General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20698
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by Ev on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:39 pm

spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:The Hawks are done. They had zero depth this year. That series was extremely predictable

Really? I ask because you called it in 6. If it was extremely predictable, wouldn't your prediction have been correct? Laugh1 scratch

i didn't mean the number of games. But I knew for sure Nashville would take it

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47518
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:The Hawks are done. They had zero depth this year. That series was extremely predictable

Really? I ask because you called it in 6. If it was extremely predictable, wouldn't your prediction have been correct? Laugh1 scratch

i didn't mean the number of games. But I knew for sure Nashville would take it

So, how much money did you make on them?

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12771
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Unsurprisingly karlsson and Burns named for the Norris. hedman the third candidate. Very deserving also. If I'm not mistaken this is hedman's first time nominated.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16164
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:07 pm

spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:I don't think the Hawks are going to break anything up.  It's not like they're really old or anything.  They'll assume this was a blip on the radar instead of the beginning of the end.

Blip? That's two years in a row out in the first.  And this time they got swept.

I agree. The years of trading away scoring depth and up-and-coming players might finally be catching up with them. I underestimated Nashville though. That's a real impressive performance they put together.

So what do you think the Hawks are going to do? Pretty sure they ain't getting rid of Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith, or Crawford.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:04 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:I don't think the Hawks are going to break anything up.  It's not like they're really old or anything.  They'll assume this was a blip on the radar instead of the beginning of the end.

Blip? That's two years in a row out in the first.  And this time they got swept.

I agree. The years of trading away scoring depth and up-and-coming players might finally be catching up with them. I underestimated Nashville though. That's a real impressive performance they put together.

So what do you think the Hawks are going to do?  Pretty sure they ain't getting rid of Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith, or Crawford.
    I was wondering that myself. Maybe they think of moving hossa?
    They should probably do some retooling.
    They have some young guys that still need time to progress. This aint the end of the world.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Hossa will likely retire. He only makes 1 million now.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:46 am

Ev wrote:Hossa will likely retire. He only makes 1 million now.
    You don't think he's got any more hockey in him? It would solve a few problems for Chicago. They're not stuck with his salary on the cap right?
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:14 am

Actually I bet hossa will be traded to a team like Ottawa where salary matters more than cap hit.

It would be a great match
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:04 am

Ev wrote:Actually I bet hossa will be traded to a team like Ottawa where salary matters more than cap hit.

It would be a great match
    That sounds awfully like the briere to Ottawa bets...

But In all seriousness I wouldn't mind a guy like Hosea here but I'm not sure where he would play. It's Ryan and stone on the right and likely burrows on the third line right wing. I'm not sure where that leaves Hossa. What we need is an upgrade on the left side for our second line.
    To me it's
    Hoffman
    Xxx
    MacArthur
    Dzingel
    On the left.

Not even sure where that leaves white in all this. Right wing fourth line?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:18 am

Kings to name John Stevens as their next head coach.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:57 am

wprager wrote:Kings to name John Stevens as their next head coach.
    That was expected.
    Wonder if he'll have much luck. The kings are Ina bit of a mess when it comes to the cap. The GM is in for a tough place to try and make it work.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:28 pm

What will happen in Montreal, I wonder. Can't fire the coach but the GM has to go, I would expect. Radulov probably just proceed himself out of Montreal. Not a lot of prospects outside of Sergachev and those already here (when McCarron is listed add your #2 on the prospect list you are in trouble ). Price is entering his final year and rumors persist that he will head out West. Galchenyuk has been unable to stick as a top six center (Julien moved him to wing). Plekanec and Markov are old and Weber isn't far behind.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16164
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:52 am

Pierre McGuire seemed to think that only "minor" tinkering was needed in Montreal, but then basically said they need a big centre that can play on line 1 or 2. Pacioretty and Price are both UFAs after next season. I can see them resigning Pacioretty, but Price will be difficult. How much does the best goalie on the planet deserve to get paid? $7M?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:06 am

tim1_2 wrote:Pierre McGuire seemed to think that only "minor" tinkering was needed in Montreal, but then basically said they need a big centre that can play on line 1 or 2.  Pacioretty and Price are both UFAs after next season.  I can see them resigning Pacioretty, but Price will be difficult.  How much does the best goalie on the planet deserve to get paid?  $7M?  

With Price money is not going to be the issue. They will need to convince him why he should stay here. He is a BC boy and, guess what, the Canucks will need a goalie pretty soon. If they extend Miller or sign someone else for a short deal that could signal they will be making a pitch for Price if he goes UFA.

As for Pacioretty, I said that from the beginning, that he was not the best choice for Captain. Now they are either stuck with him being a 30-35 goal scorer but not much of a leader, or they trade him like they've done with so many Captains before him (I don't think they would have the balls to give the 'C' to someone else; then, again, whoever comes in as the next GM might do just that).

Their prospect pool is a little shallow, they must change their GM and we're just weeks away from the draft. I think it's a lot more than just tinkering that's needed.

P.S. Maybe Pierre was auditioning for the GM job by saying only minor changes are needed Smile

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Canucks to hire Travis Green as head coach.

Jumbo played with a torn MCL *and* ACL.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:05 pm

Islanders submitting a bid to build a new arena at Belmont Park. Their 25-year lease at Barclays has a clause to pull out Jan. 2018, so end of the 2018-19 season they would be looking for a new home. The old Nassau Colosseum (with a face lift) could be used in the short-term until a new arena is built.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54135
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:07 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Pierre McGuire seemed to think that only "minor" tinkering was needed in Montreal, but then basically said they need a big centre that can play on line 1 or 2.  Pacioretty and Price are both UFAs after next season.  I can see them resigning Pacioretty, but Price will be difficult.  How much does the best goalie on the planet deserve to get paid?  $7M?  
    7 million for price?  10 minimum imo

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1798
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:43 pm

PTFlea wrote:
    7 million for price?  10 minimum imo

I can see them going after Kovalchuk. If they can re-sign Radulov, then maybe taking a run at Kovalcuk wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Send Galchenyuk + back to NJD. This would probably make Markov sign a one or two year extension. They could turn into the Moscow Canadiens with all the Russians they would have in their line up. Still doesn't address the issue of not having a 1C

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:28 am