General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by spader on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Flo The Action wrote:Yeah, to me this speaks of owner jumping the gun. This team hasn't had enough time to fully rebuild. This is a decision that should have came next year or the one after. Since when can owners expect a full rebuild to take less than 3 years? That's a joke.

You can point to tades like Kane or to an extent Lehner as to why it didn't work out but they weren't disasters and could still be valuable. There was maybe some laps in judgement on whether Kane could prove to mature but they got a fairly good return for Myers.
    Plus they got ROR for a bag of pucks (well not really) and that was a huge win.

Maybe Timmy jumped the gun and started adding players via trade a year or two early to become competitive and not Pegula is looking at Toronto and asking why aren't they in the playoffs.
    Sorry there Pegula but it's not that easy. But hey! Start the musical chair game. That always does wonders for a franchise.

They've had musical chairs for a while now. How many coaches have been there since Ruff got canned?

We also don't know what went on behind the scenes. It's totally possible (and plausible) that Pegula gave some specific targets (like improve possession stats by x amount or something) and GMTM and Bylsma failed to reach them. Of course, it's also possible that he's responding to Eichel's "request" or just acting impulsively. My point is that we don't know why or how this went down.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12924
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:54 pm

spader wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:Yeah, to me this speaks of owner jumping the gun. This team hasn't had enough time to fully rebuild. This is a decision that should have came next year or the one after. Since when can owners expect a full rebuild to take less than 3 years? That's a joke.

You can point to tades like Kane or to an extent Lehner as to why it didn't work out but they weren't disasters and could still be valuable. There was maybe some laps in judgement on whether Kane could prove to mature but they got a fairly good return for Myers.
    Plus they got ROR for a bag of pucks (well not really) and that was a huge win.

Maybe Timmy jumped the gun and started adding players via trade a year or two early to become competitive and not Pegula is looking at Toronto and asking why aren't they in the playoffs.
    Sorry there Pegula but it's not that easy. But hey! Start the musical chair game. That always does wonders for a franchise.

They've had musical chairs for a while now. How many coaches have been there since Ruff got canned?

We also don't know what went on behind the scenes. It's totally possible (and plausible) that Pegula gave some specific targets (like improve possession stats by x amount or something) and GMTM and Bylsma failed to reach them. Of course, it's also possible that he's responding to Eichel's "request" or just acting impulsively. My point is that we don't know why or how this went down.
    Im not sure of what happened. But no matter how you slice it, it's hard to see a positive out of this. Besides I doubt it's the owner's job to dictate playing styles to the GM on how the coach should be. It's the owner's job to hire a GM in which he beleaves in the vision and that Gm's job to pick a coach who can deliver the vision of team style.

The owner did do what you would expect, and that's fire the whole damn lot. But before the draft? Before they get a chance to look over candidates? Usually you have someone in mind to do that. This reeks of reactionary.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:47 pm

It very well could be. And I didn't mean to suggest that he'd prescribe playing styles. But if I was an NHL owner, I'd definitely have targets. That might be something like, "Improve the power play" or something along those lines. Something easily measurable. I'd make damn sure that my GM had some specific targets to work with.

But ya, it definitely seems reactionary.

EDIT: A measurable goal could also be something like, "win more games than you did last year." That's something an owner could definitely ask for and expect from a GM and a coach. They regressed from 35 wins and 81 points to 33 wins and 78 points. That could be reason enough.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1853
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:00 pm

I would bet that Eichel's agent went to the owner about the coach and Murray refused to get rid of him. The Murrays are very very loyal.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:21 pm

I didn't realize that Pegula signed GMTM to an extension this October. Ya, this looks pretty bad.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:28 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:
    spader wrote:
    PTFlea wrote:Also the results were horrendous. Owners don't wait for years for a rebuild anymore, especially not with marquee players like Eichel, ROR and Lehner. Not good enough.

Laughing3You sure about that list? In what universe is Lehner on the same page as Eichel?

Lehner's good. I agree he's nowhere near Eichel, neither is ROR IMO, but he's a very solid starter for Barfallo.

I honestly thought Buffalo was a year or two away from being top 3 in the division. They have some really interesting players in their lineup, a few prima donnas yes, but they could be a really good team with the right system. If Moulson, Okposo, and Kane have strong years they could make the playoffs next year. That said, they will probably try to move a few guys and be a leaner, younger team next year.

Kane could be a hit in Vegas if they decide to take a chance on him.
    Yah, I think they'll be good soon too. Something is wrong with this here. Eichel and his agent I think.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Yeah. I forgot about the extension. It's not like there was a total regression on the part of the team. They pretty much stagnated. Eichel missed half the season. Lehner got injured. It was bound to be an off year. I sure hope they weren't expecting playoffs?
    There is more than meets the eye here.
    Also, I don't think Tim was that loyal that he got tossed for sticking to his man. And the way he talked about it. Nothing permanent.

And if it was eichel, who the Diddle is this kid that dictates the team coaching and to an extent the GM? Wow. Wouldn't want that situation. You can dislike the coach but no way would you use your contract as leverage to get a coach fired.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Well, it looks like the West is pretty wide open. Blackhawks swept. Anyone pick Nashville in 4? Laugh1
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:27 pm

spader wrote:Well, it looks like the West is pretty wide open. Blackhawks swept. Anyone pick Nashville in 4? Laugh1

No but I'll take it!
    Nice to change things up a little. Maybe there's more surprises out there?
    This might open the races up quite a bit. Who becomes the favourites? In the west Anaheim? Depending who comes out of the Edmonton San Jose series maybe San Jose? I doubt it. Maybe this is nashvilles year.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:57 pm

The hawks keep their core? I would assume so, but...if they could find a taker for one of Seabrook or the like, do they break them up?
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:15 am

I don't think the Hawks are going to break anything up. It's not like they're really old or anything. They'll assume this was a blip on the radar instead of the beginning of the end.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:58 am

The Hawks are done. They had zero depth this year. That series was extremely predictable
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47671
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:37 pm

tim1_2 wrote:I don't think the Hawks are going to break anything up. It's not like they're really old or anything. They'll assume this was a blip on the radar instead of the beginning of the end.

Blip? That's two years in a row out in the first. And this time they got swept.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Ev wrote:The Hawks are done. They had zero depth this year. That series was extremely predictable

Really? I ask because you called it in 6. If it was extremely predictable, wouldn't your prediction have been correct? Laugh1 scratch
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:I don't think the Hawks are going to break anything up. It's not like they're really old or anything. They'll assume this was a blip on the radar instead of the beginning of the end.

Blip? That's two years in a row out in the first. And this time they got swept.

I agree. The years of trading away scoring depth and up-and-coming players might finally be catching up with them. I underestimated Nashville though. That's a real impressive performance they put together.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20773
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:39 pm

spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:The Hawks are done. They had zero depth this year. That series was extremely predictable

Really? I ask because you called it in 6. If it was extremely predictable, wouldn't your prediction have been correct? Laugh1 scratch

i didn't mean the number of games. But I knew for sure Nashville would take it
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47671
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:

i didn't mean the number of games. But I knew for sure Nashville would take it

So, how much money did you make on them?

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Unsurprisingly karlsson and Burns named for the Norris. hedman the third candidate. Very deserving also. If I'm not mistaken this is hedman's first time nominated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:56 pm