the draft and worked out well.

'07 - Ryan McDonough
    '08 - Tyler Myers
    '09 - Calvin de Haan
    '10 - Cam Fowler
    '11 - Ryan Murphy
    '12 - Mikhail Grigorenko
    '13 - Max Domi
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54437
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:21 am

Yeah, this is an interesting place to pick for the reasons you stated. A lot of sliders get selected right around 12.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:30 am

Oglethorpe wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

The 6th Sens opinion of Brown sounds like someone who has never watched him play a single game.

Why watch when you have analytics?!
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20866
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:41 am

Flo The Action wrote:

lets be honest, you and I and anybody else shouldn't be high or low on guys we know nothing about and haven't watched played. I watched Brown like two times. I am not well informed. Nobody here should be giving strong opinions about any of these guys except the top three maybe.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:26 am

Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

lets be honest, you and I and anybody else shouldn't be high or low on guys we know nothing about and haven't watched played. I watched Brown like two times. I am not well informed. Nobody here should be giving strong opinions about any of these guys except the top three maybe.

You don't have to have an opinion on 6'6". That's a fact. All the other stuff (skill/heart), that's what analysts are for (and 6thSens is *not* one).

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54437
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:40 am

I want Chychrun, Yost or the Russian D-man - so...it's pretty much settled that we select none of the above.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:54 am

Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

Fair enough point since none of us are scouts. But it's more than acceptable to have our own preferences about what we read from different rating and scouting sources.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:57 am

wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

You don't have to have an opinion on 6'6". That's a fact. All the other stuff (skill/heart), that's what analysts are for (and 6thSens is *not* one).
    he may not be one but I imagine he's probably read the same info I have and is reluctant to say how offensively gifted will the player be. 6.6 isn't a measure of success in the NHL. It helps but it doesn't guarantee you a winner.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:58 am

SpezDispensed wrote:I want Chychrun, Yost or the Russian D-man - so...it's pretty much settled that we select none of the above.
    Hahaha.
    You might be right about the Russian. But the other two are good possibilities I would say.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:15 pm

Ev wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

This is fair, however, fans will always look for information about the players they might draft and develop opinions. Sure, we should stop short of suggesting so-and-so is a sure thing or a bust, but there's nothing wrong with fans looking at the available info and developing an opinion on those players. That's part of the fun! Beer
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16332
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:45 pm

I never bother to look up anything about prospects. Once we select a guy, then I'll learn about him.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:00 pm

tim1_2 wrote:I never bother to look up anything about prospects. Once we select a guy, then I'll learn about him.
    It's summer and we missed the playoffs. There is so little someone can do to entertain themselves regarding hockey before they run out. Besides, it's fun to put your own thoughts into it to see if you'd be wrong or right about your first impressions over the years.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:25 pm

tim1_2 wrote:I never bother to look up anything about prospects. Once we select a guy, then I'll learn about him.

But if you don't then you miss the opportunity of looking like a genius when your team (or another one just before yours) selects the player you were hyping.

(and if they don't, then you can still look like a genius when the payer blossoms somewhere else)

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:17 am

Bob Mckenzie echoes some more concerns about chychrun. I'm not alone. Might not be a top 10 pick.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:13 am