Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Share

    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:01 pm

    PTFlea wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Ceci's been pretty good from about game 15 on.  I wouldn't mind at all keeping him around, not sure how we can do that.  Can we do a 4 forward/4 defence/1 goalie expansion thing?

    If so, do you protect Pageau or Dzingel over Ceci, or do you let Vegas pick one of them?

    Anyway...in my eyes, Ceci's on ice hockey IQ is a step below most and that's gonna cost him in the long run.  He's very slow to react sometimes and makes his decision an instant too late.  I've noticed this for the last year or so, I guess I wasn't really noticing it before, but I doubt you can fix that.  That's his problem.  Everything else about his game is good.

    Keep stubbornly insisting that Ceci is a good player, like you did with young Lazar. Until you realize I was right all along about this player too. As usual. I see you're headed that way having finally realized the low hockey IQ problem.

    How can you watch the games and not think Ceci is a good player?  He's fine, but his low hockey IQ will stop him from ever being more than that.

    I'll take my assessment of players over yours any time Mr. Lazar is Fantastic.  

    Laugh1 Okay.


    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by spader on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:40 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:The thing with defencemen toois that there always seems to be a bunch of 2nd pairing guys available every year via free agency, so Ceci wouldn't be that hard to replace.

    When was the last time we made a worthy addition to the top 4? Gonchar, when Melnyk still had delusions about us winning a cup (going far into the playoffs)

    I wouldn't put much stock into us doing anything significant in the FA market. Mostly depth at a cheap price.

    You can't really go by the past. This off-season will be different. The expansion draft will have an impact.

    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1861
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Oglethorpe on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:50 pm

    Ceci turned 23 last week and is improving. If we moved him out we would have a brutal 2nd pair. Go through some other teams and look at their second pair and then you will be thankful we have Ceci.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13131
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:56 pm

    spader wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:The thing with defencemen toois that there always seems to be a bunch of 2nd pairing guys available every year via free agency, so Ceci wouldn't be that hard to replace.

    When was the last time we made a worthy addition to the top 4? Gonchar, when Melnyk still had delusions about us winning a cup (going far into the playoffs)

    I wouldn't put much stock into us doing anything significant in the FA market. Mostly depth at a cheap price.

    You can't really go by the past. This off-season will be different. The expansion draft will have an impact.
    The expansion draft is a good point but I'm not sure if that will affect the FA market in a positive way. If anything it will have created greater competition for the few FA out since team will lose a player and that will surely price Ottawa out.
    So does Ottawa address that via trade? That would be the most likely scenario. But not likely via FA as that's what we were talking about.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16335
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by tim1_2 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:01 am

    Dorion confirmed this morning that MacArthur will not return this season.  Boooourns.

    I think we all kind of thought this might happen after the Sieloff hit...well all of us except for Young Ev who said concussions were overblown. Young Ev seems to have deserted us though, so I guess there's no one left to argue.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13131
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:28 am

    Well what a surprise. I'd advance his career is likely over but they won't say it so he can collect his pay check till the end of his contract. It might be preferable for him if he does, no one wants to see him go through that again.

    Now what the hell is dorion going to do about his spot! Please not Purcell, please not percell, please not....
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24766
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:39 am

    Flo The Action wrote:Well what a surprise. I'd advance his career is likely over but they won't say it so he can collect his pay check till the end of his contract. It might be preferable for him if he does, no one wants to see him go through that again.

    Now what the hell is dorion going to do about his spot! Please not Purcell, please not percell, please not....

    I believe "Purcey" Purcell is the target.

    more to come
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13131
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:44 am

    Per garrioch: "the asking prices are ridiculous, almost" -Dorion

    C'mon dorion, there isn't going to be any more bargain bin buys for a good player. Off course we have no clue how much money he has a right to play with and bring in. I'd put that 1st in play and then some if i was management.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13131
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:45 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:Well what a surprise. I'd advance his career is likely over but they won't say it so he can collect his pay check till the end of his contract. It might be preferable for him if he does, no one wants to see him go through that again.

    Now what the hell is dorion going to do about his spot! Please not Purcell, please not percell, please not....

    I believe "Purcey" Purcell is the target.

    more to come

    Yes because somehow the sens have found a jewel there that all the other teams passed on. Facepalm
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54441
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:52 am

    Diddle, that's that for MacArthur I guess.  That sucks
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47977
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:46 am

    Shame for Mac,  but this is good news for the Sens.  First,  it's better to know for sure than have things to in the air. Second,  80% of his salary is covered by insurance so the tram has something like $1.9M that they budgeted but did not spend. That was the figure I hearda sorry while back. Now that they know he will miss the whole season that number will go a lot higher. It's not 80% of the full $4.65M because I think only LTIR portion is covered but it will be well north of $3M.  That kind of scratch can get you quite a large upgrade St the deadline. Sure,  we would have to give something up,  but at least we can afford it.

    Also,  Dorion saying the asking price is ridiculous is simply negotiating via media.


    Last edited by wprager on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13131
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:51 pm

    Dorion says teams are asking for white or chabot for players in trades and won't pay that price and fair enough. But he says he's had talks with many GM's. Fair enough. He's also said he's happy with the team he has in front of him... hold on.

    If we're gonna take a flyer on a guy why not check the price on a guy like Duclair instead of going for a guy like Purcell?
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24766
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:09 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:Dorion says teams are asking for white or chabot for players in trades and won't pay that price and fair enough. But he says he's had talks with many GM's. Fair enough. He's also said he's happy with the team he has in front of him... hold on.

    If we're gonna take a flyer on a guy why not check the price on a guy like Duclair instead of going for a guy like Purcell?

    Who says we haven't?

    I definitely wouldn't move Chabot but I'm not convinced White even really wants to play here so Snore-ion better be all ears.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13131
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:16 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:Dorion says teams are asking for white or chabot for players in trades and won't pay that price and fair enough. But he says he's had talks with many GM's. Fair enough. He's also said he's happy with the team he has in front of him... hold on.

    If we're gonna take a flyer on a guy why not check the price on a guy like Duclair instead of going for a guy like Purcell?

    Who says we haven't?

    I definitely wouldn't move Chabot but I'm not convinced White even really wants to play here so Snore-ion better be all ears.

    What makes you think white doesn't want to play here?
    He'd have to play two more years of college to become a UFA. Not going to happen. That's exaggerated pessimism. I have not seen anything to suggest white doesn't want to play here or won't play here. In fact we're likely to see him in Ottawa before the season even ends.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47977
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:23 pm

    White had the chance to sign a pro contract and play in the AHL or even Ottawa this year. Instead he chose to stay at BC. I doubt he stays to finish his degree so what's the difference between doing the first year or the first two years before stopping? I think there's room for a little concern.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13131
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:08 pm

    wprager wrote:White had the chance to sign a pro contract and play in the AHL or even Ottawa this year.  Instead he chose to stay at BC.  I doubt he stays to finish his degree so what's the difference between doing the first year or the first two years before stopping?  I think there's room for a little concern.


    Mmmmmhhhh the sens chose for him to go back to university. White wanted to play for Ottawa IIRC.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24766
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:55 pm

    Flo The Action wrote:
    wprager wrote:White had the chance to sign a pro contract and play in the AHL or even Ottawa this year.  Instead he chose to stay at BC.  I doubt he stays to finish his degree so what's the difference between doing the first year or the first two years before stopping?  I think there's room for a little concern.


    Mmmmmhhhh the sens chose for him to go back to university. White wanted to play for Ottawa IIRC.

    Since when do the Sens choose to not sign their 1st round picks? There's no chance they chose to send him back to school.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54441
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:59 pm

    I think the Senasnores were very pleased not to burn a year on his ELC and have him compete at BC.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:21 am