General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16437
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by tim1_2 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:38 am

what's a risk PP opportunity

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48173
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:14 pm

tim1_2 wrote:what's a risk PP opportunity

No idea. Should've been something like "total", but that doesn't look like "risk" at all.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:29 am

Turris with a goal and an assist in his first game in a mustard jersey. Preds beat the Penguins in a shootout.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13245
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:08 pm

wprager wrote:Turris with a goal and an assist in his first game in a mustard jersey. Preds beat the Penguins in a shootout.

Well I guess that settles it. Preds won this trade Sarcasm
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54585
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:29 pm

Duchene with 8 shots last night though. 8!
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    wprager wrote:Turris with a goal and an assist in his first game in a mustard jersey. Preds beat the Penguins in a shootout.

Yep, and Avs got absolutely fleeced.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:00 pm

wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

Here's hoping you just forgot the Sarcasm emoji.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:13 am

wprager wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:

To be serious for a second, I think the Avs f'd up that trade. They got a lot of quantity, but nothing of the blue chip variety. This normally happens when you trade a star player (see: Spezza, Heatley)...nice that it happened to someone else though.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1881
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:05 am

The Avs got Girard. Without Nashville as the 3rd team the Avs were insisting on Chabot. Sakic got the blue chipper he wanted.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:09 am

Oglethorpe wrote:The Avs got Girard. Without Nashville as the 3rd team the Avs were insisting on Chabot. Sakic got the blue chipper he wanted.

Yeah, I think the jury's still out on that kid. He put up a ton of points in Junior in the Q. He looks pretty good. He might be a home run.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Girard for Duchene is not a good trade.
    Sens' first pick from last year (a very late 1st rounder) appears to be on a trajectory to be a 3rd liner, as is the case with the 1st round pick they are getting. Their record outside of the top-10 isn't great:

2010: #17 overall Joey Hichon - 13 NHL games
    2011: #11 overall, DDuncan Siemens - 4 games
    2012: #41 overall Mitchell Heard -- ever heard of him? me neither
    2013: #32 overall Chris Bigras - 41 games
    2014: #23 overall Conner Bleackley - 0

Too soon for anything more recent, but I doubt it will be very different. Truth is that this is likely very similar for other clubs. The reason you see more great picks outside of round 1 (and early round 2) is because there simply are more of them (2-7 is 6 picks, if you hit a homerun 1 in 10 you get a late-round gem every couple years).

All that to say that a late 1st is about as valuable as a 2nd or 3rd or 5th. You're probably getting a 3rd liner in 3-5 years. And you already have 3-4 potential 3rd liners from every draft.

So I don't think it's completely off-the-wall to say that the Avs got Girard and a couple lottery tickets for Duchene.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2001
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:16 am

Jagr with 5 points in 8 games
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 am

They got a lot of lottery tickets for Duchene. Girard is the big piece - and he looks really good. But is that enough for Duchene? A late-ish to mid round 1st is always nice to put in the bank, a 2nd is good, Bowers is nothing special. Kamenev looks good statistically. He looks to be improving every year in the AHL and is coming off a 20 goal, 50 point season in 70 games to go with 12 points in 13 games this year. 6'2", 200 pound winger, 21 years old.

So Girard and a bit of a long shot young player and picks for Duchene - with emphasis on the 1,2,3 round picks being late - especially with Nashville.

It's okay. It's not the coup they wanted in Colorado. They wanted Serg from Montreal or Chabot from Ottawa. Girard looks good, we'll see.

The fact that they had to wait almost 2 years to make that trade is foolish though. Shows that Sakic is too nervous for his own good.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Habs claim Niemi off waivers.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:31 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Habs claim Niemi off waivers.

Lol, wow.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Montoya has a concussion and Pice has his yearly day-to-week-to-month injury. If/when Price or Montoya are healthy, can they simply waive Niemi back?

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:54 pm

They can waive him again, yeah. Is that what you mean?
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13245
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:12 pm

So quick question. Where does one park when going to the CTC when they dont want to pay the 30$ parking fees and dont mind walking a bit?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:47 pm