All-Star

Number of posts : 13120
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Re: GDT - Game #4: Coyotes @ Sens, Oct 18, 2016, 7:30pm

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:44 pm

spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Smith, Turris, Dzingle, Pyatt, Pageau, Kelly, Brassard...these guys look pretty good right now.  Assuming we can get Ryan a bit more engaged (unlikely) and fix Hoffman (impossible), then we'll be destined for the promised land!

Speaking of Smith, how is the "regression" everyone (but me) was predicting going so far?

Relax.  He has 2 goals.  One was a a bank shot off his shinguard and the other a sweet 2-on-1 setup that my grandma probably would have score on.  That said, he has shown pretty impressive speed -- that's been somewhat lacking in his game last few years.  Especially if you consider that this was the second game in two nights, against a team full of young guns.  

Laugh1 Prags, you're the only guy on here that does this. Why not just let a goal be a goal? Why do you have to pick them apart and find fault? 

And SSF, people were looking at his shooting percentage and expecting that to come down to earth. It's very unlikely that he'll lead the league again in shooting %. If he drops below the 20+% that he was shooting at last season, his goal total is likely to drop. That's all (some) people were saying. 

FWIW, I think he's likely to be a productive member of the top 6. I just think 25 goals and 20% shooting is unlikely. 

Either way, I'm glad he's finally becoming the player we were waiting for.
    We're we waiting for smith to become a top 6? Personally I was quite content with him being an energy player centering the fourth line and complementing with 10'goals or so. But I'll Take the increase! I still do t think he's a legit top 6 player but we'll see.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:58 pm

spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Smith, Turris, Dzingle, Pyatt, Pageau, Kelly, Brassard...these guys look pretty good right now.  Assuming we can get Ryan a bit more engaged (unlikely) and fix Hoffman (impossible), then we'll be destined for the promised land!

Speaking of Smith, how is the "regression" everyone (but me) was predicting going so far?

Relax.  He has 2 goals.  One was a a bank shot off his shinguard and the other a sweet 2-on-1 setup that my grandma probably would have score on.  That said, he has shown pretty impressive speed -- that's been somewhat lacking in his game last few years.  Especially if you consider that this was the second game in two nights, against a team full of young guns.  

Laugh1 Prags, you're the only guy on here that does this. Why not just let a goal be a goal? Why do you have to pick them apart and find fault? 

And SSF, people were looking at his shooting percentage and expecting that to come down to earth. It's very unlikely that he'll lead the league again in shooting %. If he drops below the 20+% that he was shooting at last season, his goal total is likely to drop. That's all (some) people were saying. 

FWIW, I think he's likely to be a productive member of the top 6. I just think 25 goals and 20% shooting is unlikely. 

I've always agreed that the shooting percentage would come down. I just felt that the new confidence in his ability to score would help him maintain 20+ goal scoring potential.

And like I said, the way he reads plays and gets into scoring position just looks like a real goal scorer to me right now, something I hadn't necessarily considered before.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

We're we waiting for smith to become a top 6? Personally I was quite content with him being an energy player centering the fourth line and complementing with 10'goals or so. But I'll Take the increase! I still do t think he's a legit top 6 player but we'll see.

Ever since his first game and the shortie he scored, I thought he had that potential. Maybe not top 6, but definitely a scoring threat on the third line.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:48 pm

spader wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

Ever since his first game and the shortie he scored, I thought he had that potential. Maybe not top 6, but definitely a scoring threat on the third line.
    i could agree to that
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:50 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

I've always agreed that the shooting percentage would come down. I just felt that the new confidence in his ability to score would help him maintain 20+ goal scoring potential.

And like I said, the way he reads plays and gets into scoring position just looks like a real goal scorer to me right now, something I hadn't necessarily considered before.
    Valid point. As long as he doesn't loose his confidence.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54423
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:46 pm

I like that he is really strong along the boards and wins those board battles.  And goes to the net too.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:49 am

PTFlea wrote:I assume it's because of the Jays game.  The Sens don't have the strongest season ticket base, but we have a pretty powerful walk-up, but that Jays game just shut the city down basically.  Plus, it's midweek, plus it's Arizona.

Not great though...

I was at the Montreal game last saturday, I would say there were easily 1500-2000 empty seats, with about 60% Habs fans, at least...
    I am far from comfortable financially at the moment. I just decided to stop going out to restaurants or drinks to save some money, to keep my 2 to 3 Sens games a year alive.

I think it's safe to say the Sens fans are not that hardcore compared to all the other canadian cities.

EDIT: the $15 parking is major bullcrap though
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16329
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:34 am

LeCaptain wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I assume it's because of the Jays game.  The Sens don't have the strongest season ticket base, but we have a pretty powerful walk-up, but that Jays game just shut the city down basically.  Plus, it's midweek, plus it's Arizona.

Not great though...

I was at the Montreal game last saturday, I would say there were easily 1500-2000 empty seats, with about 60% Habs fans, at least...
    I am far from comfortable financially at the moment. I just decided to stop going out to restaurants or drinks to save some money, to keep my 2 to 3 Sens games a year alive.

I think it's safe to say the Sens fans are not that hardcore compared to all the other canadian cities.

EDIT: the $15 parking is major bullcrap though

This is entirely true. Bell's Corners/Kanata/Stittsville seems to be made up of the elderly and young families. The families can't really afford the $/time, and the older folks just don't really care for the most part. My father-in-law lives in Kanata, and I've tried numerous times to bring him to a game (for free), and he says he's not interested at all. Factor in the location of the arena, and it's not like people are heading there with their buddies after work for a night out....

I really hoped that the Finals run in '07 would help generate a more passionate fan-base, and I think it did for a couple years (like what the Jays have done), but it seems people are becoming less interested again.

There's certainly a million other factors that play into this. I think a little winning and another playoff appearance will help rejuvenate the fan base.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47948
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:45 am

The high-tech sector was great for the team in the late '90s. I worked for Newbridge and they had a double-suite, plus a 200-level box. They were giving tickets as team rewards or when trying to attract newgrads. Although Newbridge may have been the biggest in the area at the time, there were lots of others as well. Then Cisco and RIM came to town, tons of startups -- all the suites were spoken for. Then all of a sudden they stopped giving out tickets to employees and started giving them to various local charities -- most likely for the tax breaks. Then they got rid of the double suite and the level-200 box. That was across the board. Most companies either did not have the money any more or did not need to get tickets (since others weren't doing it).

Right around the same time as the high-tech was melted down the high-definition TV industry was taking off. Back in '94 when I was watching an SD signal on my 31" TV the difference between live and livingroom was huge. Sure, having replays or using tape-delay (via VCR) was nice, but you could barely make out the faces and names; now you can see the stitching on their nameplates.

They need to make live more attractive by dropping prices (parking lot, concessions, even tickets), improving the transportation to/from (more shuttles? packages for dinner+game to get people to arrive early and game+dessert to get people to leave later?)

A lot of issues will be resolved with the move downtown, for sure. I just hope they anticipate all the new issues and have solutions in place.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13614
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:21 am

Moving the team downtown will likely only increase ticket prices as demand will increase.  Traffic to and from the game will get worse despite greater accessability to mass transit for sure.  I personally will leave my car parked at work at Tunney's Pasture and bus to and from the game; should I choose to go to a game during the week.  Arrive early and make a full evening out of it with dinner and drinks prior to the game.

- Unknown Author
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:47 am

Moving downtown will be huge. No matter if they increase ticket prices or not. Walk in will be a lot more. I don't know about you guys but if I'm planning for a night out in Ottawa, it doesn't include the out of the way trip to kanata. The arena being downtown and them developing a mini area with activities, restaurant and bars around the area will likely create a bigger draw of people and fans to the area before and after the game. If I'm Melnyk I'm staying invested with ownership of some of the businesses around. There is plenty more money to be made in a move. And look for a lot more sellouts as it will finally be within commuting distance for everyone in the city.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:10 pm

Flo The Action wrote:Moving downtown will be huge. No matter if they increase ticket prices or not. Walk in will be a lot more. I don't know about you guys but if I'm planning for a night out in Ottawa, it doesn't include the out of the way trip to kanata. The arena being downtown and them developing a mini area with activities, restaurant and bars around the area will likely create a bigger draw of people and fans to the area before and after the game. If I'm Melnyk I'm staying invested with ownership of some of the businesses around. There is plenty more money to be made in a move. And look for a lot more sellouts as it will finally be within commuting distance for everyone in the city.

I think the seating capacity will be lower, too.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Yeah...I'm more likely to just head to a game after work if the arena is downtown, and make an evening of it. The move will likely solve all the attendance issues. Hopefully the team doesn't go bankrupt between now and then.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:29 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:Moving downtown will be huge. No matter if they increase ticket prices or not. Walk in will be a lot more. I don't know about you guys but if I'm planning for a night out in Ottawa, it doesn't include the out of the way trip to kanata. The arena being downtown and them developing a mini area with activities, restaurant and bars around the area will likely create a bigger draw of people and fans to the area before and after the game. If I'm Melnyk I'm staying invested with ownership of some of the businesses around. There is plenty more money to be made in a move. And look for a lot more sellouts as it will finally be within commuting distance for everyone in the city.

I think the seating capacity will be lower, too.
    Maybe Im missing the point or fail to understand it (which is puzzling to me since I'm studying business) but it seems a current trend in some NHL markets. Reduce the seating capacity means less tickets to sell. Why? The only explanations I would think would be to make the seating better and the experience around the seating better which would in turn augment the price they could charge for the seats which you then only have to sell to less people. (Which hasn't been shown to work so far)
    I haven't seen the new section they just built with a bar downstairs but if there is ever a good experiment to show how they should construct a new arena then that's definitely it. It's interesting and possibly lucrative. (I mean having bars in your watching areas without missing the game could drive up the sell of beer if that's what people are gunning for.
    Personally I prefer the original model of butts in seats and the arena being more central I think it makes more sense.

Im by far not a successful business graduate so I might be totally out to lunch. Laugh1
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:31 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah...I'm more likely to just head to a game after work if the arena is downtown, and make an evening of it.  The move will likely solve all the attendance issues.  Hopefully the team doesn't go bankrupt between now and then.

I guess the key to preventing that would be to win a Stanley cup. Sarcasm
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47948
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:38 pm

I think the seating capacity needs to be aligned with your customer base size. No matter the size of the arena you want to always be sold out and always have people walk away from the ticket outlet disappointed they could not score a pair of tickets. No matter how bad the product, if there is always a shortage of available tickets then you will have demand (Leafs). They can't increase the Ottawa area population, so they decrease the number of seats. Doing it by creating different areas (lounges, more bars, etc.) will allow you to increase the seating capacity at some later time.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:40 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Yeah...I'm more likely to just head to a game after work if the arena is downtown, and make an evening of it.  The move will likely solve all the attendance issues.  Hopefully the team doesn't go bankrupt between now and then.

I guess the key to preventing that would be to win a Stanley cup. Sarcasm

If you want people to buy your product, you build a good product. Let's get that Cup.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:41 pm

There just aren't enough thick and thin fans in and around town to fill a rink, no matter where it's located. I think the novelty of a new arena will draw big crowds for about 3 years but I'm not sure how it will go beyond that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:51 am