GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47948
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

Post by wprager on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:38 pm

I think the seating capacity needs to be aligned with your customer base size. No matter the size of the arena you want to always be sold out and always have people walk away from the ticket outlet disappointed they could not score a pair of tickets. No matter how bad the product, if there is always a shortage of available tickets then you will have demand (Leafs). They can't increase the Ottawa area population, so they decrease the number of seats. Doing it by creating different areas (lounges, more bars, etc.) will allow you to increase the seating capacity at some later time.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16325
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:40 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Yeah...I'm more likely to just head to a game after work if the arena is downtown, and make an evening of it.  The move will likely solve all the attendance issues.  Hopefully the team doesn't go bankrupt between now and then.

I guess the key to preventing that would be to win a Stanley cup. Sarcasm

If you want people to buy your product, you build a good product. Let's get that Cup.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:41 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah...I'm more likely to just head to a game after work if the arena is downtown, and make an evening of it.  The move will likely solve all the attendance issues.  Hopefully the team doesn't go bankrupt between now and then.

There just aren't enough thick and thin fans in and around town to fill a rink, no matter where it's located. I think the novelty of a new arena will draw big crowds for about 3 years but I'm not sure how it will go beyond that.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:00 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:

There just aren't enough thick and thin fans in and around town to fill a rink, no matter where it's located. I think the novelty of a new arena will draw big crowds for about 3 years but I'm not sure how it will go beyond that.

Well we'll see...if the team gets and remains pretty competitive, that will build the fan base. If we remain mediocre for a long period of time, that'll kill the fan base. The team just hasn't been around long enough with enough sustained success to build up the die-hard crowd.

If downtown Ottawa is a booming place in 10 years, and the Public Service is in good shape, that'll bode well. Now, once the clock strikes 5ish, downtown can get pretty empty on a cool winter evening.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13116
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:10 pm

wprager wrote:I think the seating capacity needs to be aligned with your customer base size.  No matter the size of the arena you want to always be sold out and always have people walk away from the ticket outlet disappointed they could not score a pair of tickets.  No matter how bad the product, if there is always a shortage of available tickets then you will have demand (Leafs).  They can't increase the Ottawa area population, so they decrease the number of seats.  Doing it by creating different areas (lounges, more bars, etc.) will allow you to increase the seating capacity at some later time.

I'm sorry but dollar wise, that makes no sense. There are ways to cut back on services to people in the arena if it isn't full to out way the seats being empty. I'm not saying make it. 50,000 seater but if you build it to be able to reach a certain capacity one day all the costs involved in maintaining the arena are the same. You are literally refusing money at the door when it reaches capacity on some nights. And there are some pretty good chances that it will do so when it opens downtown. Absolutely makes no sense financially if all you are doing is creating a demand that isn't served.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:12 pm

I worked in the entertainment industry for some years doing booking and you would never book a band in a venue you knew was going to be sold out in advance. If it did, you tried your best to relocate to a bigger venue. If there are increased sales to be made, you make them. Just simple math.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:22 pm

My wife just went to try and buy a suite for the Tim McGraw/Faith hill concert next June or July or whenever it is, and Capital Tickets makes you also buy the same suite for one Sens game in the first half of November (they offered four dates). Combined cost for the suite was something like $5500 and you get 16 tickets to each event. She had enough people for the concert, but I told her there's no real way for me to line up 16 people at around $170 a ticket to go watch a Sens game on a couple weeks' notice.

Needless to say, she's pursuing other options for the concert tickets.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:54 pm

tim1_2 wrote:My wife just went to try and buy a suite for the Tim McGraw/Faith hill concert next June or July or whenever it is, and Capital Tickets makes you also buy the same suite for one Sens game in the first half of November (they offered four dates).  Combined cost for the suite was something like $5500 and you get 16 tickets to each event.  She had enough people for the concert, but I told her there's no real way for me to line up 16 people at around $170 a ticket to go watch a Sens game on a couple weeks' notice.  

Yeah that's not cheap. If they are that large a group being in the stands will be just as fun.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:35 pm

tim1_2 wrote:My wife just went to try and buy a suite for the Tim McGraw/Faith hill concert next June or July or whenever it is, and Capital Tickets makes you also buy the same suite for one Sens game in the first half of November (they offered four dates).  Combined cost for the suite was something like $5500 and you get 16 tickets to each event.  She had enough people for the concert, but I told her there's no real way for me to line up 16 people at around $170 a ticket to go watch a Sens game on a couple weeks' notice.  

Purchasing ticket to a suite? That's fancy.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:44 pm

spader wrote:

Purchasing ticket to a suite? That's fancy.

Well Tim McGraw is her favourite and the regular tickets are no doubt ungodly expensive anyway. Suites are wonderful things...your own waitress, your own bathroom...truly the lap of luxury. And she had it lined up to split the bill 16 ways.

So yeah, not meant to be. They'll be in with the unwashed masses.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    wprager wrote:I think the seating capacity needs to be aligned with your customer base size.  No matter the size of the arena you want to always be sold out and always have people walk away from the ticket outlet disappointed they could not score a pair of tickets.  No matter how bad the product, if there is always a shortage of available tickets then you will have demand (Leafs).  They can't increase the Ottawa area population, so they decrease the number of seats.  Doing it by creating different areas (lounges, more bars, etc.) will allow you to increase the seating capacity at some later time.

I'm sorry but dollar wise, that makes no sense. There are ways to cut back on services to people in the arena if it isn't full to out way the seats being empty. I'm not saying make it. 50,000 seater but if you build it to be able to reach a certain capacity one day all the costs involved in maintaining the arena are the same. You are literally refusing money at the door when it reaches capacity on some nights. And there are some pretty good chances that it will do so when it opens downtown. Absolutely makes no sense financially if all you are doing is creating a demand that isn't served.

Well places like Florida the demand is low and they end up giving tickets away to draw people in. If a smaller arena was enough to make going to hockey the *IN* thing to do they'd remove some seats in a blink of an eye. Obviously it's not going to work in all places. But here, in Ottawa, they'd rather a sellout of 17,400 every night than an arena that sits 22,000 with 4,000 empty seats all the time. It doesn't look good to have empty seats, there is no competition for tickets, it's not the *IN* thing to do. So they end up giving tickets away to fill the seats. That works for a while but STH complain that they pay premium prices when joe-blow gets a free or cheap ticket. Next thing you know the STH doesn't renew his package and people wait for $25 or free tickets and then you have 5000 empty seats instead of 4000 and so on. So they would prefer to keep demand high by limiting supply rather than dropping prices.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:17 pm

Flo The Action wrote:I worked in the entertainment industry for some years doing booking and you would never book a band in a venue you knew was going to be sold out in advance. If it did, you tried your best to relocate to a bigger venue. If there are increased sales to be made, you make them. Just simple math.

Sure, one-time event. What if you had to book the same act for 41 nights over 7 months?

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:19 pm

wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:I worked in the entertainment industry for some years doing booking and you would never book a band in a venue you knew was going to be sold out in advance. If it did, you tried your best to relocate to a bigger venue. If there are increased sales to be made, you make them. Just simple math.

Sure, one-time event.  What if you had to book the same act for 41 nights over 7 months?
    Same point. The building doesn't change neither does how you utilize it. I could see the difference in if they had to have a bigger or smaller building but if they can reconfigure the seats to have more at a latter date than you are wasting. The costs to maintain and service the building will be the same. Just less chance of revenue. So what if you don't sell out on most night. As long as it's more seats sold than you would sell on a smaller arena.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:51 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Sure, one-time event.  What if you had to book the same act for 41 nights over 7 months?
    Same point. The building doesn't change neither does how you utilize it. I could see the difference in if they had to have a bigger or smaller building but if they can reconfigure the seats to have more at a latter date than you are wasting. The costs to maintain and service the building will be the same. Just less chance of revenue. So what if you don't sell out on most night. As long as it's more seats sold than you would sell on a smaller arena.

What changes is that it becomes routine, and not an *event*. If you can pick up a pair of tickets any time you want (without paying a premium to the scalpers) then you start taking it for granted instead of planning for it in advance. It does make a difference.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:34 am

wprager wrote:

Maybe this is what got Sloodge the pink slip?
    Hobiesens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 806
    Registration date : 2008-11-06

Post by Hobiesens on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:14 am

wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    wprager wrote:

What changes is that it becomes routine, and not an *event*.  If you can pick up a pair of tickets any time you want (without paying a premium to the scalpers) then you start taking it for granted instead of planning for it in advance.  It does make a difference.

I was at the Preds game last Friday in Nashville and that was an event. When I go to a Sens game I look forward to it and I normally leave happy with the fact that it was nice to attend. When I left the Preds game I couldn't wait to go back, unfortunately I don't live there. The Preds put on a great show, the fans go crazy and the atmosphere is the best that I've ever seen compared to Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Toronto, Detroit and Buffalo. Two of the guys I was with have season tickets and both were in awe of how much fun going to the game was. It's a great fan experience and I cannot say the same about the Sens games. Another big part of it is that the Preds arena is downtown, right on the strip so people have some dinner and a few drinks and walk down to the game. This is so much better than hauling out to Kanata for a Friday night game.
    Another guy who I was with has been to 7 Preds games and said they are all the same, doesn't matter if it's a Wednesday night in January, the fans are very knowledgeable and hooked on hockey.
    The Sens should send some of their staff to different arenas to see how to really put on a good show.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1950
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:43 am

Hobiesens wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    wprager wrote:

What changes is that it becomes routine, and not an *event*.  If you can pick up a pair of tickets any time you want (without paying a premium to the scalpers) then you start taking it for granted instead of planning for it in advance.  It does make a difference.

I was at the Preds game last Friday in Nashville and that was an event. When I go to a Sens game I look forward to it and I normally leave happy with the fact that it was nice to attend. When I left the Preds game I couldn't wait to go back, unfortunately I don't live there. The Preds put on a great show, the fans go crazy and the atmosphere is the best that I've ever seen compared to Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Toronto, Detroit and Buffalo. Two of the guys I was with have season tickets and both were in awe of how much fun going to the game was. It's a great fan experience and I cannot say the same about the Sens games. Another big part of it is that the Preds arena is downtown, right on the strip so people have some dinner and a few drinks and walk down to the game. This is so much better than hauling out to Kanata for a Friday night game.
    Another guy who I was with has been to 7 Preds games and said they are all the same, doesn't matter if it's a Wednesday night in January, the fans are very knowledgeable and hooked on hockey.
    The Sens should send some of their staff to different arenas to see how to really put on a good show.

I mentioned this a few years back when the discussion of LeBreton was just beginning. Fact is the in-game experience in Ottawa sucks. The games aren't fun. There is nothing to do between periods and getting to the game and leaving is a nightmare. I am better off staying at home where beer isn't $10, on my comfortable couch, and I don't need to travel.

Right now the Sens games attracts fans - not the casual fan who will walk by the arena with their friends and say "hey, let's go to a game tonight". The Blue Jays were very much the same back in the day. They would get their 10-15K fans. If you were in the mood you could walk up to the stadium and buy tickets. There is no chance of the casual fan doing this in Kanata. You have to drive out there, pay for parking, and then take a chance on buying a ticket. I am sure Melnyk understands this and will make LeBretron a landmark. We are also having this discussion after the Arizona game. People in Arizona don't even like Arizona. As a fan I would much rather see Tampa Bay, Boston, Detroit, etc than Arizona. I wouldn't waste the gas money to go to the game.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:15 pm

TSN 1200 asked this on facebook and I would say 90% of the answers (and there were lots of them) say it's become too expensive, between the parking, food etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:28 am