Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47955
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

GAME DAY #70: Leafs @ Senators - 7:00 pm - Saturday, March 12 2016

Post by wprager on Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:26 am

GAME DAY #70: Leafs @ Senators - 7:00 pm - Saturday, March 12 2016

Last time the Sens played this team was in the Rookie Tournament. They won in OT.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Re: GAME DAY #70: Leafs @ Senators - 7:00 pm - Saturday, March 12 2016

Post by wprager on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Paul in for Puempel.
    Wideman in for Wiercioch.
    Anderson with his 54th start.

Why isn't Paul in for Gomez so we can take a look at what Puempel can do when given a bunch of games in a row? He was called up 7 games ago and has been a scratch 5 times. What purpose does Gomez serve on this team?

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20865
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:59 pm

wprager wrote:Paul in for Puempel.

Why isn't Paul in for Gomez so we can take a look at what Puempel can do when given a bunch of games in a row? He was called up 7 games ago and has been a scratch 5 times. What purpose does Gomez serve on this team?

Gomez has been one of their best players especially possession wise.

Puempel, was a fan before but he's pretty average at best
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Steven Page (Barenaked Ladies) will sing O Canada. He's the one in the Sens jersey:

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:03 pm

Ev wrote:

Not surprising and I don't even look at "possession." Gomez has been solid. I don't see how everyone forgot how Puempel played a decent # of games in top 6 already and was quite underwhelming.

Anyhow the mission tonight is to finish the Leaves. Permanently.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:26 pm

Point is, Gomez is not part of the future for the Sens while Puempel is a 1st round pick that they've invested in over the last few years, and they are paying him a heck of a lot more to sit in the press box then they would have if he was still in Bingo. If they don't think he's part of the future then keep him in the AHL and save the cash. It's not like Gomez is the difference between making the playoffs and missing.

Bottom line, Gomez makes no sense in light of the fact that Puempel was brought up to Ottawa.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54425
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:38 pm

Ev wrote:

I've been way more impressed with Gomez than I thought I would be.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:06 pm

wprager wrote:Point is, Gomez is not part of the future for the Sens while Puempel is a 1st round pick that they've invested in over the last few years, and they are paying him a heck of a lot more to sit in the press box then they would have if he was still in Bingo. If they don't think he's part of the future then keep him in the AHL and save the cash. It's not like Gomez is the difference between making the playoffs and missing.

Bottom line, Gomez makes no sense in light of the fact that Puempel was brought up to Ottawa.

I think management has finally realized that leaning on the kids is not a formula for success. The mix has to be weighted in favour of more vets in the NHL while they reset the farm by actually leaving the kids down there longer than needed...

I would have no issue with ScoGo centering line 4 and playing the PP next season.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:46 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:

I've been way more impressed with Gomez than I thought I would be.

Me too. He's a good playmaker and always seems to find space.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:54 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    wprager wrote:Point is, Gomez is not part of the future for the Sens while Puempel is a 1st round pick that they've invested in over the last few years, and they are paying him a heck of a lot more to sit in the press box then they would have if he was still in Bingo. If they don't think he's part of the future then keep him in the AHL and save the cash. It's not like Gomez is the difference between making the playoffs and missing.

I think management has finally realized that leaning on the kids is not a formula for success. The mix has to be weighted in favour of more vets in the NHL while they reset the farm by actually leaving the kids down there longer than needed...

I would have no issue with ScoGo centering line 4 and playing the PP next season.

I think added veteran presence would lead to fewer peaks and valleys throughout the season. I think the biggest problem with a kid-focused team makeup is the lack of consistency.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:37 pm

Are you guys seriously saying that you wouldn't mind seeing Scott Gomez in the Sens lineup next season? Seriously? I'd much rather give the 4th line center spot to Paul or White. 5 games, one assist, one hit and 44% on face offs. What is he teaching the kids? That mediocrity can still get you reps in this league?

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54425
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:09 pm

spader wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

I think added veteran presence would lead to fewer peaks and valleys throughout the season. I think the biggest problem with a kid-focused team makeup is the lack of consistency.

Agreed with both above posts. That said there might be better options than Gomez in the off season, but I like him.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:31 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    spader wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

Agreed with both above posts. That said there might be better options than Gomez in the off season, but I like him.

I don't really care who they get, as long as he's cheap! The important thing is to get Bingo sorted out in a hurry. They got overzealous and overconfident with our prospects and we may have been set back 2 or 3 years in that area because of it.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm

Return of this guy tonight

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Red Wings win in OT. Sens 8 back of the Penguins who have 2 in hand -- "mathematically eliminated" isn't too far off. Malkin is out 6-8 weeks. Flyers just 3 back with a game in hand.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:17 pm