You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 67]

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:I still don't see this 'roster shake-up' that Dorion promised.

Realistically, I'd imagine the lineup looking like this:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - ????
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Dzingel - Paul - Lazar
Extras Neil and Puempel - hopefully Chiasson diddles off

If they cheap out and do absolutely nothing to the forward ranks, then move Stone up and Lazar up and insert Neil.

Defence:

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - ???
Wideman

Anderson
Hammond
I see the lines a little differently.
Hoffman-turris-ryan
MacArthur -Zib - stone
I know stone was good with pageau but you can't actually expect him to play on the third line.

Either Stone, Ryan or a free agent/trade must play on Pageau's line.  You can't load up your top 6, teams can defend that too well.  Then if there are injuries, Stone moves up, but he can be a dynamic player with Pageau and Smith IMO - and they'll get the ice time too.

No way is Stone a 3rd liner. He's being payed on the 3rd line on Team Canada right now and is producing at a PPG+ pace. Most other national teams he's a top-six (if not top-3) player, and he's certainly that in Ottawa.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:I still don't see this 'roster shake-up' that Dorion promised.

Realistically, I'd imagine the lineup looking like this:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - ????
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Dzingel - Paul - Lazar
Extras Neil and Puempel - hopefully Chiasson diddles off

If they cheap out and do absolutely nothing to the forward ranks, then move Stone up and Lazar up and insert Neil.

Defence:

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - ???
Wideman

Anderson
Hammond
I see the lines a little differently.
Hoffman-turris-ryan
MacArthur -Zib - stone
I know stone was good with pageau but you can't actually expect him to play on the third line.

Either Stone, Ryan or a free agent/trade must play on Pageau's line.  You can't load up your top 6, teams can defend that too well.  Then if there are injuries, Stone moves up, but he can be a dynamic player with Pageau and Smith IMO - and they'll get the ice time too.
I kind of hope smith is traded.

I think we could have an interesting 3rd line with puempel pageau and ericksson. Or MacArthur pageau and Paul, Or someone we trade for. Either way I don't see the third line looking anything the way it does now.

Feels like the org is leaning toward keeping Chiasson maybe. Tough to see where he slides in. Dzingel lazar Chiasson/Neil on the 4rth line?

Eriksson wants $5M+; that's not a third line salary.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
SpezDispensed wrote:I don't understand the point in bringing Chiasson back.  He's not as good as Dzingel, Paul or Lazar, he's probably on par with McCormick and Puempel's about to lap him too.  Not to mention we'll want to see a few games from Perron.  I just don't see a fit.

He's certainly better than Dzingel or McCormick. He needs a little puck luck and he'd get rolling. Remember you can't teach size. That said, Paul has the same size and is a better all around player -- better skill, more tenacious, bit of a mean streak.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

spader

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:I don't understand the point in bringing Chiasson back.  He's not as good as Dzingel, Paul or Lazar, he's probably on par with McCormick and Puempel's about to lap him too.  Not to mention we'll want to see a few games from Perron.  I just don't see a fit.

He's certainly better than Dzingel or McCormick.  He needs a little puck luck and he'd get rolling.  Remember you can't teach size.  That said, Paul has the same size and is a better all around player -- better skill, more tenacious, bit of a mean streak.  

I don't know that he's better than Dzingel.

PTFlea

avatar
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:I still don't see this 'roster shake-up' that Dorion promised.

Realistically, I'd imagine the lineup looking like this:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - ????
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Dzingel - Paul - Lazar
Extras Neil and Puempel - hopefully Chiasson diddles off

If they cheap out and do absolutely nothing to the forward ranks, then move Stone up and Lazar up and insert Neil.

Defence:

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - ???
Wideman

Anderson
Hammond
I see the lines a little differently.
Hoffman-turris-ryan
MacArthur -Zib - stone
I know stone was good with pageau but you can't actually expect him to play on the third line.

Either Stone, Ryan or a free agent/trade must play on Pageau's line.  You can't load up your top 6, teams can defend that too well.  Then if there are injuries, Stone moves up, but he can be a dynamic player with Pageau and Smith IMO - and they'll get the ice time too.

No way is Stone a 3rd liner.  He's being payed on the 3rd line on Team Canada right now and is producing at a PPG+ pace.  Most other national teams he's a top-six (if not top-3) player, and he's certainly that in Ottawa.

You take the moniker of third liner too seriously. If it's a guy who can play 17+ minutes a night, make a "third' line stronger, play PP1, PK 1, is he still a just a third liner? Again though, you have a powerful top 9 and suddenly teams will struggle to try to defend you. You have everything in your top 6 and you get the top 2 pairings on you at all times, so Stone and Pageau will likely be getting third pairing D-men for some of the time and again, he can move up and down the lineup.

PTFlea

avatar
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:I don't understand the point in bringing Chiasson back.  He's not as good as Dzingel, Paul or Lazar, he's probably on par with McCormick and Puempel's about to lap him too.  Not to mention we'll want to see a few games from Perron.  I just don't see a fit.

He's certainly better than Dzingel or McCormick.  He needs a little puck luck and he'd get rolling.  Remember you can't teach size.  That said, Paul has the same size and is a better all around player -- better skill, more tenacious, bit of a mean streak.  

He's better than Dzingel? Based on what? He's bigger?

Flo The Action

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:I still don't see this 'roster shake-up' that Dorion promised.

Realistically, I'd imagine the lineup looking like this:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - ????
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Dzingel - Paul - Lazar
Extras Neil and Puempel - hopefully Chiasson diddles off

If they cheap out and do absolutely nothing to the forward ranks, then move Stone up and Lazar up and insert Neil.

Defence:

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Borowiecki - ???
Wideman

Anderson
Hammond
I see the lines a little differently.
Hoffman-turris-ryan
MacArthur -Zib - stone
I know stone was good with pageau but you can't actually expect him to play on the third line.

Either Stone, Ryan or a free agent/trade must play on Pageau's line.  You can't load up your top 6, teams can defend that too well.  Then if there are injuries, Stone moves up, but he can be a dynamic player with Pageau and Smith IMO - and they'll get the ice time too.

No way is Stone a 3rd liner.  He's being payed on the 3rd line on Team Canada right now and is producing at a PPG+ pace.  Most other national teams he's a top-six (if not top-3) player, and he's certainly that in Ottawa.

You take the moniker of third liner too seriously.  If it's a guy who can play 17+ minutes a night, make a "third' line stronger, play PP1, PK 1, is he still a just a third liner?  Again though, you have a powerful top 9 and suddenly teams will struggle to try to defend you.  You have everything in your top 6 and you get the top 2 pairings on you at all times, so Stone and Pageau will likely be getting third pairing D-men for some of the time and again, he can move up and down the lineup.
One could wonder if kessel is also a 3rd liner. Sarcasm

I guess you can't go into a season with stone penned into your third line is the point.

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
17 minutes a night for the third line? If you have 1A-1B-1C that are splitting ice time exactly 3 ways that leaves 9 minutes for your 4th line and penalty kill. Possible, but extremely unlikely. 17 minutes a night is a second line.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

Flo The Action

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
I wonder if the sens would take a look at Kris's Russell. He's not gonna be cheap but he's a second pairing guy and depending on how well methot plays going forward he would be nice insurance on the blueline.

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Kessel may be playing 3rd line now because Crosby and Malkin are 1 and 2. But this is the playoffs, and that line is producing so they are not going to upset the apple cart. He certainly was not brought in to play the third line, he was brought in to play with Crosby, and that's where he played until they figured out it was not working. Salary does matter when you plan things out, but then your plans don't always work out. It doesn't mean that the next time they need a 3rd line winger they'll bring in a guy making $6M.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

SensHulk

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Not sure if this was posted but here's the off-season game plan from TSN for Ottawa:

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-ottawa-senators-1.492733

PTFlea

avatar
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:17 minutes a night for the third line? If you have 1A-1B-1C that are splitting ice time exactly 3 ways that leaves 9 minutes for your 4th line and penalty kill.  Possible, but extremely unlikely.  17 minutes a night is a second line.

That's what stone would play on a third line though. Top line pp, top like pk and 12 minutes or so on the third line.

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/05/19/hoffman-thrilled-with-senators-decision-to-hire-boucher

Hoffman said Boucher “wants the best out of his players” — but really, what coach doesn’t? — then added, “and the biggest thing is, he respects his players.”

You don't say ...

“He’s excellent at figuring out players, whether to push them or just leave them alone. He’s very good at controlling his team. I think part of that comes from the psychology background and all that stuff he has his degrees in, which is extremely important in sports.”

Good read.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

Flo The Action

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/05/19/hoffman-thrilled-with-senators-decision-to-hire-boucher

Hoffman said Boucher “wants the best out of his players” — but really, what coach doesn’t? — then added, “and the biggest thing is, he respects his players.”

You don't say ...

“He’s excellent at figuring out players, whether to push them or just leave them alone. He’s very good at controlling his team. I think part of that comes from the psychology background and all that stuff he has his degrees in, which is extremely important in sports.”

Good read.
Really sounds like Hoffman has a much more optimistic position on being a senator. Also sounds like both sides want a long term contract. Let's see what the money looks like.

Ev

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Hoffman's comments are bizarre. He says he learned how to play a complete game and listen to coaches when that has been his exact issue these last three years. He hasn't learned ANYTHING.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 67]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum