spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Re: 2016 Awards Predictions

Post by spader on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:50 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:Of course he will.  Not only are they leading the league, he's also their workhorse.  Can you even name their backup without googling it?

Yeah, it's Grubauer and he's actually got better stats than Holtby.  I get that Holtby has a ridiculous amount of wins, but that's because Washington is ridiculously good.  I'll certainly admit that he might win, but I don't think he should or will.  The thing is that the only real other candidate is Ben Bishop, and Tampa hasn't been playing him a ton.  But his GAA is 2.02, which is by far and away the best in the league. He's also the leader in save % among starters.

Have you watched many Washington games? Yes, they're good, but he's been spectacular. He isn't one of those goalies that just happens to be playing in front of a good team. He's a big reason why they're so good. I've been paying close attention to him for the last three or four years (for fantasy hockey), and I can tell you that he's a better goalie than you're giving him credit for.

Also, I think Crawford and maybe Quick are other reasonable candidates.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47948
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:18 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:Of course he will.  Not only are they leading the league, he's also their workhorse.  Can you even name their backup without googling it?

Yeah, it's Grubauer and he's actually got better stats than Holtby.  I get that Holtby has a ridiculous amount of wins, but that's because Washington is ridiculously good.  I'll certainly admit that he might win, but I don't think he should or will.  The thing is that the only real other candidate is Ben Bishop, and Tampa hasn't been playing him a ton.  But his GAA is 2.02, which is by far and away the best in the league. He's also the leader in save % among starters.

It's not like Holtby's .922 SV% is bad. Bishop has huge D in front of him -- Hedman is 6'6", Sustr is 6'7", Coburn is 6'5". Carlson is 6'3" and he's the biggest on the Caps blue line. Holtby has to manage more shots from in close and more traffic in his crease.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:19 pm

spader wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Have you watched many Washington games? Yes, they're good, but he's been spectacular. He isn't one of those goalies that just happens to be playing in front of a good team. He's a big reason why they're so good. I've been paying close attention to him for the last three or four years (for fantasy hockey), and I can tell you that he's a better goalie than you're giving him credit for.

Exactly.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13116
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:02 pm

wprager wrote:
    spader wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Exactly.
    Crawford.... Good goalie but definitely benefits from the team he's playing for. Put him in Edmonton and watch him collapse.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:32 pm

Collapse? No. He would still be a good goalie but wouldn't win as many games, of course. You can be a great goalie and lose games.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16325
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:02 pm

wprager wrote:Collapse? No.  He would still be a good goalie but wouldn't win as many games, of course.  You can be a great goalie and lose games.  

Truly riveting analysis.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:35 am