Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16493
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:13 pm

wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Smith, Turris, Dzingle, Pyatt, Pageau, Kelly, Brassard...these guys look pretty good right now.  Assuming we can get Ryan a bit more engaged (unlikely) and fix Hoffman (impossible), then we'll be destined for the promised land!

Speaking of Smith, how is the "regression" everyone (but me) was predicting going so far?

Relax.  He has 2 goals.  One was a a bank shot off his shinguard and the other a sweet 2-on-1 setup that my grandma probably would have score on.  That said, he has shown pretty impressive speed -- that's been somewhat lacking in his game last few years.  Especially if you consider that this was the second game in two nights, against a team full of young guns.  

He's shown speed AND had a bunch of other scoring chances.

MarkStone
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 138
    Registration date : 2016-09-27

Post by MarkStone on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:35 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    LeCaptain wrote:How pathetic was that attendance? Are Ottawa residents struggling financially or what?

I think finances are certainly a part of it.  I know for me, as a public servant, my salary hasn't really budged in the past few years and it's made things a little tighter than they used to be.  Factor in I now have two young kids and everything in life has become more expensive (e.g. the price of steak!), and I just don't have nearly the disposable income I used to have.  I took my 7 year old daughter to a preseason game against Montreal. I got us good seats in the 200 levels for about $50 each, but then parking was $15, and popcorn and a drink was like another $15.  That's $130 which translates to like a week's worth of groceries (or whatever comparable you want to use).  Stittsville and even Kanata now are filled with young families that are likely in a situation similar to myself...and then there's all the retired folks, the majority of whom just don't care about hockey or are Leafs/Habs fans.  

Then there's the owner.  Eugene's a bit of a maniac and doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the team's direction.

Then there's the on-ice product...last year was pretty crappy.  Assuming the team can carry on their current winning-ways, I think that'll draw some fans back to the CTC.

Then there's ticket resellers.  More and more people are using StubHub (or whatever) to purchase tickets.  It's easier than ever for season ticket holders to resell their tickets...so I generally check StubHub before paying full price to buy direct from the Sens.  In previous years, season ticket holders were more likely to attend the game or just give their tickets away to a family member/friend (not people looking to buy tickets), but now they can actually SELL their tickets, reducing the number of people who need to go to the Sens for tickets.

Well for the price of that pre-season game, you could have went to two regular season games in the 300s. I don't think it's fare for people to complain about price when they are so cheap compared to other NHL cities.

Also, not sure why people say it was so crappy last season. They scored a lot of goals and were entertaining.

MarkStone
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 138
    Registration date : 2016-09-27

Post by MarkStone on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:37 pm

also people are just bandwagoners. They were watching the Jays last night so they didn't want to go to the game.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:37 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Smith, Turris, Dzingle, Pyatt, Pageau, Kelly, Brassard...these guys look pretty good right now.  Assuming we can get Ryan a bit more engaged (unlikely) and fix Hoffman (impossible), then we'll be destined for the promised land!

Speaking of Smith, how is the "regression" everyone (but me) was predicting going so far?

Relax.  He has 2 goals.  One was a a bank shot off his shinguard and the other a sweet 2-on-1 setup that my grandma probably would have score on.  That said, he has shown pretty impressive speed -- that's been somewhat lacking in his game last few years.  Especially if you consider that this was the second game in two nights, against a team full of young guns.  

He's shown speed AND had a bunch of other scoring chances.

He's put himself in the position to score a couple more that I can remember off of some smart reads. An interesting re-invention for a guy who was already a rugged gamer, this new goal-scorer dimension is a welcome surprise.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:39 pm

LeCaptain wrote:How pathetic was that attendance? Are Ottawa residents struggling financially or what?

I'm hurtin' pretty bad, it's been a tough couple of years for Ole Seaway.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54631
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:42 pm

I assume it's because of the Jays game. The Sens don't have the strongest season ticket base, but we have a pretty powerful walk-up, but that Jays game just shut the city down basically. Plus, it's midweek, plus it's Arizona.

Not great though...
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:44 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:"Pyes" Pyatt led all forwards in ice time last night. Pretty sure PTFlea didn't want him on the team, IIRC.

I didn't want him on the team? I don't see why not...I didn't want him on the third line, but...yeah, he's looked f-ing great.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:47 pm

Ryan has been in the right spots at least and Hoffman was fixed last game, didn't see anything wrong with that. He was one of the better players IMO.

But yeah, hats off to Kelly for coming back from that horrific injury and to Pyatt for coming in from a Swiss league (or whatever) and looking really strong 5 on 5 and PK, Dzingel for coming into camp and continuing his excellent play from last year, Neil for not taking too many bonehead penalties and playing a tough game.

You gotta love the effort from the bottom six!
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:12 pm

PTFlea wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:"Pyes" Pyatt led all forwards in ice time last night. Pretty sure PTFlea didn't want him on the team, IIRC.

I didn't want him on the team?  I don't see why not...I didn't want him on the third line, but...yeah, he's looked f-ing great.

Oooooh, PTFlea...
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:14 pm

PTFlea wrote:I assume it's because of the Jays game.  The Sens don't have the strongest season ticket base, but we have a pretty powerful walk-up, but that Jays game just shut the city down basically.  Plus, it's midweek, plus it's Arizona.

Not great though...

Dung excuse out there. How about focusing on the fact that YOUR OWN team is playing. People are Cussed.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13352
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:22 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I assume it's because of the Jays game.  The Sens don't have the strongest season ticket base, but we have a pretty powerful walk-up, but that Jays game just shut the city down basically.  Plus, it's midweek, plus it's Arizona.

Not great though...

Dung excuse out there. How about focusing on the fact that YOUR OWN team is playing. People are Cussed.
    Personally I like seeing the Dung teams. More chances we pull of a W. Clapping
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:05 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Not great though...

I agree, but I bet that's the mindset of people.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:09 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

Not great though...

Personally I like seeing the Dung teams. More chances we pull of a W. Clapping

Exactly right, FTA. MJ
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16493
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:23 pm

MarkStone wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

I think finances are certainly a part of it.  I know for me, as a public servant, my salary hasn't really budged in the past few years and it's made things a little tighter than they used to be.  Factor in I now have two young kids and everything in life has become more expensive (e.g. the price of steak!), and I just don't have nearly the disposable income I used to have.  I took my 7 year old daughter to a preseason game against Montreal. I got us good seats in the 200 levels for about $50 each, but then parking was $15, and popcorn and a drink was like another $15.  That's $130 which translates to like a week's worth of groceries (or whatever comparable you want to use).  Stittsville and even Kanata now are filled with young families that are likely in a situation similar to myself...and then there's all the retired folks, the majority of whom just don't care about hockey or are Leafs/Habs fans.  

Then there's the owner.  Eugene's a bit of a maniac and doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the team's direction.

Then there's the on-ice product...last year was pretty crappy.  Assuming the team can carry on their current winning-ways, I think that'll draw some fans back to the CTC.

Then there's ticket resellers.  More and more people are using StubHub (or whatever) to purchase tickets.  It's easier than ever for season ticket holders to resell their tickets...so I generally check StubHub before paying full price to buy direct from the Sens.  In previous years, season ticket holders were more likely to attend the game or just give their tickets away to a family member/friend (not people looking to buy tickets), but now they can actually SELL their tickets, reducing the number of people who need to go to the Sens for tickets.

Well for the price of that pre-season game, you could have went to two regular season games in the 300s. I don't think it's fare for people to complain about price when they are so cheap compared to other NHL cities.

Also, not sure why people say it was so crappy last season. They scored a lot of goals and were entertaining.

If you look at what I said, I didn't complain about the ticket prices. I'm just saying that it ends up being a significant amount of money in a city where a high percentage of the population is going paycheck to paycheck or something close to that.

If you remember watching the games in the latter half of last year, it was very frustrating. Sure, there may have been lots of goals, but we were on the wrong side of that equation more often than not.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:28 pm

wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

Laugh1 Prags, you're the only guy on here that does this. Why not just let a goal be a goal? Why do you have to pick them apart and find fault? 

And SSF, people were looking at his shooting percentage and expecting that to come down to earth. It's very unlikely that he'll lead the league again in shooting %. If he drops below the 20+% that he was shooting at last season, his goal total is likely to drop. That's all (some) people were saying. 

FWIW, I think he's likely to be a productive member of the top 6. I just think 25 goals and 20% shooting is unlikely. 

Either way, I'm glad he's finally becoming the player we were waiting for.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13352
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:44 pm

spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

Laugh1 Prags, you're the only guy on here that does this. Why not just let a goal be a goal? Why do you have to pick them apart and find fault? 

And SSF, people were looking at his shooting percentage and expecting that to come down to earth. It's very unlikely that he'll lead the league again in shooting %. If he drops below the 20+% that he was shooting at last season, his goal total is likely to drop. That's all (some) people were saying. 

FWIW, I think he's likely to be a productive member of the top 6. I just think 25 goals and 20% shooting is unlikely. 

We're we waiting for smith to become a top 6? Personally I was quite content with him being an energy player centering the fourth line and complementing with 10'goals or so. But I'll Take the increase! I still do t think he's a legit top 6 player but we'll see.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:58 pm

spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

I've always agreed that the shooting percentage would come down. I just felt that the new confidence in his ability to score would help him maintain 20+ goal scoring potential.

And like I said, the way he reads plays and gets into scoring position just looks like a real goal scorer to me right now, something I hadn't necessarily considered before.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

We're we waiting for smith to become a top 6? Personally I was quite content with him being an energy player centering the fourth line and complementing with 10'goals or so. But I'll Take the increase! I still do t think he's a legit top 6 player but we'll see.

Ever since his first game and the shortie he scored, I thought he had that potential. Maybe not top 6, but definitely a scoring threat on the third line.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:29 am