You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 65 of 67]

SensHulk


All-Star
All-Star
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Definitely.  I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

Oh, crap, you're right.  How much is mama's cooking worth to Cody, I wonder?  Sens have $8.8M cap space left.  If Ceci gets anywhere near $5M they will be just $4M under the cap.  Last year only 13 teams in the league were under $5M in cap room.  Toronto were almost exactly at $4M and were 10th highest (cap) in the league.  Could be the Sens will be in the top-third or very close.  What does that do to the "budget" talk?

Nothing?

OTT has done nothing but lock up all its key young players, year over year, since people starting talking about this. And you're right, I think Ceci earns at least a $3 mil / year deal, pushing our cap up to $68~ mil.

The problem is people say' budget' and they don't have a clear idea of what they're actually trying to communicate. I believe the Sens have an internal budget, under the cap but well over the floor. But if your budget is $70~ mil ish, which is what it's looking like at this point, and your cap is $73 mil, then it's a pretty minute point to insist on. Meaningless, really.

Anyway, we've been smart with our cap and salary commitments long term. Turris and Stone will need new contracts in 2 years, and so will Anderson (or we'll need a new goalie). Karlsson (and Methot, if he's still here) are up the year after that. The people who think the Sens don't spend on UFA day because they're cheap are myopic and just don't see the long term impact of stupid UFA spending. Do you think that, if NYI could go back in time, they would still give out $9 mil /yr to Grabo and Kulemin via UFA if they had realized it would cost them Okposo?

People can be so stubborn and short sighted on this question.

That's Ottawa fans. I don't blame them entirely though, melnyk has come out constantly and said dumb things, and this Dung really spiraled out of control after the alfie debacle. Since then though, sens have signed every key player to a contract. Ppl just automatically assume that if a team doesn't throw out ridiculous money in short order, then they're cheap. Perhaps when the sens are realistically in the realm of a stanely cup, they'll add that key player without having to waive or trade another key cog in the lineup.

SensHulk


All-Star
All-Star
My $0.02....Hoffman got a tad bit overpaid. $5M was the max he deserved. And the fact his salary jumps from $3.8M to $5.6M tells me this will be another prove it type of year or he's gonna get traded next summer.

All things considered, I'm glad they got him signed and ppl can finally stfu about losing hoffman or going to arb with him. And now I can finally change my username......

PTFlea


Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Melnyk has such a big mouth, it's so bad...

DefenceWinsChampionships


Veteran
Veteran
Flo The Action wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Definitely.  I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

Oh, crap, you're right.  How much is mama's cooking worth to Cody, I wonder?  Sens have $8.8M cap space left.  If Ceci gets anywhere near $5M they will be just $4M under the cap.  Last year only 13 teams in the league were under $5M in cap room.  Toronto were almost exactly at $4M and were 10th highest (cap) in the league.  Could be the Sens will be in the top-third or very close.  What does that do to the "budget" talk?

Nothing?

OTT has done nothing but lock up all its key young players, year over year, since people starting talking about this. And you're right, I think Ceci earns at least a $3 mil / year deal, pushing our cap up to $68~ mil.

The problem is people say' budget' and they don't have a clear idea of what they're actually trying to communicate. I believe the Sens have an internal budget, under the cap but well over the floor. But if your budget is $70~ mil ish, which is what it's looking like at this point, and your cap is $73 mil, then it's a pretty minute point to insist on. Meaningless, really.

Anyway, we've been smart with our cap and salary commitments long term. Turris and Stone will need new contracts in 2 years, and so will Anderson (or we'll need a new goalie). Karlsson (and Methot, if he's still here) are up the year after that. The people who think the Sens don't spend on UFA day because they're cheap are myopic and just don't see the long term impact of stupid UFA spending. Do you think that, if NYI could go back in time, they would still give out $9 mil /yr to Grabo and Kulemin via UFA if they had realized it would cost them Okposo?

People can be so stubborn and short sighted on this question.
I think that's a crock of Dung. Yeah we all know the org operates under their own budget and you can't be counting players new contracts in 2 -3 years. You know what other teams do when they operate closer to the cap ceiling because of FA? They end up trading players and recuperating assets. So sorry if I don't buy into that scenario that we are holding off for future contracts. We could easily invest on a one or two year contract on a guy like Hudler for the third line and not have a problem with the cap.
And the isles had the space to resign okposo, they too operate under a self imposed budget. They were the masters of their own destiny and their own budget cost them. I wouldn't place the blame on just sayin they made bad decisions.

Truth is this self imposed budget IS hampering us from putting he best competitive team out there.
It plays into how we handle making trades(like having to move out our bad contracts in one like the phaneuf trade) so don't start coming in here telling anyone that's got a problem with the budget mentality that they are day dreaming. That's bull

Name one fan in Minnesota that is happy about the Suter/Parise contracts. The Sens are doing it right. No complaints here.

PTFlea

avatar
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I'll take Suter at his full contract today and be very pleased about it.

spader

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Michallica wrote:My $0.02....Hoffman got a tad bit overpaid.  $5M was the max he deserved.  And the fact his salary jumps from $3.8M to $5.6M tells me this will be another prove it type of year or he's gonna get traded next summer.  

All things considered, I'm glad they got him signed and ppl can finally stfu about losing hoffman or going to arb with him.  And now I can finally change my username......

Hofferino?

spader

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Name one fan in Minnesota that is happy about the Suter/Parise contracts. The Sens are doing it right. No complaints here.

I agree with this for sure. Suter isn't too bad, but the Parise deal is atrocious. That deal might single-handedly keep them out of contention. Well, that and Pominville.  Sarcasm

SeawaySensFan

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
spader wrote:
Michallica wrote:My $0.02....Hoffman got a tad bit overpaid.  $5M was the max he deserved.  And the fact his salary jumps from $3.8M to $5.6M tells me this will be another prove it type of year or he's gonna get traded next summer.  

All things considered, I'm glad they got him signed and ppl can finally stfu about losing hoffman or going to arb with him.  And now I can finally change my username......

Hofferino?

Hoffenfeffer?!?!

spader

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
SeawaySensFan wrote:
spader wrote:
Michallica wrote:My $0.02....Hoffman got a tad bit overpaid.  $5M was the max he deserved.  And the fact his salary jumps from $3.8M to $5.6M tells me this will be another prove it type of year or he's gonna get traded next summer.  

All things considered, I'm glad they got him signed and ppl can finally stfu about losing hoffman or going to arb with him.  And now I can finally change my username......

Hofferino?

Hoffenfeffer?!?!

Hoffilious?

SensHulk

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
spader wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
spader wrote:
Michallica wrote:My $0.02....Hoffman got a tad bit overpaid.  $5M was the max he deserved.  And the fact his salary jumps from $3.8M to $5.6M tells me this will be another prove it type of year or he's gonna get traded next summer.  

All things considered, I'm glad they got him signed and ppl can finally stfu about losing hoffman or going to arb with him.  And now I can finally change my username......

Hofferino?

Hoffenfeffer?!?!

Hoffilious?

All are worthy candidates. It will definitely be a pun of some sort.

Hoff'n'Hoff, Hoffwiththeirheads, JackHoff, Hoff-Rocket Hoff-Man, Hoff-Man Hoff-Machine, Hoffenweizer, Hoffbaked, and so on....

Flo The Action

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:
PTFlea wrote:Definitely.  I think everyone's very pleased to move on from that one and now move into what could be a tougher one with Ceci after Dekeyser's Great Day.

Oh, crap, you're right.  How much is mama's cooking worth to Cody, I wonder?  Sens have $8.8M cap space left.  If Ceci gets anywhere near $5M they will be just $4M under the cap.  Last year only 13 teams in the league were under $5M in cap room.  Toronto were almost exactly at $4M and were 10th highest (cap) in the league.  Could be the Sens will be in the top-third or very close.  What does that do to the "budget" talk?

Nothing?

OTT has done nothing but lock up all its key young players, year over year, since people starting talking about this. And you're right, I think Ceci earns at least a $3 mil / year deal, pushing our cap up to $68~ mil.

The problem is people say' budget' and they don't have a clear idea of what they're actually trying to communicate. I believe the Sens have an internal budget, under the cap but well over the floor. But if your budget is $70~ mil ish, which is what it's looking like at this point, and your cap is $73 mil, then it's a pretty minute point to insist on. Meaningless, really.

Anyway, we've been smart with our cap and salary commitments long term. Turris and Stone will need new contracts in 2 years, and so will Anderson (or we'll need a new goalie). Karlsson (and Methot, if he's still here) are up the year after that. The people who think the Sens don't spend on UFA day because they're cheap are myopic and just don't see the long term impact of stupid UFA spending. Do you think that, if NYI could go back in time, they would still give out $9 mil /yr to Grabo and Kulemin via UFA if they had realized it would cost them Okposo?

People can be so stubborn and short sighted on this question.
I think that's a crock of Dung. Yeah we all know the org operates under their own budget and you can't be counting players new contracts in 2 -3 years. You know what other teams do when they operate closer to the cap ceiling because of FA? They end up trading players and recuperating assets. So sorry if I don't buy into that scenario that we are holding off for future contracts. We could easily invest on a one or two year contract on a guy like Hudler for the third line and not have a problem with the cap.
And the isles had the space to resign okposo, they too operate under a self imposed budget. They were the masters of their own destiny and their own budget cost them. I wouldn't place the blame on just sayin they made bad decisions.

Truth is this self imposed budget IS hampering us from putting he best competitive team out there.
It plays into how we handle making trades(like having to move out our bad contracts in one like the phaneuf trade) so don't start coming in here telling anyone that's got a problem with the budget mentality that they are day dreaming. That's bull

People think Dung average players like Hudler would suddenly propel us to some higher level?

Rooneypoo's post was 100% correct. A small market, retooling, Canadian team operating on a slight budget is 100% fair especially given the contracts we need to dish out soon.
I'm not saying it would propel the team but when your Gm comes out saying the team is in win now mode yet we aren't. Filling in spots with the best possible players I'm left thinking where the budget comes in. the third line RW spot is still wide open hoping someone takes it but that's just hoping. If we were really all in we'd try to fill that void with someone that could right now make us better. We should of went after someone like a Brower. Fact is we didn't. We could be more competitive if in fact we are in win now mode, but something is holding us back.... I wonder what it is...

Flo The Action

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
PTFlea wrote:I'll take Suter at his full contract today and be very pleased about it.
A Suter Karlsson pairing... Oh man....

Flo The Action

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
spader wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Name one fan in Minnesota that is happy about the Suter/Parise contracts. The Sens are doing it right. No complaints here.

I agree with this for sure. Suter isn't too bad, but the Parise deal is atrocious. That deal might single-handedly keep them out of contention. Well, that and Pominville.  Sarcasm

I understand what Minnesota did. They went all in. Their window closed and some of their players aged. They need a serious retool now to get younger. You can't expect all teams that go all in to actually win it.mfor some it will work, for others no. It didn't pan out for minny.

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Michallica wrote:
spader wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
spader wrote:
Michallica wrote:My $0.02....Hoffman got a tad bit overpaid.  $5M was the max he deserved.  And the fact his salary jumps from $3.8M to $5.6M tells me this will be another prove it type of year or he's gonna get traded next summer.  

All things considered, I'm glad they got him signed and ppl can finally stfu about losing hoffman or going to arb with him.  And now I can finally change my username......

Hofferino?

Hoffenfeffer?!?!

Hoffilious?

All are worthy candidates.  It will definitely be a pun of some sort.

Hoff'n'Hoff, Hoffwiththeirheads, JackHoff, Hoff-Rocket Hoff-Man, Hoff-Man Hoff-Machine, Hoffenweizer, Hoffbaked, and so on....

A bit long but how about 'HoffAnPhaneufAnBlowYourHouseDown'?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Michallica wrote:
spader wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
spader wrote:
Michallica wrote:My $0.02....Hoffman got a tad bit overpaid.  $5M was the max he deserved.  And the fact his salary jumps from $3.8M to $5.6M tells me this will be another prove it type of year or he's gonna get traded next summer.  

All things considered, I'm glad they got him signed and ppl can finally stfu about losing hoffman or going to arb with him.  And now I can finally change my username......

Hofferino?

Hoffenfeffer?!?!

Hoffilious?

All are worthy candidates.  It will definitely be a pun of some sort.

Hoff'n'Hoff, Hoffwiththeirheads, JackHoff, Hoff-Rocket Hoff-Man, Hoff-Man Hoff-Machine, Hoffenweizer, Hoffbaked, and so on....

I got one.


Are you ready?


Here it comes.

Hoffside. BOOM!


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

SensHulk

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
Michallica wrote:
spader wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
spader wrote:
Michallica wrote:My $0.02....Hoffman got a tad bit overpaid.  $5M was the max he deserved.  And the fact his salary jumps from $3.8M to $5.6M tells me this will be another prove it type of year or he's gonna get traded next summer.  

All things considered, I'm glad they got him signed and ppl can finally stfu about losing hoffman or going to arb with him.  And now I can finally change my username......

Hofferino?

Hoffenfeffer?!?!

Hoffilious?

All are worthy candidates.  It will definitely be a pun of some sort.

Hoff'n'Hoff, Hoffwiththeirheads, JackHoff, Hoff-Rocket Hoff-Man, Hoff-Man Hoff-Machine, Hoffenweizer, Hoffbaked, and so on....

I got one.


Are you ready?


Here it comes.

Hoffside. BOOM!

LOL nice. Hook me up Prags, how do I change my username? SHoudl I just PM you?

spader

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Michallica wrote:
spader wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
spader wrote:
Michallica wrote:My $0.02....Hoffman got a tad bit overpaid.  $5M was the max he deserved.  And the fact his salary jumps from $3.8M to $5.6M tells me this will be another prove it type of year or he's gonna get traded next summer.  

All things considered, I'm glad they got him signed and ppl can finally stfu about losing hoffman or going to arb with him.  And now I can finally change my username......

Hofferino?

Hoffenfeffer?!?!

Hoffilious?

All are worthy candidates.  It will definitely be a pun of some sort.

Hoff'n'Hoff, Hoffwiththeirheads, JackHoff, Hoff-Rocket Hoff-Man, Hoff-Man Hoff-Machine, Hoffenweizer, Hoffbaked, and so on....

DeusHoffMachina?

Pays homage to your current name too.

spader

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Name one fan in Minnesota that is happy about the Suter/Parise contracts. The Sens are doing it right. No complaints here.

I agree with this for sure. Suter isn't too bad, but the Parise deal is atrocious. That deal might single-handedly keep them out of contention. Well, that and Pominville.  Sarcasm

I understand what Minnesota did. They went all in. Their window closed and some of their players aged. They need a serious retool now to get younger. You can't expect all teams that go all in to actually win it.mfor some it will work, for others no. It didn't pan out for minny.
Oh for sure. They went for it, and there's nothing wrong with that. Parise was elite when they made that deal, but it's an anchor now. He may still look like a 20-year old, but he's getting up there and is signed until his early 60s.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 65 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum