Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Share

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:14 am

    Definitely. I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48302
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:24 am

    Ev wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    Ev wrote:Don't love Hoffman but like the deal. If he peaked last year then you're not overpaying by too much.

    In this ridiculous Dekeyser @ 5 million X 6 years, 5.18 for a 27-29 goal scorer is underpaying.

    I'm not the biggest Hoffman fan either, but I like the speed and sharp-shooting element he brings and I think he can get some of the finer details of the game from Crawford and Boucher.  I like it.

    I thought they might come in @ Nyqvist numbers, but w/e.

    They are not underpaying him. He has had too little experience to be worth anything more than $4.5-$5 million

    But ... Dekeyser!

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48302
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:30 am

    PTFlea wrote:Definitely.  I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

    Oh, crap, you're right. How much is mama's cooking worth to Cody, I wonder? Sens have $8.8M cap space left. If Ceci gets anywhere near $5M they will be just $4M under the cap. Last year only 13 teams in the league were under $5M in cap room. Toronto were almost exactly at $4M and were 10th highest (cap) in the league. Could be the Sens will be in the top-third or very close. What does that do to the "budget" talk?
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:32 am

    wprager wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Definitely.  I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

    Oh, crap, you're right.  How much is mama's cooking worth to Cody, I wonder?  Sens have $8.8M cap space left.  If Ceci gets anywhere near $5M they will be just $4M under the cap.  Last year only 13 teams in the league were under $5M in cap room.  Toronto were almost exactly at $4M and were 10th highest (cap) in the league.  Could be the Sens will be in the top-third or very close.  What does that do to the "budget" talk?

    Budget! Ahhhhh!

    I really think they bridge Ceci big time. 2 years, 2.75 per year, something like that. He's still got a lot to prove.
    avatar
    dennycrane
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2121
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by dennycrane on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:38 am

    DeKeyser was one year from UFA, Ceci is 4.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48302
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:38 am

    dennycrane wrote:DeKeyser was one year from UFA, Ceci is 4.

    Ceci is actually better, though.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48302
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:39 am

    So the structure of the Hoffman contract makes me think ticket prices are going up in 2017-18; or we get a new owner.


    Last edited by wprager on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48302
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:41 am

    Mendes tweeted this quote from Boucher back in May:


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21012
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Ev on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:54 am

    Hoffman 10-team NTC kicks in next July.

    Hmmm. makes oyu think.
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7429
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by rooneypoo on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:06 pm

    wprager wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Definitely.  I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

    Oh, crap, you're right.  How much is mama's cooking worth to Cody, I wonder?  Sens have $8.8M cap space left.  If Ceci gets anywhere near $5M they will be just $4M under the cap.  Last year only 13 teams in the league were under $5M in cap room.  Toronto were almost exactly at $4M and were 10th highest (cap) in the league.  Could be the Sens will be in the top-third or very close.  What does that do to the "budget" talk?

    Nothing?

    OTT has done nothing but lock up all its key young players, year over year, since people starting talking about this. And you're right, I think Ceci earns at least a $3 mil / year deal, pushing our cap up to $68~ mil.

    The problem is people say' budget' and they don't have a clear idea of what they're actually trying to communicate. I believe the Sens have an internal budget, under the cap but well over the floor. But if your budget is $70~ mil ish, which is what it's looking like at this point, and your cap is $73 mil, then it's a pretty minute point to insist on. Meaningless, really.

    Anyway, we've been smart with our cap and salary commitments long term. Turris and Stone will need new contracts in 2 years, and so will Anderson (or we'll need a new goalie). Karlsson (and Methot, if he's still here) are up the year after that. The people who think the Sens don't spend on UFA day because they're cheap are myopic and just don't see the long term impact of stupid UFA spending. Do you think that, if NYI could go back in time, they would still give out $9 mil /yr to Grabo and Kulemin via UFA if they had realized it would cost them Okposo?

    People can be so stubborn and short sighted on this question.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:11 pm

    Ev wrote:Hoffman 10-team NTC kicks in next July.

    Hmmm. makes oyu think.

    Indeed, that's interesting.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13351
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:20 pm

    PTFlea wrote:
    Ev wrote:Hoffman 10-team NTC kicks in next July.

    Hmmm. makes oyu think.

    Indeed, that's interesting.
    Yeah, it sounds like they want to test drive Hoffman on another year before feeling like they're fully comited to him for the other 3. Will be interesting to see Hoffman on a non-contract year.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13351
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:27 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Definitely.  I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

    Oh, crap, you're right.  How much is mama's cooking worth to Cody, I wonder?  Sens have $8.8M cap space left.  If Ceci gets anywhere near $5M they will be just $4M under the cap.  Last year only 13 teams in the league were under $5M in cap room.  Toronto were almost exactly at $4M and were 10th highest (cap) in the league.  Could be the Sens will be in the top-third or very close.  What does that do to the "budget" talk?

    Nothing?

    OTT has done nothing but lock up all its key young players, year over year, since people starting talking about this. And you're right, I think Ceci earns at least a $3 mil / year deal, pushing our cap up to $68~ mil.

    The problem is people say' budget' and they don't have a clear idea of what they're actually trying to communicate. I believe the Sens have an internal budget, under the cap but well over the floor. But if your budget is $70~ mil ish, which is what it's looking like at this point, and your cap is $73 mil, then it's a pretty minute point to insist on. Meaningless, really.

    Anyway, we've been smart with our cap and salary commitments long term. Turris and Stone will need new contracts in 2 years, and so will Anderson (or we'll need a new goalie). Karlsson (and Methot, if he's still here) are up the year after that. The people who think the Sens don't spend on UFA day because they're cheap are myopic and just don't see the long term impact of stupid UFA spending. Do you think that, if NYI could go back in time, they would still give out $9 mil /yr to Grabo and Kulemin via UFA if they had realized it would cost them Okposo?

    People can be so stubborn and short sighted on this question.
    I think that's a crock of Dung. Yeah we all know the org operates under their own budget and you can't be counting players new contracts in 2 -3 years. You know what other teams do when they operate closer to the cap ceiling because of FA? They end up trading players and recuperating assets. So sorry if I don't buy into that scenario that we are holding off for future contracts. We could easily invest on a one or two year contract on a guy like Hudler for the third line and not have a problem with the cap.
    And the isles had the space to resign okposo, they too operate under a self imposed budget. They were the masters of their own destiny and their own budget cost them. I wouldn't place the blame on just sayin they made bad decisions.

    Truth is this self imposed budget IS hampering us from putting he best competitive team out there.
    It plays into how we handle making trades(like having to move out our bad contracts in one like the phaneuf trade) so don't start coming in here telling anyone that's got a problem with the budget mentality that they are day dreaming. That's bull
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 30
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by LeCaptain on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:09 pm

    Good contract. Didn't sound too difficult to get done. Looks like Cameron was not a good coach and Hoff's gonna get even hotter.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 21012
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Ev on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:43 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Definitely.  I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

    Oh, crap, you're right.  How much is mama's cooking worth to Cody, I wonder?  Sens have $8.8M cap space left.  If Ceci gets anywhere near $5M they will be just $4M under the cap.  Last year only 13 teams in the league were under $5M in cap room.  Toronto were almost exactly at $4M and were 10th highest (cap) in the league.  Could be the Sens will be in the top-third or very close.  What does that do to the "budget" talk?

    Nothing?

    OTT has done nothing but lock up all its key young players, year over year, since people starting talking about this. And you're right, I think Ceci earns at least a $3 mil / year deal, pushing our cap up to $68~ mil.

    The problem is people say' budget' and they don't have a clear idea of what they're actually trying to communicate. I believe the Sens have an internal budget, under the cap but well over the floor. But if your budget is $70~ mil ish, which is what it's looking like at this point, and your cap is $73 mil, then it's a pretty minute point to insist on. Meaningless, really.

    Anyway, we've been smart with our cap and salary commitments long term. Turris and Stone will need new contracts in 2 years, and so will Anderson (or we'll need a new goalie). Karlsson (and Methot, if he's still here) are up the year after that. The people who think the Sens don't spend on UFA day because they're cheap are myopic and just don't see the long term impact of stupid UFA spending. Do you think that, if NYI could go back in time, they would still give out $9 mil /yr to Grabo and Kulemin via UFA if they had realized it would cost them Okposo?

    People can be so stubborn and short sighted on this question.
    I think that's a crock of Dung. Yeah we all know the org operates under their own budget and you can't be counting players new contracts in 2 -3 years. You know what other teams do when they operate closer to the cap ceiling because of FA? They end up trading players and recuperating assets. So sorry if I don't buy into that scenario that we are holding off for future contracts. We could easily invest on a one or two year contract on a guy like Hudler for the third line and not have a problem with the cap.
    And the isles had the space to resign okposo, they too operate under a self imposed budget. They were the masters of their own destiny and their own budget cost them. I wouldn't place the blame on just sayin they made bad decisions.

    Truth is this self imposed budget IS hampering us from putting he best competitive team out there.
    It plays into how we handle making trades(like having to move out our bad contracts in one like the phaneuf trade) so don't start coming in here telling anyone that's got a problem with the budget mentality that they are day dreaming. That's bull

    People think Dung average players like Hudler would suddenly propel us to some higher level?

    Rooneypoo's post was 100% correct. A small market, retooling, Canadian team operating on a slight budget is 100% fair especially given the contracts we need to dish out soon.


    Last edited by Ev on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 8461
    Age : 32
    Location : Orange County, CA
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:49 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Definitely.  I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

    Oh, crap, you're right.  How much is mama's cooking worth to Cody, I wonder?  Sens have $8.8M cap space left.  If Ceci gets anywhere near $5M they will be just $4M under the cap.  Last year only 13 teams in the league were under $5M in cap room.  Toronto were almost exactly at $4M and were 10th highest (cap) in the league.  Could be the Sens will be in the top-third or very close.  What does that do to the "budget" talk?

    Nothing?

    OTT has done nothing but lock up all its key young players, year over year, since people starting talking about this. And you're right, I think Ceci earns at least a $3 mil / year deal, pushing our cap up to $68~ mil.

    The problem is people say' budget' and they don't have a clear idea of what they're actually trying to communicate. I believe the Sens have an internal budget, under the cap but well over the floor. But if your budget is $70~ mil ish, which is what it's looking like at this point, and your cap is $73 mil, then it's a pretty minute point to insist on. Meaningless, really.

    Anyway, we've been smart with our cap and salary commitments long term. Turris and Stone will need new contracts in 2 years, and so will Anderson (or we'll need a new goalie). Karlsson (and Methot, if he's still here) are up the year after that. The people who think the Sens don't spend on UFA day because they're cheap are myopic and just don't see the long term impact of stupid UFA spending. Do you think that, if NYI could go back in time, they would still give out $9 mil /yr to Grabo and Kulemin via UFA if they had realized it would cost them Okposo?

    People can be so stubborn and short sighted on this question.

    That's Ottawa fans. I don't blame them entirely though, melnyk has come out constantly and said dumb things, and this Dung really spiraled out of control after the alfie debacle. Since then though, sens have signed every key player to a contract. Ppl just automatically assume that if a team doesn't throw out ridiculous money in short order, then they're cheap. Perhaps when the sens are realistically in the realm of a stanely cup, they'll add that key player without having to waive or trade another key cog in the lineup.
    avatar
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 8461
    Age : 32
    Location : Orange County, CA
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:51 pm

    My $0.02....Hoffman got a tad bit overpaid. $5M was the max he deserved. And the fact his salary jumps from $3.8M to $5.6M tells me this will be another prove it type of year or he's gonna get traded next summer.

    All things considered, I'm glad they got him signed and ppl can finally stfu about losing hoffman or going to arb with him. And now I can finally change my username......
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:58 pm

    Melnyk has such a big mouth, it's so bad...

    Sponsored content

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:27 pm