General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49248
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Strong move. But when was the last time Russians win anything in Olympics hockey? Nothing since the Bronze in Salt Lake City.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:29 pm

Oh, crap, I didn't realize it was every door. I thought it was just hockey.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 17126
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:56 am

Looks like the salary cap will go up $3M next year, which should help the Sens in their quest to resign guys.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 14290
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:47 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Looks like the salary cap will go up $3M next year, which should help the Sens in their quest to resign guys.

Yeah, you couldnt get a better timing. Even though two of these signing dont go into effect for another year.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 am

https://www.tsn.ca/rumour-mill-major-pens-trade-on-the-horizon-1.943527

Maybe we make a deal with the Pens. Crysby for Ceci. Straight up.

DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2682
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 am

I caught the Caps/Avs game in Washington this week. A few observations:

1) Their arena was right downtown. The stadium was empty for the first 10-15 minutes of the first period but was completely full afterward. The bars surrounding the area were all packed; similar to what we get at Red Blacks games with Lansdowne.

2) The in-game experience was meh. They had no live band, the music was bland, no hokey events during intermission, etc. But the fans were loud and really into the game. I guess this goes hand in hand when your team wins.

3) I think the most important thing to note was the age of the fans. In Ottawa you get the 'family' crowd. I think the average 'family' is finding the games to be too expensive. In Washington, the average age from what I saw was around 25-30 years old. The crowd was very young and very engaged. Probably due to the fact that it was right downtown. People in Washington tend to live in the suburbs.

4) Concessions were more expensive than Ottawa. A shot of moonshine was $13 USD and a Papa Jean mini pan-pizza (just cheese) was $10 USD. Beer was the standard $10 USD. However, my ticket (nosebleeds) was $6 USD and I moved to standing room in the 100s.

Overall a very different dynamic. With the move to LeBreton I am hopeful that a younger crowd goes to the game. It created a lot of buzz and energy. And with better accessibility and public transit I hope people feel as though they can drink and enjoy themselves before and afterward. The big draw as well was the number of people who showed up before the game and bought tickets at the arena. I anticipate less than 1% of ticket sales are bought at the arena in Ottawa. Having a more central arena, albeit still not right downtown, will hopefully lead to this as will the other venues and attractions at LeBreton.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:18 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I caught the Caps/Avs game in Washington this week. A few observations:

1) Their arena was right downtown. The stadium was empty for the first 10-15 minutes of the first period but was completely full afterward. The bars surrounding the area were all packed; similar to what we get at Red Blacks games with Lansdowne.

2) The in-game experience was meh. They had no live band, the music was bland, no hokey events during intermission, etc. But the fans were loud and really into the game. I guess this goes hand in hand when your team wins.

3) I think the most important thing to note was the age of the fans. In Ottawa you get the 'family' crowd. I think the average 'family' is finding the games to be too expensive. In Washington, the average age from what I saw was around 25-30 years old. The crowd was very young and very engaged. Probably due to the fact that it was right downtown. People in Washington tend to live in the suburbs.

4) Concessions were more expensive than Ottawa. A shot of moonshine was $13 USD and a Papa Jean mini pan-pizza (just cheese) was $10 USD. Beer was the standard $10 USD. However, my ticket (nosebleeds) was $6 USD and I moved to standing room in the 100s.

Overall a very different dynamic. With the move to LeBreton I am hopeful that a younger crowd goes to the game. It created a lot of buzz and energy. And with better accessibility and public transit I hope people feel as though they can drink and enjoy themselves before and afterward. The big draw as well was the number of people who showed up before the game and bought tickets at the arena. I anticipate less than 1% of ticket sales are bought at the arena in Ottawa. Having a more central arena, albeit still not right downtown, will hopefully lead to this as will the other venues and attractions at LeBreton.
    youre probably right.
    Montreal benefits from those exact same things. The crowd is 50% or over people in their 20s or 30s.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Scheifele out 6-8 weeks with UBI.

Kreider out indefinitely after blood clot discovered in his arm. Will be gone a couple months, at least.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:35 pm

I wonder what the cost would be to acquire Anthony Duclair. Not sure for the sens but in general.
    His stock has been in steady decline.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:37 am

Flo The Action wrote:I wonder what the cost would be to acquire Anthony Duclair. Not sure for the sens but in general.
    His stock has been in steady decline.

The problem is Arizona would also want "futures" back...it's not like we'd be trading them Zack Smith or anything.
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2204
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:09 pm

Maybe Nick Paul
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:Maybe Nick Paul
    That would be good
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:31 pm

How is Montoya worth a 5th or a 4rth?
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2204
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Post by Oglethorpe on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    That would be good
    I think Id rather have nick Paul.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:03 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    That would be good
    I think Id rather have nick Paul.
    Upside with duclair is 2nd line Winger, upside with Paul (at this moment) is 3rd line wing. If he makes the league. Both players could use a change of scenery.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21497
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Remember when I said Jagr was done before the seasons started?
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:11 pm

Ev wrote:Remember when I said Jagr was done before the seasons started?

Yeah, good call.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Ev wrote:Remember when I said Jagr was done before the seasons started?

I also remember when you said we were signing Danny Briere, and you also said Toronto would miss the playoffs this year.

The good news for Jagr is he can go play in the Olympics (assuming his contract in Calgary gets terminated) and then he can sign another contract after that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:35 am