Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by spader on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:So the sens have more regulation wins than the leafs but even amount of points. How the hell are they ahead of us in the standings? Ok, so they have more goals for but since when is that the barometer to gauge who is ahead in a tie? Ridiculous.

That's wrong unless they have less games played. It's regulation wins and OT wins that determine standings, followed by head to head records.
    Same amount of games played. Look it up for yourself on tsn.
    Again, putting the nations darling ahead of us, without any regards towards the rules.
    Soon they'll just give them an automatic playoff spot because they're the leafs.

They each have 19 ROWs. Where are you guys getting your info from? Also, I believe the season series is tied at 1 win each (right?), but since the Sens win came in OT, the Leafs have gotten 3 points to the Sens 2 in the season series and therefore are correctly slotted ahead of the Sens.

The tie breaking procedure goes like this:
    1. Points percentage (or fewer games played)
    2. Most ROW
    3. Season series point
    4. Best goal differential

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13128
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Lazard makes it to 12th on the list of players that could be moved leading up to the deadline (tsn)
    One could only hope. Although I doubt Lazard is delt in any deal for a rental. I'm sure his name is out there.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:45 pm

spader wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:So the sens have more regulation wins than the leafs but even amount of points. How the hell are they ahead of us in the standings? Ok, so they have more goals for but since when is that the barometer to gauge who is ahead in a tie? Ridiculous.

That's wrong unless they have less games played. It's regulation wins and OT wins that determine standings, followed by head to head records.
    Again, putting the nations darling ahead of us, without any regards towards the rules.
    Soon they'll just give them an automatic playoff spot because they're the leafs.

They each have 19 ROWs. Where are you guys getting your info from? Also, I believe the season series is tied at 1 win each (right?), but since the Sens win came in OT, the Leafs have gotten 3 points to the Sens 2 in the season series and therefore are correctly slotted ahead of the Sens.

2. Most ROW
    3. Season series point

The sens have 22 regular wins with 4 OTL
    The leafs have 20 regular wins with 8 OTL, how are they ahead of us. It makes no sense that they should be ahead of us. We've won more games and played the same amount of games.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47960
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:36 pm

It's not "regular" wins it's ROW -- Regulation or Overtime Wins. The Sens won a few games in the Shootout, which don't count.

Anyhow, bottom line is they have the same number of points, in the same number of games played, with the same number of ROWs. But in head-to-head competition the Leafs have 3 points and the Sens only 2, so that loser point is currently the difference between the Leafs making the playoffs or missing out.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:

2. Most ROW
    3. Season series point

The sens have 22 regular wins with 4 OTL
    The leafs have 20 regular wins with 8 OTL, how are they ahead of us. It makes no sense that they should be ahead of us. We've won more games and played the same amount of games.

Prags is right. You're looking at wins, but you need to look at ROW. The "wins" column includes shootout wins.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:35 pm

It's interesting none-the-less that the Sens have more wins, but fewer regulation-or-overtime wins. But in days of old when nights were cold and shootouts weren't invented, the Sens would have 41 points to the Leafs' 44. So we are benefiting from loser points (OT losses) and also the extra point for shootout wins.

How about we just win a couple games, get ahead of Boston and Toronto and then we don't have to worry about these shenanigans?

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:52 pm

Flo The Action wrote:Lazard makes it to 12th on the list of players that could be moved leading up to the deadline (tsn)
    One could only hope. Although I doubt Lazard is delt in any deal for a rental. I'm sure his name is out there.

It should have been out there when he had value.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16331
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Bruce says the Sens expect Anderson back after the all Star break, and expect he'll be around for the final 30 games of the season.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:01 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Bruce says the Sens expect Anderson back after the all Star break, and expect he'll be around for the final 30 games of the season.
    Not a moment too soon. Condom has done exceptionally well but if we could get Anderson back and into shape with as many games as possible (within limits obviously) so that he can be hot when the playoff start(if we're in)
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:30 pm

A fresh Anderson and an undertaxed Karlsson. Maybe we finally beat the Leafs.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54432
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:47 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Bruce says the Sens expect Anderson back after the all Star break, and expect he'll be around for the final 30 games of the season.

Yeah, I must say Condon has been amazing - pretty much our MVP - but he needs a break. Condon and Anderson are a very nice 1-2 punch. Sign that dude to an extension.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:07 am

Bit of a problem. If he's signed then he can be taken by Vegas. Of course of he is not signed then he is a UFA.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:15 am

wprager wrote:Bit of a problem. If he's signed then he can be taken by Vegas. Of course of he is not signed then he is a UFA.
    I think if condon would wind up being the extension casualty to Vegas we'd be in a pretty good spot
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:35 am

Risk worth taking, yeah.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:28 pm

I don't really think it's a risk. It's not like they can say to him "We'll sign you right after the draft, we promise." And I'm assuming the draft would be held after any and all arbitration -- so you couldn't qualify a player who then doesn't sign and goes to arbitration -- technically unsigned therefore not eligible for the draft. I think.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1953
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:49 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:Lazard makes it to 12th on the list of players that could be moved leading up to the deadline (tsn)

We all thought we had a stud on our hands with Lazar. This isn't the first time it has happened with a Sens prospect (see: Cowen, Daigle, etc)

The only way we get value for Lazar is in a package deal. I also think Ceci is grossly over-rated. Lots of ice-time but he's -11 with 5 points on the season. That's not counting all of the times opponents have scored while the Sens are on the PK with Ceci on the ice. Wideman is a +5 with 9 points on the season playing with Boro. Phaneuf with 18 points and a -3.

I think Wideman can handle a few extra minutes if needed. Chabot will likely be in the NHL next year. Michael Stone is a UFA. Arizona likely looking to off-load.

Package our 1st, Ceci, and Lazar for Duchene.
    Trade a mid-round pick for Stone

Go Sens Go
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:08 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

We all thought we had a stud on our hands with Lazar. This isn't the first time it has happened with a Sens prospect (see: Cowen, Daigle, etc)

The only way we get value for Lazar is in a package deal. I also think Ceci is grossly over-rated. Lots of ice-time but he's -11 with 5 points on the season. That's not counting all of the times opponents have scored while the Sens are on the PK with Ceci on the ice. Wideman is a +5 with 9 points on the season playing with Boro. Phaneuf with 18 points and a -3.

I think Wideman can handle a few extra minutes if needed. Chabot will likely be in the NHL next year. Michael Stone is a UFA. Arizona likely looking to off-load.

Go Sens Go

First, I think Colorado would want Chabot + 1, Lazar doesn't matter to them. 2nd, Ceci plays heavy, hard minutes against opponent's top lines. You put little Wideman in that position and you're asking for disaster.

The only way I think we can make it with trading Ceci is moving Claesson into the 4th D-man position and moving Phaneuf over to the right, but even then...

Mid round pick for Stone would be nice, but he's the type of player than can net a 3rd or even a 2nd come the trade deadline.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:24 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

Go Sens Go
    I would jump on that offer in a heartbeat. Unfortunately if that's the offer we send to Colorado now I think they pass and revisit it in the off season when more teams get on the bidding. My guess is then they might get a better offer. But who knows, maybe they really like ceci and lazar. Of course they would ask for chabot. But that's not happening.

Personally in terms of going into the playoffs we might be better served by keeping ceci. This is a deal that takes place before the expansion draft so we can retain Methot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:06 am