General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47957
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:24 pm

I just don't see the Leafs changing their DNA in one season. Their schedule going forward is not easy. Finishing up the season against the Caps, Bolts, Pens and Jackets. Not a lot of easy gashes down the stretch.

No idea why they got Boyle. They need wingers. A big fourth line center is not going to help a lot.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by spader on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:51 pm

wprager wrote:
    I just don't see the Leafs changing their DNA in one season. Their schedule going forward is not easy. Finishing up the season against the Caps, Bolts, Pens and Jackets. Not a lot of easy gashes down the stretch.

No idea why they got Boyle. They need wingers. A big fourth line center is not going to help a lot.

You do realize I wasn't making a prediction, right? scratch

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:18 am

Tampa picked up a point last night. They sit two back of the Islanders, who hold the last Wildcard spot. The Bolts are tied in points with Florida, and one back of the Leafs. All of these teams have one game in hand on Tampa.

It's getting really tight.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by spader on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:11 pm

wprager wrote:Tampa picked up a point last night. They sit two back of the Islanders, who hold the last Wildcard spot. The Bolts are tied in points with Florida, and one back of the Leafs. All of these teams have one game in hand on Tampa.

It's getting really tight.

I feel like this is particularly relevant for the Boston, Toronto, NYI, and Florida fans out there. The Sens are in a good spot right now. I'd bet money that they'll make the playoffs at this point.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:30 pm

I'm going to watch the Leafs/Red Wings game tonight (while eating homemade donair and poutine...my body is a temple). Here's my prediction: Leafs storm out to a 3-0 lead. Leafs lose 4-3 in regulation.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16331
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:55 pm

spader wrote:I'm going to watch the Leafs/Red Wings game tonight (while eating homemade donair and poutine...my body is a temple). Here's my prediction: Leafs storm out to a 3-0 lead. Leafs lose 4-3 in regulation.

You got the 3-0 part right. I hope you will have the rest right too.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Nyquist scored late in second and early in third to make it close, but Leafs hang on to win in regulation. So they are currently back in a playoff spot.

However the Islanders are ahead 1-0 (on Ho-Sang's first, assisted by Prince).

EDIT: Oilers just tied it up. Perhaps the Leafs will keep their playoff spot a little longer.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Panthers lost to the Rangers in regulation. The two Florida teams now have the same number of points and have played the same number of games.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:25 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    spader wrote:I'm going to watch the Leafs/Red Wings game tonight (while eating homemade donair and poutine...my body is a temple). Here's my prediction: Leafs storm out to a 3-0 lead. Leafs lose 4-3 in regulation.

You got the 3-0 part right. I hope you will have the rest right too.

My prediction was pretty close. They finally hung on to a lead though. Meh. They'll end up crashing and burning one way or another.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:58 am

Damned Leafs and Habs both won last night......oh well, we just got to take care of our games.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13614
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:24 am

The three remaining match-ups vs. the Habs will be what determines where we are at the end of the season more than likely.

I'm not so sure we want first in our division anyway do we? The first round opponent would be much better if we stay in 2nd place I think.

- Unknown Author
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:The three remaining match-ups vs. the Habs will be what determines where we are at the end of the season more than likely.

I'm not so sure we want first in our division anyway do we? The first round opponent would be much better if we stay in 2nd place I think.

I think the Sens can beat Boston/Florida/Toronto if they end up in that 3-slot, but I also think the Sens can beat NYR in 7, so I'm more in the "keep winning and beat whoever you face" camp. GoSensGo!
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:56 pm

Philly in Toronto tonight. The Flyers are two points back of the Leafs, and three behind the Islanders who hold down the last playoff spot. Should be a good game.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:01 pm

Breaking! Price has the flu and won't play. Sens are 4 back with 2 in hand. Hmmmm.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:48 pm

wprager wrote:Breaking! Price has the flu and won't play. Sens are 4 back with 2 in hand. Hmmmm.

Excellent.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:31 am

Tampa's win vaults them past both Florida and Philly. But three forwards (Johnson, Namestnikov, Plaquette) went down with an assortment of knee/ankle injuries last night. Some of them looked bad.

Toronto best the Flyers convincingly but remain out of a playoff spot as the Islanders needed OT but still got the two points in Vancouver.

With the win, though, the Leafs are just two back of the Bruins with a have in hand.

Karlsson had himself quite the night, assisting in the first goal, then scoring the tying goal and the OT winner for a three point night. He's only 6 points behind Burns but, more importantly, the team is just 2 back of the Habs with two games in hand.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:37 am

The Sens will play the Habs three times in eight nights. That's like a playoff round. Ottawa has three games to go before this showdown: Colorado to finish off this road trip, then back home to face Tampa and Chicago. The rash of injuries for the Bolts comes at a very opportune time. The Habs play Edmonton and Chicago. We will still have one game in hand but could be tied or even ahead in the standings.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:30 am

Lundqvist is going to miss two to three weeks. This might actually be a blessing in disguise for the Rags, who will now have a more rested Lundqvist going into the playoffs...They're pretty much cemented in that first wildcard spot.

In other news, Philly plays Boston at 1pm today which should be a dandy if anyone else is like me and hibernating for the day. Seriously. I just went to Costco and nearly froze to death in the parking lot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:50 pm