Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54245
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by PTFlea on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:56 am

wprager wrote:Smith would be better suited on the third line out fourth line center, depending on whether Mac can play.  Pyatt would sit.
    Pyatt isn't going to sit, you can take that to the bank.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16256
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Flo The Action wrote:Mac is the depth they will be adding in the bottom 6. What they need is to add someone in the top 6.
    It's freaking obvious, why it's not to them is ridiculous, almost insulting. It's almost as if they are satisfied being an average team. And as the season average will turn into mediocre.

You act as if it's easy to just add a top 6 forward.  Also, they can't afford to take on more salary, especially given that they'll be paying Mac soon (I assume he's been covered by insurance). This is still a young team...A little bit of patience is required here. Dorion's not shy to make deals, but he's gotta wait for the right ones. Do you see other teams making a ton of trades right now?

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:12 pm

wprager wrote:O'Connor back to Bingo. Driediger recalled.  As much as Condon has done for the Sens, maybe he needs a break. Last night was not good.

Condon's had one of these stinkers from time to time, no reason to think he won't bounce back.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10038
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:46 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:O'Connor back to Bingo. Driediger recalled.  As much as Condon has done for the Sens, maybe he needs a break. Last night was not good.

Condon's had one of these stinkers from time to time, no reason to think he won't bounce back.

Of course. Happens to every goalie. Braden Holtby is having an unreal month. 3 shutouts, 1.00 GAA, 6 wins in 7 starts. 7 total goals against this month. Just lights out. The game he didn't win he let 3 goals in on 8 shots and got pulled after a period. Even the best goalies have stinkers.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47682
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:55 pm

PTFlea wrote:
    wprager wrote:Smith would be better suited on the third line out fourth line center, depending on whether Mac can play.  Pyatt would sit.
    Pyatt isn't going to sit, you can take that to the bank.

If our left wing depth is Landeskog, Hoffman, MacArthur, Smith then, yes, he is sitting

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:57 pm

tim1_2 wrote:

For sure. Still may need a break once in a while.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12928
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:17 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:Mac is the depth they will be adding in the bottom 6. What they need is to add someone in the top 6.
    It's freaking obvious, why it's not to them is ridiculous, almost insulting. It's almost as if they are satisfied being an average team. And as the season average will turn into mediocre.

You act as if it's easy to just add a top 6 forward.  Also, they can't afford to take on more salary, especially given that they'll be paying Mac soon (I assume he's been covered by insurance). This is still a young team...A little bit of patience is required here. Dorion's not shy to make deals, but he's gotta wait for the right ones. Do you see other teams making a ton of trades right now?

I think it could be easier than it is for us. We do have cap space but we have a cheapskate of an owner that refuses to take on salary. I think he's the biggest imparement to this team. We have a first round pick to move, we have prospects and player. There's starting to be high caliber players available.

The problem is we aren't playing a levelled field because of ownership. We'll likely never win because of this and we haven't yet, but we could be looking to lose karlsson if this is how we operate. Why on earth should he stay with the sens and waste his career when we have an owner that won't put all allowable resources on the table? I won't blame him if he leaves but I'll make sure to voice my opinion before then on the sens platforms of my displeasure and how I will not give them a penny until they change their operations.
    As. U have as it sucks for the players maybe not going to games is the only way fans get to express their distaste for how this team is being run.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

I think it could be easier than it is for us. We do have cap space but we have a cheapskate of an owner that refuses to take on salary. I think he's the biggest imparement to this team. We have a first round pick to move, we have prospects and player. There's starting to be high caliber players available.

The problem is we aren't playing a levelled field because of ownership. We'll likely never win because of this and we haven't yet, but we could be looking to lose karlsson if this is how we operate. Why on earth should he stay with the sens and waste his career when we have an owner that won't put all allowable resources on the table? I won't blame him if he leaves but I'll make sure to voice my opinion before then on the sens platforms of my displeasure and how I will not give them a penny until they change their operations.
    As. U have as it sucks for the players maybe not going to games is the only way fans get to express their distaste for how this team is being run.

Listen, I like to trash Eugene as much as anybody here, but there's no reason to suddenly hit the panic button after a loss to the Leafs in January. Like I said, no one is making trades right now. Give it another two months.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

Please look at this closely. This is what can happen when you just spend money at the drop of the hat. Melnyk might be cheap, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The time has to be right for us to add considerable salary, then you have to actually make a trade for a big fish which is hard enough in itself.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:51 pm

PTFlea wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

Please look at this closely.  This is what can happen when you just spend money at the drop of the hat.  Melnyk might be cheap, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  The time has to be right for us to add considerable salary, then you have to actually make a trade for a big fish which is hard enough in itself.

No one is saying spend money at the drop of a hat but it's a well known fact around the NHL that any trade with the Ottawa senators has to be money in money out. It's freaking handcuffs.
    Im not saying be a cap team just to be a cap team. But at one point you have to say that there shouldn't be any more financial constraints on a team past what other teams are facing.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:57 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Listen, I like to trash Eugene as much as anybody here, but there's no reason to suddenly hit the panic button after a loss to the Leafs in January.  Like I said, no one is making trades right now.  Give it another two months.

This isn't the panic button. This is the sell button for Eugene to press. It's the button that's been painfully obvious he should be pressing for years now. It's also the button that should have been pressed when the org couldn't go through a rebuild because they constantly have to try to make the playoffs to make enough money. We're going to continue to be a mediocre team until financially things change here.

I do not believe that when the time is right to make trades and trades are happening that we will be in on the right ones because of these financial constraints.

This whole dialogue that this team is in win mode now only works if it has the proper backing. I had no problem waiting things out a little longer but this isn't what the org placed itself into doing. It's like we have one foot in and one foot out. And that foot out is handcuffed.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:10 pm

I'd love him to sell the team.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24760
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:43 pm

PTFlea wrote:I'd love him to sell the team.

Oh yeah? Who's buying?!
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Well didn't that consortium that had the second proposal for lebretton say they wanted to buy the team?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:20 pm

They lost the bid.

Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1853
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:30 pm

If they had won I think the team would be in Quebec City before the rink was built.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1853
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:32 pm

This market is bad, can't even sell out the home opener, I wouldn't spend more if I was the owner.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:47 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I'd love him to sell the team.

Oh yeah? Who's buying?!
    I would imagine canadian tire would investigate.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:31 pm