GAME DAY #71: Wild @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, March 15 2016

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24754
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Re: GAME DAY #71: Wild @ Senators - 7:30 pm - Tuesday, March 15 2016

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:47 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I hear Mike "Jimmy" Hoffman scored tonight.  Catching fire despite Cameron?

Strange days.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:15 am

Hoffman's goal was typical Hoffman. Screened shot from the point. Maybe someday he'll score from close in. ZBad's goal was a gift too. Karlsson's was a beaut.

Minnesota sure didn't look like a team clinging to the final playoff spot, but they have to be thankful for at least a point with Colorado right there with them.

Wow does the East ever suck horribly this year outside of Washington.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47671
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:46 am

tim1_2 wrote:Hoffman's goal was typical Hoffman.  Screened shot from the point.  Maybe someday he'll score from close in.  ZBad's goal was a gift too.  Karlsson's was a beaut.

Minnesota sure didn't look like a team clinging to the final playoff spot, but they have to be thankful for at least a point with Colorado right there with them.

Ottawa is 14-9-2 against Western Conference teams. Buffalo is 11-11-5. Even the lowly Leafs are 12-13-1. Ironically, it's teams like Florida and Boston that have losing records against the West. Oh, and Montreal is a whopping 6-17-3! But even with Montreal's record the Atlantic is slightly ahead at 94-93-22 against the West. The Met is significantly ahead at 114-71-19 (every team in the Met has a winning record against the East). Combined, the two Eastern Conference Divisions are 208-164-41 against the West.

So much for Western Dominance. Must be the other Babcock Effect.

P.S. It seems that the per-team sites still have the old NHL pages. The new NHL standings page doesn't let you see East vs West points but you can get them here:

http://senators.nhl.com/club/standings.htm?season=20152016&type=XVW

(or substitute "senators" for any other team name)

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:12 am

wprager wrote:Combined, the two Eastern Conference Divisions are 208-164-41 against the West.

So that is actually 208-205. So things are about 50/50.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:25 am

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:Combined, the two Eastern Conference Divisions are 208-164-41 against the West.

So that is actually 208-205.  So things are about 50/50.

Sure, if you wish. It's not what actually counts in the standings but, either way, "Western Dominance" is not a thing anymore.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:27 am

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Sure, if you wish.  It's not what actually counts in the standings but, either way, "Western Dominance" is not a thing anymore.

I don't think anyone said it was.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:17 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Sure, if you wish.  It's not what actually counts in the standings but, either way, "Western Dominance" is not a thing anymore.

Did you mean something else when you said "Wow does the East ever suck horribly this year outside of Washington."?

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Haha, that's a rare point for Prager
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:21 pm

You see zibanejad have a game where he gets into the corners and drives the net and you wish it was like that every game, or even 75 % of the time
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Zibanejad is always a beast against the West. I am pumped for his season coming up.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:10 pm

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Did you mean something else when you said "Wow does the East ever suck horribly this year outside of Washington."?

I think the top teams in the West are way beyond any of the Eastern teams other than Washington. So their top-end is way stronger than the East's top end. As for the rest of the teams, yeah, it's pretty equal. Our bottom-end is better than their bottom-end too....
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:16 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

I think the top teams in the West are way beyond any of the Eastern teams other than Washington.  So their top-end is way stronger than the East's top end.  As for the rest of the teams, yeah, it's pretty equal.  Our bottom-end is better than their bottom-end too....  

I don't mean to criticize anyone, but it strikes me that a more valuable stat would be to look at the playoff-bound teams' record against the West. I feel like including the other teams dilutes the data.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:18 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Hoffman's goal was typical Hoffman.  Screened shot from the point.  Maybe someday he'll score from close in.  ZBad's goal was a gift too.  Karlsson's was a beaut.

I love having guys that can score from the perimeter. EK and Hoff are the best we have at that.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24754
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:21 pm

Ev wrote:Zibanejad is always a beast against the West. I am pumped for his season coming up.

Maybe he gets dealt to Colorado for Duchene where his beastly attributes can be better utilized?
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:27 pm

spader wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

I think the top teams in the West are way beyond any of the Eastern teams other than Washington.  So their top-end is way stronger than the East's top end.  As for the rest of the teams, yeah, it's pretty equal.  Our bottom-end is better than their bottom-end too....  

I don't mean to criticize anyone, but it strikes me that a more valuable stat would be to look at the playoff-bound teams' record against the West. I feel like including the other teams dilutes the data.

Yeah, it's tough to measure properly, but four of the top five teams in the league are from the West (Dallas, St Louis, Chicago, LA). And then there's no hotter team than Anaheim right now. The only really good team in the East is Washington.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12923
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:00 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    spader wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Yeah, it's tough to measure properly, but four of the top five teams in the league are from the West (Dallas, St Louis, Chicago, LA).  And then there's no hotter team than Anaheim right now.  The only really good team in the East is Washington.
    Watch them get sipped out in the first round. Sarcasm
    There would be a delishious blowback of players being traded. Laugh1
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm not sure I want to work that hard to prove someone else's point. I think I've proven mine pretty well -- the West is not dominant against the East like it used to be 2-3 years ago. If you want to narrow down the results using only playoff bound teams in head-to-head competition then you go ahead and do it yourself. Except that some of those teams won't actually be in the playoffs. The brackets are not yet set.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:34 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    Yeah, it's tough to measure properly, but four of the top five teams in the league are from the West (Dallas, St Louis, Chicago, LA).  And then there's no hotter team than Anaheim right now.  The only really good team in the East is Washington.

It's pretty amazing how you discount the overall East vs. West results but then look at overall league standings to prove some point. Maybe the reason four of the top five teams are in the West is because they play most of their games against teams that are weaker (as the overall East vs. West record indicates).

At one point Florida was the hottest team in the league. At another it was Tampa. Chicago was weak at the start of the season. Anaheim was plain awful. The only team consistently strong from start to finish has been the Caps. Since in the playoffs the only time we see East vs. West is in the Finals all we have to go on is the regular season record. Go ahead and look at top four against top four, if you have the time (those teams are most likely all going to still be in the playoffs when the season is done).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:31 pm