GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Share

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48298
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by wprager on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:46 am

    Early season favorite for the Sens' Masterton nom?

    MarkStone
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 138
    Registration date : 2016-09-27

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by MarkStone on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:53 am

    wprager wrote:And there's your NHL first star of the week.  They should give Nicholle one as well.  

    They give up 3 minors in the first and come out having given up just 7 shots on goal?  How did Edmonton end up with 37?  I see from the face off stats the Oilers were 55%, so they must have kicked that up a few notches after the first (Sens were winning something like 80% at that time).

    Hoffman learns a lesson that you score more often from closer in, perhaps.  Say what you will about him, he's still leading the Sens in shots on goal.  With his shot, eventually they start going in.

    Phaneuf leads the way with 6 blocked shots and no PIMs.  Solid game by the veteran.  Let's hope this is the start of a trend.  

    Karlsson with more short-handed ice time than powerplay icetime.  Take that you weenie hockey writers.

    You can't coach something like this but you can certainly take advantage of it as a coach.  What a team-building moment.

    Sens leapfrog over Tampa into 3rd in the Atlantic.

    Dubnyk had three shutouts and will be first star

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48298
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by wprager on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:21 am

    Guess we'll see.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48298
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by wprager on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:23 am



    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2032
    Age : 88
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:21 am

    MarkStone wrote:
    wprager wrote:And there's your NHL first star of the week.  They should give Nicholle one as well.  

    They give up 3 minors in the first and come out having given up just 7 shots on goal?  How did Edmonton end up with 37?  I see from the face off stats the Oilers were 55%, so they must have kicked that up a few notches after the first (Sens were winning something like 80% at that time).

    Hoffman learns a lesson that you score more often from closer in, perhaps.  Say what you will about him, he's still leading the Sens in shots on goal.  With his shot, eventually they start going in.

    Phaneuf leads the way with 6 blocked shots and no PIMs.  Solid game by the veteran.  Let's hope this is the start of a trend.  

    Karlsson with more short-handed ice time than powerplay icetime.  Take that you weenie hockey writers.

    You can't coach something like this but you can certainly take advantage of it as a coach.  What a team-building moment.

    Sens leapfrog over Tampa into 3rd in the Atlantic.

    Dubnyk had three shutouts and will be first star

    What a gutsy win. Oilers look like a real force to be reckoned with.

    This is the type of game that if built on can go a long way for a young team. EDM was 7-1 coming into this game and Ottawa's fate in Calgary should have been a lot better.

    Good W Sens. Now they have beaten Mtl and Edm. Win the next two (which should be feasible) and they'll have a 7-3 start to the year. Can't ask for much better than that.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by PTFlea on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:17 am

    Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Pyatt was one of the steals of the offseason.   skates hard, is a Wing Dang Doodle in the corners, has some sneaky skills, excellent positionally.  Dorion looks great on that one.
    Boucher looks great on that one.
    Who hired boucher and signed Pyatt though?

    StickmanDancing
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48298
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by wprager on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:17 am

    I think next game will be very tough, coming home after that emotional rollercoaster of a road trip. Thank heavens it's Carolina and not in Raleigh. If they get past that one then they could go on a bit of a roll.

    After Carolina we have Vancouver on the second game of their Eastern swing, playing the second of back-to-back nights. Going East the time change often gets you 2-3 days into the trip, and the night before they'll be chasing the Smurfs all over the Bell Centre ice. Plus we already know we can beat them.

    After Vancouver we have home-and-home with Buffalo, with Nashville in-between. All winnable games.

    Then back home to host LA. LA without Quick is not the same team and, just like Vancouver, they will be playing the second game in two nights after chasing those same Smurfs the previous day. Their Montreal game is an afternoon affair, so they won't be as tired as the Canucks, but hopefully they'll be full of turkey (I take it the afternoon game is because it's the US Thanksgiving).

    After LA we host Minnesota (time for Boucher to prove the Sens made the right choice), then a quick trip to Philly before coming back to host Nashville and Florida.

    Honestly, I'm not in mortal fear of any of those. They could go on a serious run if they can get past the Hurricanes. And after all those games I mentioned, they head to Montreal.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by PTFlea on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:04 am

    It's boucher's job to make sure they take it one game at a time now because that was a big win last night
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 46
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:04 pm

    wprager wrote:I think next game will be very tough, coming home after that emotional rollercoaster of a road trip.  Thank heavens it's Carolina and not in Raleigh.  If they get past that one then they could go on a bit of a roll.  

    After Carolina we have Vancouver on the second game of their Eastern swing, playing the second of back-to-back nights.  Going East the time change often gets you 2-3 days into the trip, and the night before they'll be chasing the Smurfs all over the Bell Centre ice.  Plus we already know we can beat them.

    After Vancouver we have home-and-home with Buffalo, with Nashville in-between.  All winnable games.

    Then back home to host LA.  LA without Quick is not the same team and, just like Vancouver, they will be playing the second game in two nights after chasing those same Smurfs the previous day.  Their Montreal game is an afternoon affair, so they won't be as tired as the Canucks, but hopefully they'll be full of turkey (I take it the afternoon game is because it's the US Thanksgiving).

    After LA we host Minnesota (time for Boucher to prove the Sens made the right choice), then a quick trip to Philly before coming back to host Nashville and Florida.  

    Honestly, I'm not in mortal fear of any of those.  They could go on a serious run if they can get past the Hurricanes.  And after all those games I mentioned, they head to Montreal.

    I know I'm looking pretty far ahead but after we beat those teams, I can't wait to kick the Dung out of Montreal.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by PTFlea on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:05 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    wprager wrote:I think next game will be very tough, coming home after that emotional rollercoaster of a road trip.  Thank heavens it's Carolina and not in Raleigh.  If they get past that one then they could go on a bit of a roll.  

    After Carolina we have Vancouver on the second game of their Eastern swing, playing the second of back-to-back nights.  Going East the time change often gets you 2-3 days into the trip, and the night before they'll be chasing the Smurfs all over the Bell Centre ice.  Plus we already know we can beat them.

    After Vancouver we have home-and-home with Buffalo, with Nashville in-between.  All winnable games.

    Then back home to host LA.  LA without Quick is not the same team and, just like Vancouver, they will be playing the second game in two nights after chasing those same Smurfs the previous day.  Their Montreal game is an afternoon affair, so they won't be as tired as the Canucks, but hopefully they'll be full of turkey (I take it the afternoon game is because it's the US Thanksgiving).

    After LA we host Minnesota (time for Boucher to prove the Sens made the right choice), then a quick trip to Philly before coming back to host Nashville and Florida.  

    Honestly, I'm not in mortal fear of any of those.  They could go on a serious run if they can get past the Hurricanes.  And after all those games I mentioned, they head to Montreal.

    I know I'm looking pretty far ahead but after we beat those teams, I can't wait to kick the Dung out of Montreal.

    Totally.
    avatar
    Hobiesens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 812
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-11-06

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by Hobiesens on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:58 pm

    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48298
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by wprager on Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:11 pm

    Given the circumstances, I don't think Dubnyk will mind all that much. It's not like his next contract depends on it.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by PTFlea on Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:23 pm

    Phaneuf was great, Ceci looked a world better, Neil and Kelly continue to impress.

    And seriously, who the Diddle is Tom Pyatt???
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48298
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by wprager on Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:31 pm

    PTFlea wrote:Phaneuf was great, Ceci looked a world better, Neil and Kelly continue to impress.

    And seriously, who the Diddle is Tom Pyatt???

    He was a Rangers' fourth rounder coming out of the lockout year. Picked one spot ahead of Niklas Hjalmarsson. Maybe in another year he could have been a second/third rounder (after the lockout year you had had two draft years represented) but that's rather debatable. What he is now is a guy trying to get back into the NHL after spending some time in Europe. Good for him for taking advantage of this opportunity but let's not fool ourselves, here -- he's a 3rd/4th liner .


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54629
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by PTFlea on Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:32 pm

    wprager wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Phaneuf was great, Ceci looked a world better, Neil and Kelly continue to impress.

    And seriously, who the Diddle is Tom Pyatt???

    He was a Rangers' fourth rounder coming out of the lockout year.  Picked one spot ahead of Niklas Hjalmarsson.  Maybe in another year he could have been a second/third rounder (after the lockout year you had had two draft years represented) but that's rather debatable.  What he is now is a guy trying to get back into the NHL after spending some time in Europe.  Good for him for taking advantage of this opportunity but let's not fool ourselves, here -- he's a 3rd/4th liner .

    Third liners who can play against any line and contribute offense from time to time are very valuable. We got a good one.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48298
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by wprager on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:04 pm

    We got several, add do most teams.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48298
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by wprager on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:05 pm

    Pyatt had one thing going for him, the coach's trust.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 46
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:14 pm

    wprager wrote:Pyatt had one thing going for him, the coach's trust.

    Yes. And speed, tenacity, defensive awareness and good hands.

    Sponsored content

    Re: GDT - Game #8: Sens @ Oilers, Oct 30, 2016, 9:00pm

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:07 pm