You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Expansion Draft - 2017

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

16 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:02 am

Ev


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Prager, you are off by one year. It is 3 years by the time of the expansion draft. Therefore, Lazar is not exempt but O'Connor, Paul, White, Chabot, etc. are exempt.

17 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:40 am

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
Oglethorpe wrote:
wprager wrote:1st and 2nd year players are exempt.  If a prospect had his 9 games this past season and gets into a few more games this coming season, does that make them a third-year player when the expansion draft rolls around?  If so, that probably means those players won't get any games in the NHL this season.  I think we're fine with Chabot and White, but what about a guy like O'Connor?  He got into a game last season.  If he gets into any games this year, does that mean he is not exempt?

Nick Paul is exempt right now, but if he plays this coming season, I think that means he is no-longer exempt.  Which, I guess, is a good thing for Puempel and McCormick (assuming they keep Paul in Bingo all of next season).
You do realize that the AHL is a professional league and counts the same as an NHL season.  

I always assumed that NHL draft eligibility would depend on NHL years of service. Guess I was wrong.

18 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:49 am

Flo The Action


All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
wprager wrote:1st and 2nd year players are exempt.  If a prospect had his 9 games this past season and gets into a few more games this coming season, does that make them a third-year player when the expansion draft rolls around?  If so, that probably means those players won't get any games in the NHL this season.  I think we're fine with Chabot and White, but what about a guy like O'Connor?  He got into a game last season.  If he gets into any games this year, does that mean he is not exempt?

Nick Paul is exempt right now, but if he plays this coming season, I think that means he is no-longer exempt.  Which, I guess, is a good thing for Puempel and McCormick (assuming they keep Paul in Bingo all of next season).
You do realize that the AHL is a professional league and counts the same as an NHL season.  

I always assumed that NHL draft eligibility would depend on NHL years of service.  Guess I was wrong.
I thought so too. Isn't it?

19 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:52 am

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Ev wrote:Prager, you are off by one year. It is 3 years by the time of the expansion draft. Therefore, Lazar is not exempt but O'Connor, Paul, White, Chabot, etc. are exempt.

It said first and second year players are exempt. The draft will not be this summer but next. O'Connor played this past season (both AHL and NHL) and next season he will be in his second year. Does he still count as a "second year player" at the completion of the second year?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

20 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:54 am

Flo The Action

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:Prager, you are off by one year. It is 3 years by the time of the expansion draft. Therefore, Lazar is not exempt but O'Connor, Paul, White, Chabot, etc. are exempt.

It said first and second year players are exempt.  The draft will not be this summer but next.  O'Connor played this past season (both AHL and NHL) and next season he will be in his second year.  Does he still count as a "second year player" at the completion of the second year?
Man, even if they took O'connor that would probably be great. Better him than others. I know he might turn out but last year wasn't encouraging

21 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:56 am

spader

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:Prager, you are off by one year. It is 3 years by the time of the expansion draft. Therefore, Lazar is not exempt but O'Connor, Paul, White, Chabot, etc. are exempt.

It said first and second year players are exempt.  The draft will not be this summer but next.  O'Connor played this past season (both AHL and NHL) and next season he will be in his second year.  Does he still count as a "second year player" at the completion of the second year?
Man, even if they took O'connor that would probably be great. Better him than others. I know he might turn out but last year wasn't encouraging

Goalies take time.

22 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:09 pm

SeawaySensFan

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:Prager, you are off by one year. It is 3 years by the time of the expansion draft. Therefore, Lazar is not exempt but O'Connor, Paul, White, Chabot, etc. are exempt.

It said first and second year players are exempt.  The draft will not be this summer but next.  O'Connor played this past season (both AHL and NHL) and next season he will be in his second year.  Does he still count as a "second year player" at the completion of the second year?
Man, even if they took O'connor that would probably be great. Better him than others. I know he might turn out but last year wasn't encouraging

Goalies take time.

I find it's tough to evaluate them on their AHL performance. He might still be a great NHL goalie in spite of a bad AHL showing.

23 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:23 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
I'm not throwing away all those previous evaluations based on how he did in his first pro season on a really bad team. For now this is still the guy who was coveted by all 30 GMs in the league. No, he could not be a starter in the NHL, even for an expansion team, but he could certainly be a backup.

There are quite a few details here.

For example:

- A minimum of two forwards and one defenceman must be exposed who have played 40 games the previous season, or a total of 70 over the previous two (the 40/70 players have to be under contract for the expansion season).

- Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

- Each existing NHL club could lose just one player maximum in a potential expansion draft.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

24 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Ev

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:Prager, you are off by one year. It is 3 years by the time of the expansion draft. Therefore, Lazar is not exempt but O'Connor, Paul, White, Chabot, etc. are exempt.

It said first and second year players are exempt.  The draft will not be this summer but next.  O'Connor played this past season (both AHL and NHL) and next season he will be in his second year.  Does he still count as a "second year player" at the completion of the second year?

Yes. he will be a second year player because he played two years.

Lazar won't be because he played 3.

25 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:51 pm

SensHulk

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
How does the drafting process actually work? Will Las Vegas just have a pool of players to choose from the entire league and they'll just base their roster from that pool? Wondering if there's a chance they pick nobody from the sens, or they have to poach at least one player from each team....

26 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Ev

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Michallica wrote:How does the drafting process actually work?  Will Las Vegas just have a pool of players to choose from the entire league and they'll just base their roster from that pool?  Wondering if there's a chance they pick nobody from the sens, or they have to poach at least one player from each team....

Yes, has to be one per team. They will have a pool of all the guys eligible then they will craft their team.

27 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:32 pm

Flo The Action

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:Prager, you are off by one year. It is 3 years by the time of the expansion draft. Therefore, Lazar is not exempt but O'Connor, Paul, White, Chabot, etc. are exempt.

It said first and second year players are exempt.  The draft will not be this summer but next.  O'Connor played this past season (both AHL and NHL) and next season he will be in his second year.  Does he still count as a "second year player" at the completion of the second year?
Man, even if they took O'connor that would probably be great. Better him than others. I know he might turn out but last year wasn't encouraging

Goalies take time.
Yeah but how old is he? 24-25? I'm not saying he won't pan out, he probably needs more seasoning.mhut lets just say he didn't make a very smooth transition to the AHL.

28 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:36 pm

Flo The Action

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:How does the drafting process actually work?  Will Las Vegas just have a pool of players to choose from the entire league and they'll just base their roster from that pool?  Wondering if there's a chance they pick nobody from the sens, or they have to poach at least one player from each team....

Yes, has to be one per team. They will have a pool of all the guys eligible then they will craft their team.
So they will have a pool of 30 guys? So technically they will have to send at least 7 guys to their AHL club that has had 2 years of hockey in the pros? Is that what's going on? Because I imagine they won't be allowed to carry 30 player roster.

29 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:38 pm

spader

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
I'm not certain that they are required to select one from each team. Anyone have confirmation on that?

30 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Flo The Action

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
spader wrote:I'm not certain that they are required to select one from each team. Anyone have confirmation on that?
Yeah seems to me like that's the problem. Unless they can send 7 guys to the AHL. And I imagine they will be carefully picking 7 guys that should be in the AHL.

31 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:37 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
spader wrote:I'm not certain that they are required to select one from each team. Anyone have confirmation on that?

Umm, that link I posted?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

32 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:39 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:I'm not certain that they are required to select one from each team. Anyone have confirmation on that?
Yeah seems to me like that's the problem. Unless they can send 7 guys to the AHL. And I imagine they will be carefully picking 7 guys that should be in the AHL.

After the expansion draft there will also be an entry draft, and they will select another 7 players there. Then there's free agents from the NCAA, Europe and undrafted CHL players. The object of the game will be to have up to 50 players under contract.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

33 Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:05 pm

spader

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Are there AHL teams that aren't affiliated with NHL teams right now? Or do they need to expand that league as well?

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum