Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12918
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:53 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I am also not sure if it was already discussed but MacArthur missed practice Friday afternoon. He had been practicing all week with the team and was supposed to have gone a rigorous physical test per the concussion protocol at some point last week.... I guess we'll be hearing sooner than later if he's coming back or not.

Sucks to say this but I think it might be better for him if he didn't. He seems really fragile and I'd hate for him to get another concussion that would leave him in a much worse state.

It would also put dorion in a position to finally have to address the real problem of a Top 6 LW instead of this hoping that MAc can magically solve that issue.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47670
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by wprager on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Mac missed Friday's skate but then was back on Saturday. It's possible he was doing his baseline test on Friday as he did say he was hoping to get it finished "this week". He also missed today's practice. But it's possible that he was going over the results of the test.
    I think they'll have another morning skate tomorrow before leaving for St. Louis. It'll be interesting to see if he's back on the ice on Tuesday and whether he goes with the team on the road trip.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    I think so too that how the team is spending is being reflected in attitudes on the team. But also every team makes bad trades. So we can't say Melnyk should be pissed. His job is to support the moves management has made and to give them the means to repair the, or to make them make the best situation out of them. We have to appreciate that Dorion might be trying to move Ryan as it may become an even bigger burden down the road. It might even come to the point where the best solution would be to buy him out. The problem there is cheapskate Melnyk won't do it. That is money lost and he won't take on that negative spending.

He puts all the emphasis on management having to dig itself out without giving them a helping hand. Sometimes it's the owner that has to take a hit for some of the bad work that the management hes hired does.
    And if it means spending more in some seasons to make us more competitive then so be it.
    We will have to give raises to turris, stone and karlsson. That will eat away at the cap space but that space is likely to go up as well.
    I just hope we aren't paying 4 mill per season for 5 years for a guy like smith who will likely see 3rd or 4rth line duties once some of our prospects graduate.

On the bolded part, the Sens have already committed to spending the money on Ryan's contract. Buying him out and replacing his offense with a cheaper player may actually save money. They just have to exhaust all possibilities (which include trading and the possibility of Bobby "snapping out" of this funk).

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:03 pm

wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    I think so too that how the team is spending is being reflected in attitudes on the team. But also every team makes bad trades. So we can't say Melnyk should be pissed. His job is to support the moves management has made and to give them the means to repair the, or to make them make the best situation out of them. We have to appreciate that Dorion might be trying to move Ryan as it may become an even bigger burden down the road. It might even come to the point where the best solution would be to buy him out. The problem there is cheapskate Melnyk won't do it. That is money lost and he won't take on that negative spending.

He puts all the emphasis on management having to dig itself out without giving them a helping hand. Sometimes it's the owner that has to take a hit for some of the bad work that the management hes hired does.
    And if it means spending more in some seasons to make us more competitive then so be it.
    We will have to give raises to turris, stone and karlsson. That will eat away at the cap space but that space is likely to go up as well.
    I just hope we aren't paying 4 mill per season for 5 years for a guy like smith who will likely see 3rd or 4rth line duties once some of our prospects graduate.

On the bolded part, the Sens have already committed to spending the money on Ryan's contract. Buying him out and replacing his offense with a cheaper player may actually save money. They just have to exhaust all possibilities (which include trading and the possibility of Bobby "snapping out" of this funk).
    I completely agree. I was more speaking in terms of a few years down the road.
    It is entirely possible that the sens find a trading partner, maybe Vegas takes a flyer to have a big name or if pigs fly Ryan finds his 30 goals form again.
    There's a number of possible scenarios. But say he's a 15 goal scorer down the road, I doubt they buy him out since Murray seems against any costs like that that.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:44 am

Karlsson has zero SOGs in 4 of his last 8 games. I think there are 103 or 104 people ahead of him in shots this year. He's between Marchessault and Nyqvist. Karlsson has 94 shots on the year. For contrast, Burns has 167. I mean, what?!?
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:03 am

spader wrote:Karlsson has zero SOGs in 4 of his last 8 games. I think there are 103 or 104 people ahead of him in shots this year. He's between Marchessault and Nyqvist. Karlsson has 94 shots on the year. For contrast, Burns has 167. I mean, what?!?

That's interesting. A bit worriesome. Maybe he's trying to do too much defensively. He shouldn't forget to shoot, hes got a great shot!
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:43 am

I think they are trying to see what or would be Luke of he paced himself. Remember when he had his achilles tendon cut, he came back or of shape but rested. Got 8 points in 10 games in the post season. He was slow and the team was tired, but he was effective. Imagine how much better he would be of tested (relatively speaking) but healthy.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:43 am

Yeah, Karlsson's shots are way down, and his blocked shots are way up. As has been said, the Sens have traded some offense for defence. Which is fine, if it leads to better results...the jury's still out.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24754
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:48 am

spader wrote:Karlsson has zero SOGs in 4 of his last 8 games. I think there are 103 or 104 people ahead of him in shots this year. He's between Marchessault and Nyqvist. Karlsson has 94 shots on the year. For contrast, Burns has 167. I mean, what?!?

He misses the net a TON!!!! It's really frustrating.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:23 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:

He misses the net a TON!!!! It's really frustrating.

He seems to be trying to hit guys for tips a lot of the time (see Hoffman's goal against Pittsburgh)...but he'd be better served by just trying to hit the net for sure!
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:31 am

It must be a conscious thing to try to create rebounds. He'll need to go on a big point run if we're to make the playoffs, so hopefully it works itself out
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:32 am

Any word on Mac? I would imagine he's targeting Saturday, but all is quiet.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:46 am

PTFlea wrote:Any word on Mac? I would imagine he's targeting Saturday, but all is quiet.

All I've seen lately are reports that scream "setback" to me. Not sure where you're getting a Saturday return?
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:12 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Any word on Mac? I would imagine he's targeting Saturday, but all is quiet.

All I've seen lately are reports that scream "setback" to me. Not sure where you're getting a Saturday return?

It's right in line with what was predicted if he could pass the baselines. The setback stuff you're referring to is no news on the tests? Or Dorion and Boucher sitting down to talk about it? Not sure if that's setback stuff, or prepping for action. Ahhhhh!
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:18 am

PTFlea wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

It's right in line with what was predicted if he could pass the baselines. The setback stuff you're referring to is no news on the tests? Or Dorion and Boucher sitting down to talk about it? Not sure if that's setback stuff, or prepping for action. Ahhhhh!

You'll find the latest here:

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senatorsextra/boucher-pleased-with-progress-as-senators-prime-for-playoff-push

Nothing conclusive but it looks like he's not going on the road trip, as originally planned. And "further examination" may be needed, according to Boucher.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:24 am