Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12918
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Re: NHL Awards: Sens Edition

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:57 pm

Yeah I think barring injuries we can all call foul if karlsson doesn't win the Norris. I'm sure some will say it's Brent burns time and some will point to Weber but enough with these it's time for someone else to win. You either have the biggest impact in the game as a D man or you don't. With karlsson taking his game to another level (again) this year, I think he should be a shoe in.

Anderson might see the Mastodon but I wonder if he qualifies. I mean it's his wife that is suffering from cancer, as much as it is emotionally dameaging for him does he actually qualify for the award? Doesn't it have to be coming back from something? I'm not saying he can't or shouldn't win it, im just unsure of the qualification that needs to be met to win.

Stone for the Selke makes a lot of sense. But they will likely give it to a center.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:12 pm

Flo The Action wrote:Yeah I think barring injuries we can all call foul if karlsson doesn't win the Norris. I'm sure some will say it's Brent burns time and some will point to Weber but enough with these it's time for someone else to win. You either have the biggest impact in the game as a D man or you don't. With karlsson taking his game to another level (again) this year, I think he should be a shoe in.

Anderson might see the Mastodon but I wonder if he qualifies. I mean it's his wife that is suffering from cancer, as much as it is emotionally dameaging for him does he actually qualify for the award? Doesn't it have to be coming back from something? I'm not saying he can't or shouldn't win it, im just unsure of the qualification that needs to be met to win.

Stone for the Selke makes a lot of sense. But they will likely give it to a center.

I'm betting Stone is a lock for top-5 voting for Selke. He probably won't win though. With guys like Kopitar and Bergeron out there, it's a tough battle.

And you nailed it with the bolded comment.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:16 pm

If Anderson can maintain, it'll be tough to not at least nominate him for the Vezina.

Karlsson for Norris.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:32 pm

Karlsson will be up for the Norris and maybe MVP if he keeps going like he is now.

Boucher could be up for the Jack Adams if we make the playoffs.

Stone could be up for the Selke.

Anderson or MacArthur will be up for the Masterton (each team nominates someone).
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47669
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:59 pm

If Anderson finishes in the top 5-3, statistically (GAA, SV%, SO) then he could very well get the Vezina. And he should, absolutely, be eligible for the *Madrid in* (I purposely tried to type mastodon and that's what it "corrected" it as). Since each team gets to nominate longer player the Send will have a decision on their hands between Anderson and MacArthur for the Masterton (there, I added it to the keyboard's dictionary).

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:13 pm

Stone for Selke might take another year or two. Last season he was only 18 thy in the voting, with Pageau ahead of him at 16th. Stone was -4 and Kopitar was +34. That number must be normalized somehow to the team's goal differential, but I suspect reputation had a lot not to do with the votes than stats. So he needs to get a reputation as a good +/- player and that could take a year or two.

Interestingly, I don't see takeaways mentioned here:
    http://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2016.html

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:34 pm

wprager wrote:If Anderson finishes in the top 5-3, statistically (GAA, SV%, SO) then he could very well get the Vezina. And he should, absolutely, be eligible for the *Madrid in* (I purposely tried to type mastodon and that's what it "corrected" it as). Since each team gets to nominate longer player the Send will have a decision on their hands between Anderson and MacArthur for the Masterton (there, I added it to the keyboard's dictionary).

If he's a finalist, that's a win on its own. Dubnyk has been sensational and Price is Price.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Taking a look, Weber is still +16 on a +20 team (goal differential). Karlsson is only +5 but on a -1 team. By comparison, Shattenkirk is -2 and the Blues are -1, just like the Sens. So it would really be interesting to see where Karlsson would be if the Sens were +20. Very rough calculation -- Sens would have to have 21 more goals to make them +20 in goal differential, and since Karlsson is involved in 1/3 of the team's offense that's another +7 for him, for a total of +12. Weber is still ahead but not by nearly as much.

Doughty was +24 when he won last year and you'd better believe that had a lot to do with the win (EK was -2). Realistically, if Karlsson is +10 (and leading the D in scoring, and still playing in all situations) he's got a shot. Weber turned a lot of heads early on and those are some stubborn necks out there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:07 am