GDT - Game #32: Sens @ Isles, Dec 18, 2016, 7:00pm

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24760
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Re: GDT - Game #32: Sens @ Isles, Dec 18, 2016, 7:00pm

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:23 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:We're gonna have to go ahead and win this one. Young Smitty heating up...

Great post.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54245
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:01 am

I look forward to a MacArthur - Smith - Pageau line, or a Dzingel - Smith - Pageau line. Anything that completes our top 9 will please me greatly.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12928
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:02 am

PTFlea wrote:I look forward to a MacArthur - Smith - Pageau line, or a Dzingel - Smith - Pageau line.  Anything that completes our top 9 will please me greatly.  
    Who's playing right wing on that line? I don't ink we should move smith to center if that's what you are suggesting. He's much better when he's playing on he wing.

With mac coming back it makes me wonder about the lines next year. We really need to upgrade on that 2nd line LW. That said let's just wait and see if mac makes it the rest of the year.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16256
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:59 am

It's nice to see Ryan finally getting a couple goals, but these last couple have been total flukes. I won't complain if he scores 30 that way, but time will tell....

Anyway, good W last night. Ya gotta beat up on the crap teams and stay competitive with the good teams. Nice to see Stone and Smith get hot. The poor Hamburglar...he looked good there briefly, and then hurt himself on a nothing play, probably because he's a little out of shape.

I feel so bad for Johnny T. That guy is going to be hopping on the first train out of there, whether it's a trade or via free agency.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47682
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:16 am

If we have a third line that looks something like Mac-Pageau-Smitj and it truly is our third line (meaning two other lines that are increasingly better) then we would definitely be competing for there Cup. But then we would have a third line with a cap hit of around $7.5M (and going up when Pageau gets a raise from his $900K).

Mac is paid like a top six forward.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:36 am

wprager wrote: If we have  a third line that looks something like Mac-Pageau-Smitj and it truly is our third line (meaning two other lines that are increasingly better) then we would definitely be competing for there Cup.  But then we would have a third line with a cap hit of around $7.5M (and going up when Pageau gets a raise from his $900K).

As they noted on the broadcast last night, the Sens haven't had a full, healthy lineup at all this year. Between Mac, Anderson, etc etc, it's pretty impressive that they are where they are.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:04 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:I look forward to a MacArthur - Smith - Pageau line, or a Dzingel - Smith - Pageau line.  Anything that completes our top 9 will please me greatly.  
    Who's playing right wing on that line?  I don't ink we should move smith to center if that's what you are suggesting. He's much better when he's playing on he wing.

With mac coming back it makes me wonder about the lines next year. We really need to upgrade on that 2nd line LW. That said let's just wait and see if mac makes it the rest of the year.

Pageau would play wing because I don't see another option.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:21 am

Everyone's hot and horny to get Smith out of the top 6 again, but I think he's proven over the last couple games (and last year) that maybe he should stick around there?
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:40 am

tim1_2 wrote:Everyone's hot and horny to get Smith out of the top 6 again, but I think he's proven over the last couple games (and last year) that maybe he should stick around there?  
    It's all about a powerful top 9 though, right?
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:52 am

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote: If we have  a third line that looks something like Mac-Pageau-Smitj and it truly is our third line (meaning two other lines that are increasingly better) then we would definitely be competing for there Cup.  But then we would have a third line with a cap hit of around $7.5M (and going up when Pageau gets a raise from his $900K).

As they noted on the broadcast last night, the Sens haven't had a full, healthy lineup at all this year.  Between Mac, Anderson, etc etc, it's pretty impressive that they are where they are.  
    Even with a healthy line-up. Mac hasn't really played hockey in close to 2 years, the chance that he's gonna come on the ice and be a 20+ goal scorer aren't that good.
    I would really be happy if he was our 3rd line winger. If he stayed healthy.
    That said we still need a legit 2nd line LW
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:54 am

See I don't know.
    To me it's not so much about the fact that we can fill spots on the line-up with guys that can play in those spots but more of the quality of guys that are in those spots. I still think we need upgrades on some of our guys if we truly want to compete for a cup.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:17 am

tim1_2 wrote:

As they noted on the broadcast last night, the Sens haven't had a full, healthy lineup at all this year.  Between Mac, Anderson, etc etc, it's pretty impressive that they are where they are.  

Everyone looks at their goal differential and thinks that this team is not as good as their record indicates. But the other way to look at it is that they've had to deal with injuries/etc (don't forget Ryan, Lazar missing the first 20 because of mono, Stone missed most of the camp, Methot/Phaneuf have been less than 100%, Boro/Hoffman suspensions) and because of that are not winning by more than one goal very often. But they *are* winning. 6 points up on the Florida teams means they will still be top-three in the Division at the break. Chicago will be a tough one because they are just humming. Typically Anderson would get the start there (his home town) but this time around, not having practiced in over a week, even if he was back with the team you'd think Condon will get the start. Then we host what should be a pretty tired Ducks team before the Christmas break. Anaheim will be playing their 6th game in 9 nights on the road, 3rd game in four nights. With any luck we get 3 points out of those two games. Panthers play Buffalo and Boston -- could very well be 0 points for them, there. Lightning have Detroit and St. Louis, so not easy for them, either. We could, conceivably, hold a double-digit lead. That's pretty much insurmountable at any point in the season, but especially after 30 games.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:19 am

Flo The Action wrote:

See I don't know.
    To me it's not so much about the fact that we can fill spots on the line-up with guys that can play in those spots but more of the quality of guys that are in those spots. I still think we need upgrades on some of our guys if we truly want to compete for a cup.

And what I'm saying is *because* he's getting paid like a top-six we won't be upgrading anytime soon.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:45 am

wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

See I don't know.

And what I'm saying is *because* he's getting paid like a top-six we won't be upgrading anytime soon.
    That could very well be true. Poor attendance won't convince Melnyk to spend more. Even though it should be the other way round.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:54 am

I think you focus on defence this year.  Upgrade the 2nd pairing so Ceci can anchor the 3rd pairing.

Or go all in for Duchene.   Still love that guy and we don't have a game breaking forward.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:24 pm

PTFlea wrote:I think you focus on defence this year.  Upgrade the 2nd pairing so Ceci can anchor the 3rd pairing.

Or go all in for Duchene.   Still love that guy and we don't have a game breaking forward.

Ceci has had several games where he's had more five-on-five ice time than Karlsson. Last night he had the most ice time (total ice time) of all skaters for both teams. Doesn't sound like someone being groomed for the third pairing. Could be he's being showcased, or they just want to keep Karlsson fresher for the powerplays and the post-season. Regardless, you won't see him on the third pairing next year.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24760
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:20 am

PTFlea wrote:I think you focus on defence this year.  Upgrade the 2nd pairing so Ceci can anchor the 3rd pairing.

Ceci is the golden boy. We (the fans) are stuck with him stinking it up for the next decade.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:39 am

It does seem that Ceci's being showcased to increase trade value, but I have a hard time imagining Boucher would do that given the dogfight it's going to be to make the playoffs. The ice time thing is weird.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:23 pm