GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Share

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54631
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:38 am

    Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    MarkStone wrote:It's time to upgrade the goaltending. I'd make a big pitch for fleury.
    Sideways move at best. Anderson will pick it up. If we go after a goaltender we might as well target bishop.

    Yeah, you're not the first to suggest that and I agree.  If you can get him and it doesn't cost the farm...or as a free agent.
    Or I keep repeating it often enough... Sarcasm

    Tampa's gonna trade him, but if he's not gone by now, I wonder what the cost is.  Sky high, I would guess.
    6 mill per on a 5 year contract is my guess. I think I heard some rumblings coming out about that when he was almost traded to Calgary. I think Elliot will Crap the bed in cal. Not nearly the defensive structure he's used to having in st-Louis. They should have paid more for bishop.
    I thought he wanted 7 million long term?  I can't be bothered looking it up now, but I'm pretty sure

    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by LeCaptain on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:43 am

    They will probably wait for the "system" to be fully in place first and if the goaltending still sucks by then I agree it needs to be adressed.

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by wprager on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:13 am

    We're 3-1 coming out of the gate with our #1 goalie and best winger having missed camp, our second pairing not playing as well as we've seen them play, another top-six winger not playing at all, a new system from a complete new coaching staff being implemented, several new players (Kelly, Pyatt, Varone) and missing our #1 anthem singer at home games. I think we've been very fortunate with the schedule (Leafs, no-Price-Habs, Detroit, Arizona) and we've taken advantage of it. The new system will take 10-15 games before we see consistent improvements -- I don't think we have seen them yet.

    The powerplay was humming in the pre-season but (despite looking pretty good) it has not clicked very much (yet) in the first 4 games.

    The PK has been pretty good except for one game.

    Our 16 goals leads the league, I believe (NHL stats page has us at 9, so not fully updated but I checked scores from last night and I believe our 16 is tops right now) and 4 goals/game is top-three.

    Our goals against is in the bottom-third, that has to improve.

    Erik Karlsson is tied for second in the league in points (some stats not updated and I didn't check all scores from last night but Burns is at 9 and Karlsson/Marchand are at 7).

    Karlsson is taking a fairly regular shift on the PK and is *leading* the league (tied with Marchand) in +/- (the reigning Norris winner is at -1 -- let's see how well he does without Quick behind him).

    It's way too early to draw any meaningful conclusions but 3-1? Yeah, I'll take that.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16498
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by tim1_2 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:24 am

    3-1 feels good, but as you say, the competition hasn't been that great yet.

    I find the Anderson talk hilarious as usual. Give him a bit of time, he'll get in a groove.

    Chabot had 7 minutes of ice time.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54631
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 am

    Definitely happy to bank 6 of 8 points so far.

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2032
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:50 am

    tim1_2 wrote:3-1 feels good, but as you say, the competition hasn't been that great yet.

    I find the Anderson talk hilarious as usual.  Give him a bit of time, he'll get in a groove.  

    Chabot had 7 minutes of ice time.  

    Offensively Chabot looked pretty good. He will get eaten up taken regular shifts defensively. Imagine him trying to defend bigger players in the corner.

    As for Anderson that first goal he should have had (dropped a puck from his trapper) and he is still horrendous going side to side. I could see this as being his last year as a starter.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 46
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:14 am

    "Pyes" Pyatt led all forwards in ice time last night. Pretty sure PTFlea didn't want him on the team, IIRC.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16498
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by tim1_2 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:07 am

    Smith, Turris, Dzingle, Pyatt, Pageau, Kelly, Brassard...these guys look pretty good right now. Assuming we can get Ryan a bit more engaged (unlikely) and fix Hoffman (impossible), then we'll be destined for the promised land!
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 46
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:12 am

    tim1_2 wrote:Smith, Turris, Dzingle, Pyatt, Pageau, Kelly, Brassard...these guys look pretty good right now.  Assuming we can get Ryan a bit more engaged (unlikely) and fix Hoffman (impossible), then we'll be destined for the promised land!

    Speaking of Smith, how is the "regression" everyone (but me) was predicting going so far?

    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16498
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by tim1_2 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:18 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Smith, Turris, Dzingle, Pyatt, Pageau, Kelly, Brassard...these guys look pretty good right now.  Assuming we can get Ryan a bit more engaged (unlikely) and fix Hoffman (impossible), then we'll be destined for the promised land!

    Speaking of Smith, how is the "regression" everyone (but me) was predicting going so far?


    I think most folks around here still think he should be swapped with Dzingle, despite the terrific production and play from both players.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 46
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:40 am

    tim1_2 wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Smith, Turris, Dzingle, Pyatt, Pageau, Kelly, Brassard...these guys look pretty good right now.  Assuming we can get Ryan a bit more engaged (unlikely) and fix Hoffman (impossible), then we'll be destined for the promised land!

    Speaking of Smith, how is the "regression" everyone (but me) was predicting going so far?


    I think most folks around here still think he should be swapped with Dzingle, despite the terrific production and play from both players.

    I like Dzingle. The nice thing about speed is it's a useful asset no matter how little you produce, so he really belongs in the NHL regardless. But the production is some nice gravy for sure.
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 30
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by LeCaptain on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:53 am

    How pathetic was that attendance? Are Ottawa residents struggling financially or what?
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16498
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by tim1_2 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:34 am

    LeCaptain wrote:How pathetic was that attendance? Are Ottawa residents struggling financially or what?

    I think finances are certainly a part of it. I know for me, as a public servant, my salary hasn't really budged in the past few years and it's made things a little tighter than they used to be. Factor in I now have two young kids and everything in life has become more expensive (e.g. the price of steak!), and I just don't have nearly the disposable income I used to have. I took my 7 year old daughter to a preseason game against Montreal. I got us good seats in the 200 levels for about $50 each, but then parking was $15, and popcorn and a drink was like another $15. That's $130 which translates to like a week's worth of groceries (or whatever comparable you want to use). Stittsville and even Kanata now are filled with young families that are likely in a situation similar to myself...and then there's all the retired folks, the majority of whom just don't care about hockey or are Leafs/Habs fans.

    Then there's the owner. Eugene's a bit of a maniac and doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the team's direction.

    Then there's the on-ice product...last year was pretty crappy. Assuming the team can carry on their current winning-ways, I think that'll draw some fans back to the CTC.

    Then there's ticket resellers. More and more people are using StubHub (or whatever) to purchase tickets. It's easier than ever for season ticket holders to resell their tickets...so I generally check StubHub before paying full price to buy direct from the Sens. In previous years, season ticket holders were more likely to attend the game or just give their tickets away to a family member/friend (not people looking to buy tickets), but now they can actually SELL their tickets, reducing the number of people who need to go to the Sens for tickets.

    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by wprager on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:09 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Smith, Turris, Dzingle, Pyatt, Pageau, Kelly, Brassard...these guys look pretty good right now.  Assuming we can get Ryan a bit more engaged (unlikely) and fix Hoffman (impossible), then we'll be destined for the promised land!

    Speaking of Smith, how is the "regression" everyone (but me) was predicting going so far?


    Relax. He has 2 goals. One was a a bank shot off his shinguard and the other a sweet 2-on-1 setup that my grandma probably would have score on. That said, he has shown pretty impressive speed -- that's been somewhat lacking in his game last few years. Especially if you consider that this was the second game in two nights, against a team full of young guns.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16498
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by tim1_2 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:12 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:

    I like Dzingle. The nice thing about speed is it's a useful asset no matter how little you produce, so he really belongs in the NHL regardless. But the production is some nice gravy for sure.

    Did someone say...sausage gravy?



    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16498
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by tim1_2 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:13 pm

    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Smith, Turris, Dzingle, Pyatt, Pageau, Kelly, Brassard...these guys look pretty good right now.  Assuming we can get Ryan a bit more engaged (unlikely) and fix Hoffman (impossible), then we'll be destined for the promised land!

    Speaking of Smith, how is the "regression" everyone (but me) was predicting going so far?


    Relax.  He has 2 goals.  One was a a bank shot off his shinguard and the other a sweet 2-on-1 setup that my grandma probably would have score on.  That said, he has shown pretty impressive speed -- that's been somewhat lacking in his game last few years.  Especially if you consider that this was the second game in two nights, against a team full of young guns.  

    He's shown speed AND had a bunch of other scoring chances.
    avatar
    MarkStone
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 138
    Age : 26
    Location : Hintonburg
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2016-09-27

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by MarkStone on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:35 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:
    LeCaptain wrote:How pathetic was that attendance? Are Ottawa residents struggling financially or what?

    I think finances are certainly a part of it.  I know for me, as a public servant, my salary hasn't really budged in the past few years and it's made things a little tighter than they used to be.  Factor in I now have two young kids and everything in life has become more expensive (e.g. the price of steak!), and I just don't have nearly the disposable income I used to have.  I took my 7 year old daughter to a preseason game against Montreal. I got us good seats in the 200 levels for about $50 each, but then parking was $15, and popcorn and a drink was like another $15.  That's $130 which translates to like a week's worth of groceries (or whatever comparable you want to use).  Stittsville and even Kanata now are filled with young families that are likely in a situation similar to myself...and then there's all the retired folks, the majority of whom just don't care about hockey or are Leafs/Habs fans.  

    Then there's the owner.  Eugene's a bit of a maniac and doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the team's direction.

    Then there's the on-ice product...last year was pretty crappy.  Assuming the team can carry on their current winning-ways, I think that'll draw some fans back to the CTC.

    Then there's ticket resellers.  More and more people are using StubHub (or whatever) to purchase tickets.  It's easier than ever for season ticket holders to resell their tickets...so I generally check StubHub before paying full price to buy direct from the Sens.  In previous years, season ticket holders were more likely to attend the game or just give their tickets away to a family member/friend (not people looking to buy tickets), but now they can actually SELL their tickets, reducing the number of people who need to go to the Sens for tickets.


    Well for the price of that pre-season game, you could have went to two regular season games in the 300s. I don't think it's fare for people to complain about price when they are so cheap compared to other NHL cities.

    Also, not sure why people say it was so crappy last season. They scored a lot of goals and were entertaining.
    avatar
    MarkStone
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 138
    Age : 26
    Location : Hintonburg
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2016-09-27

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by MarkStone on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:37 pm

    also people are just bandwagoners. They were watching the Jays last night so they didn't want to go to the game.

    Sponsored content

    Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:48 pm