Draft Protection list

    Share

    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24760
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:15 am

    While I'm not saying there won't be a rule forcing you to protect NMC/NTC players, that rule doesn't yet exist...

    Besides, I'm convinced there will be trades and signings throughout the league to exapansion-draft-proof their roster. There's not much sense trying to predict who will be protected right now. Maybe narrow it down to guys who you feel are 100 percent sure to even be Senators by that time.

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47682
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by wprager on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:21 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    wprager wrote:Protect Hammond and roll with him and Driedger's 0.00 lifetime NHL SV%.  Sure.  Who's the generational talent in 2017, again?

    Damn, forgot about NMC/NTC rule.  I wonder how many of these we'll see in the next round of contracts handed out.  Want a no-move clause?  Then you'll have to take a hometown discount.

    What rule?

    No rules yet. But the proposal for the expansion draft protection is that players on NMC/NTC have to be protected. Of course by the time all of this shakes out the NHLPA (which *wants* more NMC/NTC contracts) will insist that players on NMC/NTCs will be automatically protected in addition to the 7/3 (or 8).

    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16256
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by tim1_2 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:43 am

    I imagine the final rule will allow for one or two NMC/NTC guys to be automatically protected above and beyonf the base numbers.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10038
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by spader on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:28 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:While I'm not saying there won't be a rule forcing you to protect NMC/NTC players, that rule doesn't yet exist...

    Besides, I'm convinced there will be trades and signings throughout the league to exapansion-draft-proof their roster. There's not much sense trying to predict who will be protected right now. Maybe narrow it down to guys who you feel are 100 percent sure to even be Senators by that time.

    This might be the biggest hurdle they have to overcome. Apparently the only rule they have only refers to waivers, trades, and loans. From 30 thoughts:

    The league has hinted Article 11.8, Section (c) of the CBA gives it reason to believe an NMC does not protect anyone from being selected by a potential Las Vegas or Quebec City franchise. That paragraph reads, “A no-move clause may prevent the involuntary relocation of a Player, whether by Trade, Loan or Waiver claim.” There’s nothing about expansion.

    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-getting-closer-expansion-answers/

    I don't know what they're going to do. I really hope they don't force teams to protect NMCs. What if a team has more than 8? My guess is that they say that NMCs aren't subject to expansion, and those with them will keep them if they're drafted to the new team. There's also the fact that a lot of guys would want to be claimed and move to Vegas. Shrug We'll see.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47682
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by wprager on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:33 am

    OK, let's try another team. Detroit.

    Mrazek (G1)

    Ericsson (D1)
    DeKeyser (D2)
    Green (D3)

    In actuality Green, Kronwall and Ericsson have NTCs so depending on how this shakes out they could be leaving DeKeyser exposed.

    Nyquist (F1)
    Larkin (F2)
    Tatar (F3)
    (you can see I'm going with youth)
    Abdelkader (F4)
    Pulkkinen (F5)

    Honestly not sure how to fill that out. Zetterberg has no NMC/NTC but at over $6M until he is 40 is not likely a contract a new team wants to take on. On the other hand, they *do* have to reach the floor. Datsyuk has a NMC so he'll be protected one way or another. But at 37 with a recent history of injuries he is not a likely target. Helm? Mantha?


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10038
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by spader on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:30 am

    wprager wrote:OK, let's try another team.  Detroit.

    Mrazek (G1)

    Ericsson (D1)
    DeKeyser (D2)
    Green (D3)

    In actuality Green, Kronwall and Ericsson have NTCs so depending on how this shakes out they could be leaving DeKeyser exposed.

    Nyquist (F1)
    Larkin (F2)
    Tatar (F3)
    (you can see I'm going with youth)
    Abdelkader (F4)
    Pulkkinen (F5)

    Honestly not sure how to fill that out.  Zetterberg has no NMC/NTC but at over $6M until he is 40 is not likely a contract a new team wants to take on.  On the other hand, they *do* have to reach the floor.  Datsyuk has a NMC so he'll be protected one way or another.  But at 37 with a recent history of injuries he is not a likely target.  Helm?  Mantha?

    Keep in mind, there's automatic protection for players who have yet to complete 3 years of professional hockey. I'm not sure if Mantha would need to be on the protected list.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16256
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by tim1_2 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:14 pm

    Why don't you have Kronwall being protected?
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10038
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by spader on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:24 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:Why don't you have Kronwall being protected?

    I think he's going for a youth movement.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16256
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by tim1_2 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:39 pm

    spader wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Why don't you have Kronwall being protected?

    I think he's going for a youth movement.

    I figured there must have been a reason I was missing, because of course Detroit will protect Kronwall. Without even the slightest doubt. He's on a reasonable contract to boot.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12928
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:00 pm

    How does everyone include smith on the protected list??? Even Lebrun on TSN? Because their eyes that leaves pageau and Ryan unprotected.
    You protect those two and I bet we see methot get picked up.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47682
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by wprager on Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:07 am

    Flo The Action wrote:How does everyone include smith on the protected list??? Even Lebrun on TSN? Because their eyes that leaves pageau and Ryan unprotected.
    You protect those two and I bet we see methot get picked up.

    Who would pick up Methot? If you watch him play you can see that he's an OK D-man, but nothing special, really. He has not been playing very well this year. And if you look at his stats, woof!

    Smith has a very sexy stats line, and in prior years he was coveted by a lot of GMs. His offense this year is basically what everyone was expecting him to reach 3-4 years ago.

    My opinion, of course, but Smith will be picked, and he has trade value. While Methot would not be picked, and he has little trade value.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10038
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by spader on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:17 pm

    wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:How does everyone include smith on the protected list??? Even Lebrun on TSN? Because their eyes that leaves pageau and Ryan unprotected.
    You protect those two and I bet we see methot get picked up.

    Who would pick up Methot?  If you watch him play you can see that he's an OK D-man, but nothing special, really.  He has not been playing very well this year.  And if you look at his stats, woof!  

    Smith has a very sexy stats line, and in prior years he was coveted by a lot of GMs.  His offense this year is basically what everyone was expecting him to reach 3-4 years ago.

    My opinion, of course, but Smith will be picked, and he has trade value.  While Methot would not be picked, and he has little trade value.

    Smith is on lists because he appears to be having a breakout season and, if he can maintain close to this production, he'll be a good LW, something the Sens need. Methot may not have good stats, but he'd still likely get picked. This is the whole "stats don't tell the whole story" point that you've been accused of missing once or twice. Methot is a good stay-at-home D with some decent puck movement skills and a good shot from the point. He'll never wow you with stats, but he's a very good D-first option for most teams top-four. I think he's likely to be a casualty of a draft, depending on who else we expose.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10038
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by spader on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:23 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:Protect Hammond and roll with him and Driedger's 0.00 lifetime NHL SV%.  Sure.  Who's the generational talent in 2017, again?

    Well, keep in mind that Ogelthorpe brought up the brilliant possibility that other goalies might be easily obtainable via trade (or whatever)...for example Tampa Bay can only protect one of Vasilevsky or Bishop.  So we can swoop in, pick one up, and protect that one.  I'd happily keep Anderson, but he's getting old.

    It would be pretty great if we had a player like Vas here. I really like his game.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47682
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by wprager on Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:20 pm

    spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:How does everyone include smith on the protected list??? Even Lebrun on TSN? Because their eyes that leaves pageau and Ryan unprotected.
    You protect those two and I bet we see methot get picked up.

    Who would pick up Methot?  If you watch him play you can see that he's an OK D-man, but nothing special, really.  He has not been playing very well this year.  And if you look at his stats, woof!  

    Smith has a very sexy stats line, and in prior years he was coveted by a lot of GMs.  His offense this year is basically what everyone was expecting him to reach 3-4 years ago.

    My opinion, of course, but Smith will be picked, and he has trade value.  While Methot would not be picked, and he has little trade value.

    Smith is on lists because he appears to be having a breakout season and, if he can maintain close to this production, he'll be a good LW, something the Sens need. Methot may not have good stats, but he'd still likely get picked. This is the whole "stats don't tell the whole story" point that you've been accused of missing once or twice. Methot is a good stay-at-home D with some decent puck movement skills and a good shot from the point. He'll never wow you with stats, but he's a very good D-first option for most teams top-four. I think he's likely to be a casualty of a draft, depending on who else we expose.  

    Please re-read what I wrote. Methot has not played very well this year so those who watch him play will not be impressed given his nearly $5M cap hit. Better bang for the buck is out there. And those who look at stats see that he is *not* an offensive defenseman but he *is* the #2 on the worst defensive team in the entire league. Doesn't inspire confidence as a shutdown guy, either.

    Mehot *is* a good defenseman, but at that salary there will be better options available.

    Again, this is my opinion.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10038
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by spader on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:53 pm

    wprager wrote:
    spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:How does everyone include smith on the protected list??? Even Lebrun on TSN? Because their eyes that leaves pageau and Ryan unprotected.
    You protect those two and I bet we see methot get picked up.

    Who would pick up Methot?  If you watch him play you can see that he's an OK D-man, but nothing special, really.  He has not been playing very well this year.  And if you look at his stats, woof!  

    Smith has a very sexy stats line, and in prior years he was coveted by a lot of GMs.  His offense this year is basically what everyone was expecting him to reach 3-4 years ago.

    My opinion, of course, but Smith will be picked, and he has trade value.  While Methot would not be picked, and he has little trade value.

    Smith is on lists because he appears to be having a breakout season and, if he can maintain close to this production, he'll be a good LW, something the Sens need. Methot may not have good stats, but he'd still likely get picked. This is the whole "stats don't tell the whole story" point that you've been accused of missing once or twice. Methot is a good stay-at-home D with some decent puck movement skills and a good shot from the point. He'll never wow you with stats, but he's a very good D-first option for most teams top-four. I think he's likely to be a casualty of a draft, depending on who else we expose.  

    Please re-read what I wrote.  Methot has not played very well this year so those who watch him play will not be impressed given his nearly $5M cap hit.  Better bang for the buck is out there.   And those who look at stats see that he is *not* an offensive defenseman but he *is* the #2 on the worst defensive team in the entire league.  Doesn't inspire confidence as a shutdown guy, either.

    Mehot *is* a good defenseman, but at that salary there will be better options available.  

    Again, this is my opinion.

    I disagree with your analysis. The problem isn't with the way I'm reading your post. If you frequently find yourself asking people to re-read what you wrote, you might want to consider the possibility that you aren't always clearly articulating your point.

    Just sayin'.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47682
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by wprager on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:57 am

    Fair enough, maybe I'm not always crystal clear.  But this time Mm post clearly mentioned that those who watched him play *and* those who scan the stats sheets would both come to the same conclusion regarding Methot.  Yet you went back to the old (and untrue) chestnut of "Walter doesn't watch any games except on paper".

    I watch games.  I have a busy family life so I maybe don't watch as much as some, but probably more than most.  I also like digging deeper so I look at stats.  But I use stats to back up my opinions, which are normally not drawn from stats in the first place.  According to those Briggs-Meyers tests I am an intuitive thinker and have actually had to train myself to do deeper analysis (I still arrive at the same conclusion most of the time, but I can now back it up to my boss and not be accused of jumping at conclusions).  So, perhaps, my affinity for stats simply comes from this.

    Just because someone looks at stats does not mean he doesn't watch games, and it certainly does not mean that he forms his opinions based on simply numbers.  I watch, I root, I complain about referees, I yell "Shoot!" at the screen when they've passed it back-and-forth 8 times on the powerplay.  I form my opinions based on watching, if I can, then I try to back my arguments up with supporting stats because that's what is usually asked for -- in real life.  But in this fantasy sports life it's somehow wrong, whereas the NEELY type says "fact is" and you all drop your panties.

    Just sayin'.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16256
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by tim1_2 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:45 pm

    You're hilarious. And wrong, as usual. Everyone gets a hard time here, including Neely (he got such a hard time that he left).

    You just are wrong more than most, so you get it the worst. Due to being wrong. More than most.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10038
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by spader on Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:45 pm

    This is my best response to the conversation above:

    StickmanDancing

    Sponsored content

    Re: Draft Protection list

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:11 pm