General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12996
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:00 pm

Totally mishandled. Should have taken that NYI deal. Probably as good as it's going to get.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47790
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Umm, what?

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2017/09/11/22751680.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

Senators' Karlsson may (be) out of lineup until November

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:11 pm

wprager wrote:Umm, what?

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2017/09/11/22751680.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

Yeah saw that.

You know, it's not a good thing but it means we will likely get more energy out of him and it will be a good barometer on how good we can be without him. Opportunity for someone to step up. Could also mean this gets chabot playing time right off the bat.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54296
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:34 pm

wprager wrote:Umm, what?

Well...that's not good...
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:51 pm

We'll need a Calder Finalist type of season from Chabot. That's all.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Kinda crazy all this talk about the flames possibly moving with no new arena in sight. They have quite a good fanbase and one that goes to the games too. Earlier you felt this was a ploy to try to get the city to budge to get some funding but this has a different tone this time.

There are going to be some extremely angry fans if the city relocates. Then again, is it really up to the province/city to provide funding for an arena? I'm divided on that one. Maybe if it can be calculated that it improves the economic strength of the region.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1922
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:36 pm

I feel like the mayor in Calgary will be gone before the Flames move. Either way the Alberta economy is not good right now and under an NDP government I just don't see the province moving in. We have to remember that the league operates in USD, it generates far less money than other professional leagues, and the US has a lot more invested in the 'sports' industry than Canada. Additionally when a franchise is worth <$1B and an arena costs more than $1B it's a tough sell. Canadian teams (minus the Leafs) need provincial and municipal subsidies.

We will see this being an issue next summer when the NCC can't stick to a plan and schedule. Melnyk will threaten to relocate the team. The problem is Watson is a huge sports fan and wants to see this successful but his hands are tied with the LRT right now.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:44 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I feel like the mayor in Calgary will be gone before the Flames move. Either way the Alberta economy is not good right now and under an NDP government I just don't see the province moving in. We have to remember that the league operates in USD, it generates far less money than other professional leagues, and the US has a lot more invested in the 'sports' industry than Canada. Additionally when a franchise is worth <$1B and an arena costs more than $1B it's a tough sell. Canadian teams (minus the Leafs) need provincial and municipal subsidies.

We will see this being an issue next summer when the NCC can't stick to a plan and schedule. Melnyk will threaten to relocate the team. The problem is Watson is a huge sports fan and wants to see this successful but his hands are tied with the LRT right now.

There's no freaking way an arena should cost 1 billion.
    Go back to the drawing board because someone is lining pockets if it so.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1922
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:29 pm

$640M

http://www.tsn.ca/report-seattle-agrees-to-tentative-arena-deal-1.854039

It was a generalization
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16281
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:32 pm

Obviously the Flames aren't going anywhere. That shouldn't need to be said out loud.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Obviously the Flames aren't going anywhere. That shouldn't need to be said out loud.

They probably thought that before the Jets left all those years ago.

- Unknown Author
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Cost of extracting oil from that sands is dropping. Economy could recover pretty soon.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:21 pm

If they can't get a new stadium what are they supposed to do?

- Unknown Author
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:34 pm

Continue playing in the Saddledome?

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:03 pm

TSN.ca might as well be renamed leafs/oilers.ca... every little shred of news is covered. Cussing overkill
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:29 pm

GreasyLeafs.ca

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Demers for mcginn. Straight up. That's a ridiculous low price for a right handed dman. Granted demers didn't have a spectacular time in Florida he's still top 4
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10055
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Flo The Action wrote:Demers for mcginn. Straight up. That's a ridiculous low price for a right handed dman. Granted demers didn't have a spectacular time in Florida he's still top 4

Tallon is disintegrating Rowe's moves. Hard reset.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:34 am